Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Victoria Silverwolf's Extravagent TV Thread 
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
Mulholland Drive may be the closest thing in his movies. It did start out as a TV idea.

What I would compare Twin Peaks to, though, is Buffy. It has that same thing of trying to bend genre boundaries, with one of the genres being horror. But another is soap opera, which some might find hard to take even in spoofed form.

There were basically two things that turned me off. One of them was what I perceived as twee weirdness for its own sake. The lady who gets messages from a higher power through her pet log, the way everyone's dialogue in the place with the red curtains is recorded backwards, that sort of stuff. If there was a legitimate point to any of it, it was invisible to me. The other was the acting style, which may have been one of the characteristics ported over from soap operas. Because otherwise, I can't imagine what would drive even David Lynch to tell everyone, "Okay, so the idea here is that not a single one of your line readings, gestures, or facial expressions should bear any apparent relationship to any recognizable human emotion or mental state. It's like you're all pod people from the planet Zembular, whose only understanding of our species comes from an intercepted Cinemax transmission of a David DeCoteau movie."

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Finally completed the last season of Newhart. Besides the famous twist ending, notable mostly for guest stars (George McGovern being the most surprising) and the unhelpful addition of a baby. I did get a kick out of the sitcom-within-the-sitcom of one episode, and the last episode was enjoyably surreal in addition to the shock conclusion.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Last edited by Victoria Silverwolf on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 am
Burning Godzilla

Well, goodness. No sooner do I finish Newhart and decide to seek out old movies on the Internet Archive then I discover that somebody has put up all three hundred and sixty episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents/The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. I'll have to make my way through them in between feature films. Taut little thrillers they are.

The first episode, "Revenge," is directed by Hitchcock himself. It packs a powerful emotional wallop and has an ending which is still a shocker. Hitchcock's sardonic introductions and epilogues (in which he has to pretend that the evil acts depicted in the episode are punished by the law, but the viewer knows better) are all part of the charm of this series.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:21 am
Burning Godzilla

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. eps "The Finny Foot Affair" (1964) I've lately been watching early Kurt Russell performances and after seeing in Lost in Space I checked out his appearance in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. where he plays a young kid who decides that Napoleon Solo is good husband material for his widowed mom. It's a really cool spy thriller with an evil Japanese general trying to recover a formula that kills people by aging them rapidly, and it's surprisingly dark at times for a 60s television show especially one that is guest starring a kid.

You can read my full review here: The Man from U.N.C.L.E. "The Finny Foot Affair"

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

Have folks already talked about the new MST3K? It's quite good.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Marlowe wrote:
Have folks already talked about the new MST3K? It's quite good.

I'm loving it, and carefully pacing myself while I watch it to make it last longer.

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I haven't taken in the new MST3Ks, but most of what I've heard has been very positive.
I was curious if anyone had seen any of The Tick on Amazon. I've heard mixed reviews.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

My family and I started watching MST3K and have been amused during Reptilicus.

We also finished watching Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix. The theme of destiny vs. free-will was interesting and consistently forced the character to make choices, I can see how many people would not like this film. Part of the main character's arc is to transition from Man-child to and actual man and some of his resulting character ticks and actiosn can be a bit annoying. Overall, I was pleased with the evolution of the character, and I think I enjoyed it more than Luke Cage.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm
Site Admin

Bergerjacques wrote:
I was curious if anyone had seen any of The Tick on Amazon. I've heard mixed reviews.

I watched the pilot--it was a different take on the idea. I'm not sure they've quite got the tone right, but I liked it. It's darker than the cartoon (Arthur is the main character, and he's sort of mental because his parents were killed by a super villain), but it's still funny, and I'm curious to see more.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm on a Columbo kick right now. Picked up the box set, and I just finished watching the second pilot, "Ransom For A Dead Man." It's great; the character is more fully formed than he was in "Prescription: Murder," and his relationship with the killer--determined, faux befuddlement, and a sort of professional respect--is basically the Platonic ideal for the series going forward.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Marlowe wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

I watched the pilot--it was a different take on the idea. I'm not sure they've quite got the tone right, but I liked it. It's darker than the cartoon (Arthur is the main character, and he's sort of mental because his parents were killed by a super villain), but it's still funny, and I'm curious to see more.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm on a Columbo kick right now. Picked up the box set, and I just finished watching the second pilot, "Ransom For A Dead Man." It's great; the character is more fully formed than he was in "Prescription: Murder," and his relationship with the killer--determined, faux befuddlement, and a sort of professional respect--is basically the Platonic ideal for the series going forward.

I can only every seem to watch one or two of those every so often but I love them when I do. And I have been enjoying watching you enjoy them on social media. Also, I'm outside your house, right now, with binoculars.

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Marlowe wrote:

I've been recorded episodes as they appear on Hallmark mysteries channel. The channel occasionally runs marathons, but not often in order of a season. And man, I knew the series was successful, but it ran a hell of a lot of seasons. Still, it would be interesting to see how Columbo developed. The writing is always pretty good and even the bit parts are populated by famous character actors.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Bergerjacques wrote:
Marlowe wrote:

I've been recorded episodes as they appear on Hallmark mysteries channel. The channel occasionally runs marathons, but not often in order of a season. And man, I knew the series was successful, but it ran a hell of a lot of seasons. Still, it would be interesting to see how Columbo developed. The writing is always pretty good and even the bit parts are populated by famous character actors.

The interesting thing about the show is that it didn't really develop that much--the mold is more or less in place by that second pilot (and even the first one is close). And I think there are a ton of seasons because the episodes were so long; there aren't that many of them, and some of the '90s ones are supposedly terrible. (I am very much looking forward to this, of course.)

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

At home we've been working our way through Star Trek (the original series) in the "remastered" DVD's which have enhanced special effects. (These are mostly planetary fly-by scenes, scenes establishing a planet's landscape before going to close-ups, and scenes of space vehicles. "The Doomsday Machine" has a bunch of new special effects, but most have only a few.

Having been familiar with this series for half a century, it still has a strong, not entirely explainable appeal to me. I found, to my surprise, that the episode "Metamorphosis" can still bring a tear to my eye.

Having just about completed a rewatching of the first and second seasons, I can say that "Journey to Babel" is probably the best piece of storytelling, and "The Alternative Factor" is probably the worst so far. (I'm not considering other factors here.)

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:50 pm
Site Admin

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:

Having just about completed a rewatching of the first and second seasons, I can say that "Journey to Babel" is probably the best piece of storytelling, and "The Alternative Factor" is probably the worst so far. (I'm not considering other factors here.)

"The Alternative Factor" is so, so, so, so, so terrible.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
"The Doomsday Machine" has a bunch of new special effects, but most have only a few.

If I remember correctly, "The Doomsday Machine" was the proof-of-concept demonstrator for the whole project. Makes sense that it would have the most alterations.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next