Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Serial Killer Question For You True Crime Experts 
Burning Godzilla

I have rather a gruesome question.

In the movies and novels often a killer will have a pattern to the crimes. I mean things like the seven deadly sins, the plagues of Egypt, and so on.

Has there ever been a case where somebody did this in real life? I don't mean always selecting the same kind of victim or method or whatever. I mean where the crimes follow some external cultural pattern or other. Holidays, days of the week, whatever.

I suspect this is strictly a fictional thing.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:59 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

I think you're right. Even the Zodiac killer (who operated a few miles from where I type this) didn't actually apply any zodiacal theme to his spree, though that's what we would now tend to assume when hearing the nickname.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
I have rather a gruesome question.

In the movies and novels often a killer will have a pattern to the crimes. I mean things like the seven deadly sins, the plagues of Egypt, and so on.

Has there ever been a case where somebody did this in real life? I don't mean always selecting the same kind of victim or method or whatever. I mean where the crimes follow some external cultural pattern or other. Holidays, days of the week, whatever.

I suspect this is strictly a fictional thing.

There have been cases in which the name of the street where the victim lived on. For instance, the Unabomber went after people who lived on streets that were named after trees. When the Zodiac Killer made his San Francisco killing, there were all sorts of connections to names of an aquatic nature,

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Alexander Pichushkin, an outstanding competitive chess player, was known to have resolved to kill one person for each square on a chessboard. There are 64 squares but he was busted at victim 60 -- as far as we know.

Anatoly Slivko became sexually excited for the first time in his life in childhood at the scene of a road accident that killed a boy wearing a Pioneers (Russian Boy Scouts) neckerchief. Slivko grew up to be a Pioneers den leader and won all kinds of accolades for being the only man in their remote area providing positive recreational outlets for young boys. Sure enough, it transpired that he was filming himself killing them -- while they were wearing their Pioneer uniforms.

Larry Bittaker and Roy Norris, the "Toolbox Killers," agreed that they were going to try to kill one girl from each of the teen years -- a 13-year-old, a 14-year-old, and so on. I don't know how well that worked out. It was pretty terrible for the girls, of course.

Heriberto Seda was trying to kill one victim for each sign of the Zodiac. He killed a person in May 1990 for Taurus, August 1992 for Leo, and one in July 1993 for Cancer. The one he shot in June of 1994 survived, messing up his whole deal. He is thus confusingly known as the Zodiac Killer, same as the never-caught multiple murderer in California.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Although the authorities never arrested him, its pretty clear from the writings of Robert Graysmith that Arthur Leigh Allen was the Zodiac Killer. No other suspect is even remotely as compelling as Allen. This makes it all the more shameful that Allen was never arrested, let alone brought to trial.

The fact that Allen was the non-convicted killer is what separates the Zodiac Killer case from all other officially unsolved cases is that we basically know who did it. In other cases, such as The Black Dahlia, there have been all sorts of theories ranging from the plausible to the ludicrous. And then there are cases such as Jack the Ripper and the JFK Assassination where insanity reigns and common sense appears to have been thrown out the window. Is it really possible that a member of the British royal family could have married a prostitute in a Catholic church and that could have been kept a secret? Likewise, the idea that JFK was shot with "ice bullets" even though the technology for that did not exist in 1963. Or the idea that the (fill in the blank with your least favorite U.S. Government agency(ies) or other group(s)) were desperate to get rid of JFK even though that president had approval ratings below 50% and his reelection was by no means a sure thing.

Btw, why was this even posted in the "Movie Search" board in the first place?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Btw, why was this even posted in the "Movie Search" board in the first place?

Why not?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I just thought it was the best place to put a question, for lack of a better place.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

And it's only a matter of time before someone connects the question to a movie, if not a whole list of them.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

But overall, I would say it's a pretty accurate perception that most serial killers do not follow a nice, neat pattern of any sort. It probably helps to be both intelligent, psychotic...and substance-free Seda was, with the right sort of fixation on Biblical and astrological lore to make him likely to pull something like his murder series.

So many serial killers are runaway alcoholics that it would be as difficult for them to map out their crimes according to a prearranged pattern as it would be for them to pass a field sobriety test.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]