Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Imperial Impertinence 
Burning Godzilla

Now You See Me, either film:

Why are people constantly looking away from the known stage magicians?

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

Good farging question. Though it may be pertinent to what Penn Gillette said about movies that focus on magicians. They all seem to be solely concerned with the "magic" which is, in his opinion, the least interesting part.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Mr. Paradox wrote:

I believe any stage magician worth his salt is supposed to be really good at misdirection, so the audience is looking anywhere but at the conjurer.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
Mr. Paradox wrote:

I believe any stage magician worth his salt is supposed to be really good at misdirection, so the audience is looking anywhere but at the conjurer.

If that were the case it'd be fine, but it's not. I've seen at least two occasions in these films where people have the magicians dead to rights and/or at gunpoint and then, without their targets saying or doing anything, decide it's a great idea to look somewhere else.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 pm
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Good farging question. Though it may be pertinent to what Penn Gillette said about movies that focus on magicians. They all seem to be solely concerned with the "magic" which is, in his opinion, the least interesting part.

Have you seen Penn's latest trick? He made 100 lbs of his body disappear.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:28 pm
Burning Godzilla

Mr. Paradox wrote:
If that were the case it'd be fine, but it's not. I've seen at least two occasions in these films where people have the magicians dead to rights and/or at gunpoint and then, without their targets saying or doing anything, decide it's a great idea to look somewhere else.

Then it's probably the same principle at work that makes teenagers in horror films proceed into pitch-dark basements without turning on the lights or even flicking their Bics.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

So how is it that when Michael Madsen in Kill Bill shot backwards from the grip full of money and the black mamba, he landed on the floor with THREE grossly swollen bite marks on his face? The snake only struck once. And those fangs were so much narrower than the bites. Could they have cut a much larger snake from that scene without telling us?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I just checked that clip on youtube and it showed three strikes by the snake.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
I just checked that clip on youtube and it showed three strikes by the snake.

Well, the version on my disc at home shows one (1). I rewound to be sure.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

So, in The Mummy (1999), Im Ho Tep lets that squirrely guy go because he has a Star of David, which he identifies as a symbol of the slave people (re: the Hebrews). If the earliest use for it (among Jews) was found as a decorative motif in a 3rd century A.D. synagogue, how would Im Ho Tep be able to recognize it?

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
So, in The Mummy (1999), Im Ho Tep lets that squirrely guy go because he has a Star of David, which he identifies as a symbol of the slave people (re: the Hebrews). If the earliest use for it (among Jews) was found as a decorative motif in a 3rd century A.D. synagogue, how would Im Ho Tep be able to recognize it?

He doesn't, actually. How the scene actually goes is that Benny, after striking out with several holy symbols, raises the Star of David and begins praying in Hebrew. Imhotep recognizes the prayer as "the language of the slaves", which means Benny can understand him and makes a useful tool.

Never mind Hebrew being "the language of the slaves" when modern Hebrew has almost nothing in common with ancient Hebrew.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 am
Burning Godzilla

Yeah, I've seen a scholarly argument made that modern Hebrew should be called "Israeli", because ancient Hebrew is at most just a skeleton inside a language which mostly dates back no further than the 19th century.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

So, with half of the galaxy looking for an orange and white BB-8, why did no one think of slapping a coat of paint on it?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
So, with half of the galaxy looking for an orange and white BB-8, why did no one think of slapping a coat of paint on it?

That's a pretty hardcore head slapper that never occurred to me until SSM mentioned it.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

A lot of films do this, but The Dark Knight Rises brought it to mind: why are all bombs in Hollywood built so that they're easy to arm but nigh-impossible to disarm?

Explosive devices built by professionals (as opposed to terrorists or other "unprofessional" types) are typically built the other way around - requiring great effort to arm and little to disarm, because you want to be damn sure you're ready for it to blow up and it'd be a bad idea not to be allowed to change your mind.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next