Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
The Wailing 
Burning Godzilla

The Wailing

2016 release, directed by Hong-jin Na

Starring Jun Kunimura, Jung-min Hwang, Do-won Kwak and more than a few other fine actors

PLOT SUMMARY: A policeman who lives and works in a small village in Korea is called out to the scene of an unattended death -- the wife of a ginseng farmer. He finds the place swarming with emergency personnel, the house surrounded by weeping neighbors and angry relatives, and a bloodsoaked man sitting exhausted on the front steps. Everyone inside has been stabbed to death. What in the world?

CLIFFIE'S NOTES:

>> This is the finest take on the exorcism film I have seen in many, many years. Maybe the best ever.

>> Interesting how they pit Christianity against old-school shamanism in here. The shamans are hotshot experts who inspire confidence; the priests are just sort of baffled, in an above-it-all, don't-bother-me-with-this way.

>> Great, great evildoers in here.

>> Nonpareil child actor in a major role! I didn't want to slap her once. She was brilliant and is sure to go on to bigger and better things.

>> In fact, all the acting in here was spot-on. I didn't even see a dud among the many extras in this story.

>> The police in this one -- especially the protagonist -- are nothing like American movie policemen. They spend a lot of time crying, screaming for help, and generally failing to emulate Arnold Schwarzenegger in any way.

>> I even liked the sets. You know how college students in American movies live alone in luxuriously appointed 2-bedroom condos instead of realistically jammed like sardines into one-room efficiencies? If this movie had crappy American sets, the cop would be living on a bit of an estate with a collection of classic cars. This whole story takes place in a humble village in a forested backwater of Korea, and everyone lives in a down-at-the-heel little place with a muddy driveway and dirty windows. The cop's wife squats on the back porch, doing laundry by hand in a bowl of water. No microwave! No electronic garage door opener! No garage!

>> Oh, the possessed? They were extraordinarily effective. I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley.

>> 2.5 hours long and felt like half an hour. It was THAT good.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]