Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Victoria Silverwolf's Extravagent TV Thread 
Burning Godzilla

I have started the sixth season of Newhart. It maintains the same consistency.

I had always thought of the late Mary Frann, in the rather thankless role of Newhart's wife, as rather bland. However, during a Halloween episode, she's a complete knockout in a vampire outfit. Best image I could find (she's on the far left):

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b6amvLgEn9w/hqdefault.jpg

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 am
Burning Godzilla

Just got the complete series Barbary Coast (1975; pilot movie and 13 episodes) on a whim. William Shatner stars in this Western/secret agent series, which is pretty much The Wild Wild West set in San Francisco, without the science fiction/fantasy elements. Watched the pilot, which has a different actor playing the rather thankless part of the second banana. (Shatner's character is pretty much James West and Artemus Gordon mixed up, so the other guy doesn't have much to work with.) It was so-so.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm
Burning Godzilla

"Feud: Bette and Joan" is the eight-episode FX series that chronicles the troubled, often torturous production of the classic Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and it's quasi-sequel Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. Warner Brothers and director Robert Aldrich (Alfred Molina) desperately need a hit, screen legends Joan Crawford (Jessica Lange) and Bette Davis (Susan Sarandon) desperately need to stay relevant. The Baby Jane script falls into Aldrich's lap and the rest is history.

The series focuses on the strange relationship between Crawford and Davis, which constantly cycles through periods of intense envy, respect, competitiveness, despite, and egocentrism. This is the series's greatest strength and most debilitative weakness. The first few times this plays out is interesting - the next 50 or so smacks of repetitiveness and makes the production feel stagnant.

Of the two leads, Lange nails Crawford's emotional swings the best. A silent film star who made the transition to talking pictures, Crawford can no longer outrun the impact of age and fleeting self-confidence. Sarandon often channels Sarandon in her portrayal of Davis.

The biggest treat is seeing Lange and Sarandon reconstruct iconic scenes from Baby Jane in glorious black and white.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 pm
Burning Godzilla

So, how does the new revived MST3K feel for someone who never got into the original?

For my first taste, I had to skip to episode 14, At The Earth's Core, because you can't mesmerize me I'm British. But that line got cut out! What a ripoff.

Overall, the riffing was good, but the skits in between were, for me, a complete waste of time.

(I can't believe nobody said a word about Doug McClure's pimpin bowler hat.)

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

"The Defenders" (1957)

Two part episode of the live television drama series Studio One. Ralph Bellamy and William Shatner star as father-and-son lawyers defending Steve McQueen (billed her as "Steven") on a murder charge. Apparently this led to the series The Defenders with a different cast. The courtroom antics are not very realistic (a surprise witness, a final gimmick at the end which no real judge would allow) but of more interest is the debate between the two stars as to whether the job of a defense lawyer is to get at the truth or get their client freed. (Unexpectedly, the script, by Reginald Rose, best known for Twelve Angry Men, leans to the latter.) Notable for a fine performance by Martin Balsam as the prosecuting attorney and for an unmistakable Ed Asner sitting in the jury box with no lines or actions at all.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:32 pm
Burning Godzilla

As I work my way through these old series:

Barbary Coast is also a little bit like Mission: Impossible in the Old West, with wildly elaborate schemes against the Bad Guys. It's also not very good.

Newhart continues to delight, as I move from the sixth to seventh seasons. Nice to see Bob Elliott (of Bob and Ray) show up as Newhart's father. There was another nice bit of self-reference when Jack Riley showed up, clearly intended to be the character of Eliot Carlin from The Bob Newhart Show, in the office of another psychologist. She mentioned that she had to undo the damage done to him by "a quack in Chicago."

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm
Burning Godzilla

Continuing into the seventh season of Newhart, there are two B movie references. Silent Night, Deadly Night and Attack of the Puppet People. How many viewers thought those were made up, I wonder.

Fri May 05, 2017 11:16 pm
Burning Godzilla

Lost in Space: The Challenge: Having watched Kurt Russell as the alien father to Peter Quill in Guardians I thought it'd be fun to look back at his earlier stuff and was delighted to see he made an appearance on Lost in Space back in 1966 as a kid who challenges Will Robinson to a contest to see who is the best. Added bonus we get Michael Ansara as The Ruler who is Kurt's dad in this. A pretty fun episode.

You can check out my full review here: Lost in Space: The Challenge

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Continuing into the seventh season of Newhart, there are two B movie references. Silent Night, Deadly Night and Attack of the Puppet People. How many viewers thought those were made up, I wonder.

What's the context for those?

Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:

What's the context for those?

They are both jokes involving the character of Michael, the superficial TV producer.

The first one is supposed to be he favorite Christmas movie (set up in such a way that you're expecting something like It's a Wonderful Life.)

The second one is supposed to be something that still (as an adult) scares him.

Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 pm
Burning Godzilla

Just finished the seventh season of Newhart. The second half starts to become the Michael and Stephanie Show, as the soap opera events in their lives -- Michael's loss of his position as a television producer, taking on various minimum wage jobs; the breakup of their relationship; their decision to get married in the final episode of the season -- start to take center stage. This would seem to mark a slight decline in the series, although it's still very funny and much superior to the first and most of the second season. We'll see what the eighth, final season brings, in addition to the famous twist ending of the last episode.

Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 pm
Burning Godzilla

Anyone see the first two episodes of the 'Twin Peaks' revival on Showtime?

Tue May 23, 2017 4:37 am
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:

I saw the first one. I'd been curious to check it out precisely because I could never get into the original, which everyone assures me is one of the greatest things that ever happened on TV. I thought maybe a fresh start would help me see whatever it was that I'd been missing before, you know? Well, it turns out I hated it a lot. Evidently "Twin Peaks" and I are just never going to get along-- which is weird to me, because I remember quite liking Blue Velvet, which seems to be the show's closest relative within David Lynch's big screen output.

Tue May 30, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Charnelhouse wrote:

I saw the first one. I'd been curious to check it out precisely because I could never get into the original, which everyone assures me is one of the greatest things that ever happened on TV. I thought maybe a fresh start would help me see whatever it was that I'd been missing before, you know? Well, it turns out I hated it a lot. Evidently "Twin Peaks" and I are just never going to get along-- which is weird to me, because I remember quite liking Blue Velvet, which seems to be the show's closest relative within David Lynch's big screen output.

Oh, I'm glad to hear that. I was in graduate school during the original Twin Peaks run and every masters and doctoral student in the Department of English - it seemed, anyway - were going off like it was an intellectual sin not to get off on the show. Granted, I rather like Fire Walk With Me, but the show made me drift off to sleep. On Netflix, I tried to see what I was missing ... I didn't make it past the first episode.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Mulholland Drive may be the closest thing in his movies. It did start out as a TV idea.

What I would compare Twin Peaks to, though, is Buffy. It has that same thing of trying to bend genre boundaries, with one of the genres being horror. But another is soap opera, which some might find hard to take even in spoofed form.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next