Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Rescue Down (2007) 
Godzilla

The 2007 flick Rescue Dawn is proof positive that it is possible for a high quality movie to fall into the cracks and fail to even so much as break even at the box office. This is especially bad since Rescue Dawn , in addition to being a great movie, was also the single most patriotic film of 2007. Rescue Dawn is also one of the greatest movies ever made about the Vietnam War.

Rescue Dawn is about the experiences of one Dieter Dengler who was born and raised in West Germany, but who wanted to become both an American and a flyer back when he was a child. He got his wish and, upon arriving in America, he worked hard and eventually signed on to the American war effort in Vietnam as a pilot.

As a U.S. Navy pilot in Vietnam, Dengler (Christian Bale) was shot down over Laos. In Laos, he became a prisoner of the Communist Pathet Lao who treated their American captives barbarically.

The Pathet Lao failed to understand that their cruel treatment of their Prisoners Of War (POW's) would only serve to increase their yearnings for escape. The enemy underestimated the extent of the comaraderie of the Americans. They also failed to keep an adequate guard of their prisoners. However, this relaxed attitude may also have been due to the fact that one of the POW's was a certifiable nut case who hindered the efforts of the POW's towards mounting a successful escape.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Rescue Dawn is the fact that one of the producers of this movie is 28 year old NBA superstar Elton Brand of the Los Angeles Clippers. Brand is one of the "good guy" players in and increasingly thug dominated league. It was financing from Brand's company, Gibraltar Entertainment, that made it possible for Rescue Dawn to be made.

Perhaps the most significant aspect of Rescue Dawn is the fact that it is a patriotic movie that depicts American soldiers as the good guys and the Communists as the bad guys. This is in direct contrast to the overwhelming majority of post 9/11 movies that depict America as irredeemably evil and picture American soldiers as being horrible people. Rescue Dawn gets things right while the rest of Hollywood flails around in anti-American hatred.

When you get right down to it, Rescue Dawn is an excellent movie. It is virtually 100% historically accurate. It is very well acted and lead actor Christian Bale deserved at least a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Dieter Dengler. The cinematography, direction and acting are all well done. If there is a movie on DVD that you need to see, then Rescue Dawn is the one.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
This is in direct contrast to the overwhelming majority of post 9/11 movies that depict America as irredeemably evil and picture American soldiers as being horrible people. Rescue Dawn gets things right while the rest of Hollywood flails around in anti-American hatred.

I think this is a quote that absolutely demands some very specific citation from you. If I nread you right, you declare that the overwhelming majority of movies post September 11, 2001 depict America as irredeemably evil and American soldiers as horrible people.

I would think the very opposite were true and, with an assertion like that, I'm almost willing to bet that you don't know what the term "post 9/11" means.

I could maybe see your point if you mentioned, oh, say, the Pre-9/11 movies from the 80s and early 90s. Like, say, Brian DePalma's Casualties of War (Sean Penn and a group of soldiers rape and murder a Vietnamese girl), Oliver Stone's Platoon (Tom Berenger plots the murder of neo-hippie stoner Willem Dafoe), Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge where a grizzled sergeant has to whip spoiled whiny soldiers into a fighting force capable of invading Grenada; Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket; Robert Altman's screwed up military establishment in MASH; Cruise getting all irritating in the highly overrated Born on the Fourth of July; Coppola's Apocalypse Now - mad general take the heart of darkness into deepest Cambodia, The Killing Fields, Meg Ryan in Courage Under Fire; and, goodness knows, I could go on.

Undeniably, Rescue Dawn is a pretty damn good movie about soldiers from Vietnam. Just as worthy as the Vietnam soldier played by Robert DeNiro in The Deer Hunter and Mel Gibson's Lt. Col. Hal Moore in We Were Soldiers - which is a lot better than people want to admit, being a work by Mel Gibson. So if you are thinking about Viet Vets being treated badly, they may have gotten the short end of the stick in most serious movies. But they also got Rambo and they got Chuck Norris as Lt. Braddock in Missing in Action; and the band of awesome Viet Vets led by Gene Hackman in Uncommon Valor; and David Carradine and Steve James in POW: The Escape.

In the Post-9/11 world, however, we get a different kind of American soldier and first responder. One that we deeply respect despite the madness of the type of enemy we fight. Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty; Lone Survivor; American Sniper; Paul Greengrass' United 93; Stone's World Trade; The Messenger; The Kingdom; Eye in the Sky; the documentary by embeds with real American soldiers in Afghanistan, Restrepo; Three Kings; Band of Brothers; Black Hawk Down; Fury; The Monuments Men; Hacksaw Ridge; Inglorious Basterds; Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima.

Damned if I can find a crappy American soldier in that whole lot. And that doesn't even take in the hero soldiers that are the bread and butter of movies made on the cheap.

So you've typed the words, M. Fornax. Now back them up with evidence. And I want a lot - an overwhelming majority in fact - that depict America as irredeemably evil and our American soldiers as horrible people?

Personally, I cannot wait for this outpouring of evidence.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

And here I was biting my tongue about calling this stuff out.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]