Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Kung Fu Styles Help 
Destoroyah

Greetings,

I look to this boards amazing insights into the strange and mystifying realms of the orient. As many of you know, i write the occasional game from time to time. I am currently working on a Poker card-driven Kung-fu game. Each character/model in the game has a chi pool that is a number of randomly drawn poker cards. They use these to move and perform other actions. Combat is essentially a version of War where high card wins, with different suits played being attack/defense cards. Players play from their pools, can swap cards, etc.

Now comes the hard part. To differentiate the Kung Fu schools I would like the players to be able to activate "Special Moves" when they play a face card. I am not familiar enough with Kung Fu (Real, Mythological, or Cinematic) to know what schools exist, what moves exist within those schools, and broadly speaking what the move does.

I would love if we talked through a Mix of real-life, fictional, and cinematic styles.

Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help!

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:44 pm
Burning Godzilla

Well, the list of schools and styles are endless. But let's take a look at a few key styles:

White Crane Style - characterized by high kicks, beak-like hand strikes, open-handed "wing" parries

Northern Mantis Style - Low stances; fingers curled into a fist except the index finger, which sticks out like a Mantis claw--used to grab the attacking arm or leg and throw the opponent down; in movies, the index finger is also used to pierce flesh

Snake Style - Open-handed strikes using the tips of the fingers to strike the eyes, throat, groin and solar plexus; features few blocking techniques and a lot of evasive techniques

Tiger Style - Fingers slightly curled in a non-uniform manner
to form a Tiger's Claw, used for tearing skin, tendons, ligaments, etc. Kicks are short and powerful.

Eagle's Claw Style - Fingers curled uniformly into a claw, used for tearing skin, grabbing and manipulating pressure points, and performing joint locks. Kicks are high and acrobatic.

Hung Gar - A Southern Style also known as the Tiger-Crane Style. Features the Tiger/Crane technique; the Five Animals Technique; and the Iron Wire Technique. The latter strengthens the body to the point that blocks and strikes are interchangeable (i.e. you can block a strike by punching the attacker's fist or arm and do a lot of damage, or block a kick with your forearm and do a lot of damage).

"Northern" Shaolin Kung Fu - characterized by high and elaborate kicks, the famous King Kong Palm (actually a corruption of Mandarin term "Jian Kang") which leaves handprints in the victim's skin in movies, and the Iron Vest technique, which makes them invulernable to weapons and strikes.

Wing Chun - Popularized by Ip Man and Bruce Lee, founded by a woman (Yim Wing Chun) based on her studies with a Shaolin nun (Ng Mui). Characterized by short, ultra-fast punches and low kicks.

Drunken Boxing - Not so much a style as it is a technique that shows up in other styles. The one that Jackie Chan is taken from the Tiger Style (or Hung Gar--films always do a lot of mixing). But you can have a drunken technique in Choy Li Fut, the Mantis Style, etc.
-----------
Some notable fictional styles and Techniques:

Great Solar Stance - from Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master (1993) - Allows the user to fly, shoot fireballs a lá Ken and Ryu, and learn other styles just by observing them in action for a few minutes.

Magic Stance - from Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master (1993) -The fighter can use his/her chi to essentially perform telekinesis.

The No-Shadow Kick - Made famous by martial artist Wong Fei Hung. The general idea is that he could kick so fast you apparently couldn't see his shadow move. In ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 2, the person would fly through the air and do about 10 side kicks on the person before his feet hit the ground. Some martial artists like Donnie Yen and legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee could kick a person three times in the air before lowering their feet.

The Crippled Fist Style - From Drunken Arts and Crippled Fist - Looks like a person performing drunken kung fu while simultaneously imitating a victim of cerebral palsy.

The Cotton Belly - from Wing Chun (1994) - Sort of like the Blob from Marvel comics, the foot or fist gets stuck in the user's stomach, who then redirects the force to send the person flying back.

Jinx Palm - from Kung Fu Cult Master - an esoteric technique that hurts a person and makes them die if they learn kung fu.
The Ball Shot Technique - From the Crippled Avengers (1978), which Telstar could tell you more about.

Sword Energy - from Swordsman II (1992) - Person hits the ground with a sword, and the ground shoots up while moving toward the opponent like Bugs Bunny burrowing underground, if it touches you, you split in half.

The Toad Style - Five Deadly Venoms (1978) - Essentially the Iron Vest Technique

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

For the sake of a balanced game, better pretend that Thailand doesn't exist.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Great stuff H-man! I should probably just buy your book!

I wanted something like 6 main "schools" with three techniques per school. One technique per face card in a suit.

Of course, when the player uses the card they will have to call out some ridiculous line using the name of the technique. For example, "No one can resist my King King Fist!"

The game will be set in a fictional Chinese, ahistorical China so Thailand Styles need not apply. Of course, one of the scenarios will be called "Master, they have insulted our school!"

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:49 pm
Burning Godzilla

Easy E wrote:
Great stuff H-man! I should probably just buy your book!

I wanted something like 6 main "schools" with three techniques per school. One technique per face card in a suit.

Of course, when the player uses the card they will have to call out some ridiculous line using the name of the technique. For example, "No one can resist my King King Fist!"

The game will be set in a fictional Chinese, ahistorical China so Thailand Styles need not apply. Of course, one of the scenarios will be called "Master, they have insulted our school!"

How about:

Wu Tang School - 8 Trigrams Sword technique, the Tai Chi fist technique, bagua (Eight Trigram palm) style

North Shaolin School - the King Kong Palm; the whirlwind kick; Arhat's 18 Hands

South Shaolin School - Plum Blossom Fist; the tiger and crane fist; the Lung Ying dragon strike

Wah Shan School - Sword energy; Separating Sword; Combination of Hand and Sword

Ermei School (Mainly composed of women) - Nine Yin White Bone Claw; Prick of Emei (flying needle attack); 36 dim mak (death touch) technique

Ming Sect - The great solar stance; the magic stance; Jinx Palm

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Destoroyah

Thanks for the help!

If we stayed with the "real" schools based on the animals, what key moves do you recommend?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]