Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Official B-Fest 2017 Lineup Spoilers Thread 
Burning Godzilla

I'm stealing the link from stomptokyo and the title of this thread from last year's.

Don't click on the link or read any further if you are going to B-Fest and want to be surprised!

http://www.b-fest.com/lineup.html

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:14 pm
Burning Godzilla

OK, that should be enough of a spoiler space.

Final warning: I'm going to discuss the films to be shown!

__________________________________________________________________________________

Overall, it looks like a good mixture of genres and decades (a bit heavy on the 1980's.)

Hercules in New York (1969) -- Haven't seen it. With a young Arnold Schwarzenegger (as "Arnold Strong") and a not-so-young Arnold Stang, it should be worth some laughs.

The Magic Sword (1962) -- Seen it both via MST3K and on the tube (as St. George and the Seven Curses.) Extremely goofy yet rather charming in a very silly way.

Bloodlust! (1961) -- Seen it via MST3K only. Poor rip-off of The Most Dangerous Game is fun to mock.

Empire of the Ants (1977) -- Seen it on TV. 1950's-style giant insect movie with laughable Bert I. Gordon special effects.

(No need to talk about The Wizard of Speed and Time or Plan 9 From Outer Space here.)

The Last Dragon (1985) -- Saw it in the theater. Pretty entertaining, actually.

Battlefield Earth (2000) -- Haven't seen it, don't want to, suspect this will be the time lots of folks drop out to get some sleep.

Action Jackson (1988) -- Haven't seen it, don't know much about it. With The Last Dragon we seem to have a Vanity mini-marathon (may she rest in peace.)

Malibu Express (1985) -- Never heard if it. Looks like this is our "adult" film of the evening.

The Gong Show Movie (1980) -- Seen this on TV. Just as worthless as you would imagine.

Yongary: Monster From the Deep (1967) -- Haven't seen it. Should satisfy fans of this genre.

Future Hunters (1986) -- Never heard of it. Looks like one of the lousy SF flicks of that time.

Creature with the Atom Brain (1955) -- Never saw it, would like to. Should be a fun example of its kind.

They Live (1988) -- Seen it on DVD. Fun, entertaining film, with some sharp political satire.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:31 pm
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Future Hunters (1986) -- Never heard of it. Looks like one of the lousy SF flicks of that time.

That is an 80s Filipino film about the search for the spear that pierced Christ's side starring a pre-T1000 Robert Patrick. Features cameos from Bruce Le, Richard Norton (a regular of Hong Kong movies and frequente collaborator of Cynthia Rothrock; he also did fight choreography on Mad Max: Fury Road), and your friend and mine: Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
OK, that should be enough of a spoiler space.

Final warning: I'm going to discuss the films to be shown!

__________________________________________________________________________________

Action Jackson (1988) -- Haven't seen it, don't know much about it. With The Last Dragon we seem to have a Vanity mini-marathon (may she rest in peace.)

Carl Weathers got his shot at an action movie franchise. It came after his notable roles in Rocky's 1,2,3, and his stupid as a box of rocks death in 4 and his other notable supporting role in Predator. It is significant that he was dressed as James Bond and promoted an upper middle class action hero. That hadn't been around since the heyday of Jim Brown, Richard Roundtree, and Fred Williamson. It's not great, but it's no worse than any other one-shot modestly budgeted action movie. And if any actor deserved a leading man action role after being a white dude's second banana, it was Carl Weathers, and then it was Steve James. (And then it was William Marshall.)

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Was hoping someone would do this - and the B-fest stuff being in the "off topic" forum is just wrong. E and I spent most of yesterday evening watching trailers and thinking about the Fest.

Plusses:
- Bloodlust! has the most hilarious trailer ever
- At least until you see the one for Empire Of The Ants
- Or the one for The Last Dragon. Plenty of pure crazy on display this year, which is a good thing
- We finally get something made after 1990... granted, it's just Battlefield Earth which I've already seen, and granted it's been at B-fest before, but that was before my time
- I feel like my pop culture savvy will be improved by finally seeing Empire Of The Ants and They Live

Minuses:
- Still too much '80s and too clustered together (all after midnight), but at least it's a reasonable variety of styles
- The Magic Sword is boring as frak, and it shouldn't come right after another (dissimilar) hero-with-a-sword movie
- None of the post-blaxpo stuff really excites me until the post-lunch run
- Too many repeats! Recent repeats, anyway. Yongary and Creature With The Atom Brain were shown just two years ago! Won't mind seeing the former since I slept through it last time, but the statute of limitations has not passed on those two. I have to wonder if we'll see any last-minute substitutions.

Potential highlights:
Bloodlust!, Empire Of The Ants, The Last Dragon, Future Hunters

Potential lowlights:
The Magic Sword, The Gong Show Movie

Potential naptime:
If I can make it until Battlefield Earth starts, will have no problem drifting in and out whilst catching what I can.

So... won't do it alone, but does anyone with good throwing strength want to try to get a group thing going to provide Roddy Piper with some bubblegum?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]