Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Rings 
Burning Godzilla

Rings

2017 release, directed by F. Javier Gutierrez

Starring Matilda Lutz, Alex Roe, Johnny Galecki, and Vincent D'Onofrio

PLOT SUMMARY: Julia (Lutz) finds that she suddenly can't get hold of her devoted boyfriend Holt (Roe), who has been in touch daily since he left for college. An incomprehensible Skype call to Julia from an unidentified woman in Holt's dorm room -- her features are oddly distorted on the screen, as if Holt's computer were on the fritz -- deepens Julia's alarm, and she packs a bag and drives over there to see what's what. Holt's dorm room is unlocked, and his books, phone and everything else are just lying around waiting to be picked up. She decides to visit his favorite class and see if she can talk to his favorite instructor (Galecki). This leads her to discover a crazy research experiment the instructor is running, involving a certain haunted videotape you may have heard of in a movie with a very similar name -- and Holt appears to be in on this experiment somehow. WILL ANYONE SURVIVE?

CLIFFIE'S NOTES ON THIS BRAND-NEW 'RING' MOVIE:

>> In sharp contrast to the embarrassing joke that was The Ring 2, this one is dang good. Really satisfying. Just beautifully made -- in keeping with the original, but better.

>> The story is full of unexpected elements. You see something going on in this movie, and your mind immediately flips through the Rolodex of directions this segment of the film would normally take you. But you always wind up somewhere else that you never thought of. This is NOT an "I saw that coming from a mile away" movie.

>> This movie gets you started on understanding where Samara came from and who she was before the Morgans adopted her. Why she is the way she is. I didn't come away satisfied, but I came away feeling as if the answer to that question might be right around the next curve in the road.

>> Where The Ring was an attempt to out-and-out terrify the audience, Rings is pretty thought-provoking between the horrific moments. It reminded me of Ringu in that way, even though this story takes off in a totally different direction from anything in the original Japanese movie franchise or anything in Koji Suzuki's series of novels.

>> The visuals in this movie were simply gorgeous. Ravishing.

This one left me wanting much, much more. Dare I hope for another sequel that will take us even deeper into this bottomless mystery?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat May 06, 2017 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]