Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Victoria Silverwolf's Extravagent TV Thread 
Burning Godzilla

I've started the last two TV threads and I name this one in honor of the last thread's most prolific proponent: Victoria and her marvelous binge watching expeditions.

I'll start this one by saying, 'speaking of binge watching....' Does it occur to anyone that our TV landscape is transforming before our eyes from traditional 22-weeks-with-a-holiday-break-and-summer-reruns into 10-bite series optimized for consuming in one-day or two-day sittings?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:01 am
Burning Godzilla

I am more honored than I can say.

It also seems to me that series last a lot more seasons than they used to (with Gunsmoke and some other exceptions to the contrary.) Is this just because a "season" has so few episodes, or is there some other reason?

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:59 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

I hate binge watching television episode seasons. That is all.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Power Pack (1991) I've been going back and watching a lot of old television shows based on comic book characters and this show has to be one of the worst because aside from kind of getting the powers right they ditched everything about the comic in favor of something more in keeping with an episode of Goosebumps. Instead of fighting an alien race of lizard beings they deal with a pissy ghost who wants an amulet placed back in his stupid painting. And of course as this was made to be aired Saturday mornings it's got an insanely low budget so the effects of the "powers" are just pitiful. If you want to make a Power Pack show for kids why go live action? Wouldn't an animated show work much better?

You can read my full review here: Power Pack

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Starting the second season of Newhart. Glad to see the super-competent rich girl/maid replaced by her clueless cousin. The show itself is pretty typical sitcom stuff. One exchange of dialogue delighted me.

(Somebody asks Newhart if he had a dog as a kid.)

NEWHART: I had that other incredibly popular pet.

CLUELESS RICH GIRL: You had a swan?

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Tarzan and Jane (2017) In this Netflix original series we get an updated Tarzan story with some radical changes, this time out Tarzan is gifted with super powers, the series is set during his teen years, Jane is black and the adventures take place in both the civilized world of London and the lush jungles of Africa. Overall the show consists of some great story telling, has a good balance of comedy and action, manages to bring some fresh ideas to the mythos, and has an excellent cast of voice actors, all resulting in a Tarzan show worth checking out.

You can read my full review here: Tarzan and Jane (2017)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Movie Mike wrote:
Tarzan and Jane (2017) In this Netflix original series we get an updated Tarzan story with some radical changes, this time out Tarzan is gifted with super powers, the series is set during his teen years, Jane is black and the adventures take place in both the civilized world of London and the lush jungles of Africa. Overall the show consists of some great story telling, has a good balance of comedy and action, manages to bring some fresh ideas to the mythos, and has an excellent cast of voice actors, all resulting in a Tarzan show worth checking out.

What super powers? I mean, as a pulp hero he was nigh indestructible anyway, but still ... he was a man and he made a lot of mistakes. Does he now?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Movie Mike wrote:

What super powers? I mean, as a pulp hero he was nigh indestructible anyway, but still ... he was a man and he made a lot of mistakes. Does he now?

In this version the Shaman combines his medicine with that of Doctor Porter to heal the injured baby Tarzan and somehow this gives him the strength of a gorilla, speed of a cheetah, and he can pop claws out of his fingers and toes.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Well, Newhart is clearly trying to find its direction during the second season. Add a big dog to the cast? That idea goes out after a couple of episodes. Give the obnoxious cafe owner a perfectly fine woman to become engaged to? That's going to go on until the end of this season, it seems, although it's a miserable failure in its attempt to make the audience empathize with a jerk. (I understand this character vanishes after this season, which seems like a good idea to me.) Have Newhart become screamingly angry at something? Big mistake, and let's hope that doesn't happen again.

But the episode called "Book Beat" shows some promise for the series, with Newhart as the host of a local TV talk show. I understand this concept will continue in future seasons, and it seems to fit the actor's style well. His interview with his first guest was genuinely funny.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
But the episode called "Book Beat" shows some promise for the series, with Newhart as the host of a local TV talk show. I understand this concept will continue in future seasons, and it seems to fit the actor's style well. His interview with his first guest was genuinely funny.

That book interview felt just like one of Newhart's classic stand-up comedy bits. If you haven't listened to The Buttoned Down Mind of Bob Newhart you owe it to yourself to check some of his bits out.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

I'm on the autism spectrum, and as such I'm not great with body language. But I think I cracked it a bit tonight.

On the show Pure Genius, one of the Patients of the Week was a professional singer with cancer of the vocal cords. You can guess where that went. And for some reason I couldn't see her as anything but an insufferable bitch.

But then I realized why: in every single shot of her right up to the end of the episode, she had her arms crossed.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 am
Burning Godzilla

Movie Mike wrote:

That book interview felt just like one of Newhart's classic stand-up comedy bits. If you haven't listened to The Buttoned Down Mind of Bob Newhart you owe it to yourself to check some of his bits out.

Indeed! We got all of his old albums on CD a while back. Brilliant stuff.

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:44 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

I have just started the third season of Newhart. Much improved. Not only is the annoying cafe owner gone, but the notion of making Newhart a local TV host works well with his comedic style. The TV producer (another Lorne Michaels parody, perhaps?) is an enjoyable character, and the writing seems better.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:52 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Well, Newhart is clearly trying to find its direction during the second season. Add a big dog to the cast? That idea goes out after a couple of episodes. Give the obnoxious cafe owner a perfectly fine woman to become engaged to? That's going to go on until the end of this season, it seems, although it's a miserable failure in its attempt to make the audience empathize with a jerk. (I understand this character vanishes after this season, which seems like a good idea to me.) Have Newhart become screamingly angry at something? Big mistake, and let's hope that doesn't happen again.

You've pretty much described the entire run of David E Kelley's 'Boston Legal,' a series full of charming characters that never caught on due to nonstop cast experimentation.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:13 pm
Burning Godzilla

I finished the third season of Newhart. Consistently funny, with no particular episode standing out above the others.

(One episode had a very small detail for B movie fans, with a film called Exploding Planet playing at the local drive-in.)

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:52 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next