Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Atrocious 
Burning Godzilla

Atrocious

2010 release, directed by Fernando Barreda Luna
Spanish, subtitled in English
Starring Cristian Valencia, Clara Moraleda, Chus Pereiro and a cast of urban legends!!!

PLOT SUMMARY: A Madrid family goes to spend Easter break in what they call an "abandoned cabin." Dad is soon called back to the office on some emergency or other, leaving mom and the kids -- Jose, Cristian and July -- to roam the grounds with their dog Robin. Cristina and July are planning to film their next YouTube hand-held-camera spectacular investigating a local urban legend, which they consider their speciality. This small town has a legend about a girl in a red dress who got lost in the woods and died in 1940. She now leads other lost people out of the woods. The kids go out to see what they can see. WILL ANYONE SURVIVE?

CLIFFIE'S NOTES:

>> This is not an abandoned cabin. It's a freaking villa with an iron gate, a bell tower, a magnificent tiled entry hall, fireplaces in every room, winding stairways and a basement full of old Godzilla movies. There are a couple of creepy touches, like the numerous mirrors the kids find, taken off the walls and packed away in a moment reminiscent of the scene where the castaways found the missing mirrors in Matango. The main area to explore is the hedge maze out back, overgrown but still usable. Guess who disappears into it, cameras rolling, at the first opportunity?

>> I like the way they set up the urban legend, interviewing a local man who tells a couple of different versions of the story he's heard. We then know to look for signs throughout the movie to see which version is the correct one. The kids ask him what he has seen for himself. Without any sign of dread, he explains casually that he's never seen the ghost. Has he ever gone out in those woods? Heck no -- my parents told me to stay out of there and I did! Dad -- before he gets on the road for home -- also firmly warns the kids not to wander off. Why? Because he said so, that's why! It transpires that the mom grew up in the house, but interestingly, nobody asks her about it.

>> This is where the ground starts to slope away, as we are subjected to looooooooong stretches of unsteadicam wandering through a hedge maze with nothing in there to see. July even sits on a bench and refuses to go another step at one point, telling Cristian that if he's so thrilled with all these trees he can go on filming them if he wants, but he can count her out. I couldn't blame her.

>> And then Robin disappears, and the whole family goes looking for him, calling his name for hours, until mom and Jose tearfully retire to the house. July and Cristian, determined to make Jose feel better, keep looking...and they find him.

>> It gets worse from there, but the upsetting moments are few and far between, brief interstices in these long, boring camera shots that will remind you very strongly of all the stuff that didn't happen in The Blair Witch Project.

The ending should have been more satisfying, but by the time it all went down I was struggling to stay awake. It's not bad, but it's really not that good, either.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Why would you name your movie Atrocious? The jokes practically write themselves.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm
Burning Godzilla

Well, they may have been making a best guess at the English. I see no Spanish title for it. The final menace is pretty much an atrocity, but I doubt they were easy enough with English to realize the viewer might say, Hey, this movie IS atrocious!

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]