Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
All-New And Improved Reading Thread 
Burning Godzilla

For those of you who have read all the volumes of "A Song of Ice and Fire," how closely does the HBO adaptation adhere to the book storylines?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:
For those of you who have read all the volumes of "A Song of Ice and Fire," how closely does the HBO adaptation adhere to the book storylines?

Quite well in the first season, and then it starts diverging from there. Of course, the book series is incomplete, so around Season 5 or so it splits off into its own plot entirely.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:35 pm
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:

Season 1 is more or less an uploading of the book with some minor divergences. Seasons 2-4 or so hit most of the main and secondary plot beats of books 2-3, and then things start to diverge more and more. It's true even in the first season, but characters are dead on the show who are alive in the books and vice versa; some things happen to different characters on the show thanks to the availability of actors at various times. By season 6 they're past book fourve of the novels, and things are either completely the same, utterly different, or possibly both.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie talk about A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, the Farsi-language vampire movie set in Iran and filmed in Bakersfield, California. SPOILER: They liked it.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 pm
Burning Godzilla

Altamont, by Joel Selvin, tries to be the most all-encompassing coverage of the Altamont Free Concert (the "anti-Woodstock") possible. Unfortunately, Selvin is a bitter old man who hates the Rolling Stones, as much as he claims otherwise, so the entire project is tainted by his insistence on blaming the Stones for everything. He goes so far as to claim everything they did after the Sticky Fingers album qualifies as self-parody and to agree with Pauline Kael that Gimme Shelter is the rock-and-roll Triumph of the Will.

(By the way, knowing Kael said that has caused me to lose a lot of respect.)

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm
Burning Godzilla

Just started Denial: A Memoir by Jessica Stern. The author writes about her dawning awareness that becoming an international expert on terrorists, and going to a therapist with the goal of 'not feeling so much,' might just have had something to do with the fact that she was raped at gunpoint as a teenager.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Next up in "Doomsday Classics":

Nordenholt's Million (1923) by "J. J. Connington" (Alfred Walter Stewart, a chemist who wrote several detective novels.) The basic premise seems to be similar to The Death of Grass AKA No Blade of Grass (1956) by "John Christopher" (Samuel Youd) and its film adaptation.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:36 pm
Burning Godzilla

That sounds very interesting, and possibly quite distasteful as Nordenholt apparently has to become a brutal dictator to save civilization.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
The Death of Grass AKA No Blade of Grass (1956) by "John Christopher" (Samuel Youd)

Hang on-- is that the same John Christopher who wrote the tripod trilogy of kiddie post-apocalypse books? The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, and The Pool of Fire?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Yep, same guy. First success with adult SF, then went on to YA.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:20 pm
Burning Godzilla

Nordenholt's Million turned out to be an interesting account of a man taking drastic actions under desperate circumstances. The narrator never quite loses his admiration of him, and possibly this is to suggest the seductive power of a Man on Horseback.

Next up in the "Doomsday Classics" series:

After London (1885) by Richard Jefferies, an English naturalist. The beginning of the book deals with the way in which plant life has taken over the works of humanity after something which is not quite clear has happened to civilization. As one might expect, the description is vivid and detailed.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:19 pm
Burning Godzilla

I keep meaning to get to The Death Of Grass...

Just started The Legend Of Sawney Bean by Ronald Holmes. It turns out to be very much the same kind of book as The Discovery Of King Arthur by Geoffrey Ashe and The Wonderful And Surprising History Of Sweeney Todd by Robert Mack -- an attempt to sort through the pieces of the legend and historical record and see what sort of truth emerges.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Finished Knight in New York by Esther Friesner. I really think she's a chronically underappreciated author.

I'm also trying to climb the gigantic mountain that is Clive Barker's Imajica.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 pm
Burning Godzilla

After London turned out to be a rather quiet novel (although there's a battle near the end) following the adventurers of the hero as he explores the vast lake, horribly polluted in some places, which covers the long vanished city. It's oddly open-ended as well, as the hero, having made his way across the lake, has to make his way through unexplored forest back home to his beloved, for whom he undertook this quest. It's quite readable for a Victorian novel.

Next up in the "Doomsday Classics" series:

City of Endless Night (1920) by Milo Hastings. Written while the Great War was coming to an end, it predicts a future where a democratic World State rules everywhere except for the gigantic underground city of Berlin (population 300,000,000.) Obviously an attack on imperial Germany, it also seems to have predicted some aspects of fascism.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:28 pm
Burning Godzilla

Next in the "Doomsday Classics" series:

Lord of the World (1907) by Robert Hugh Benson. It seems to be about the rise of the Anti-Christ, from a Catholic point of view.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 am
Burning Godzilla

Lord of the World was definitely from the Catholic point of view. Not bad, but your reaction will depend on what you think of that.

Next on Doomsday Classics:

The Night Land (1912) by William Hope Hodgson. It may be tough going; long, written in archaic language, and without dialogue. But it is also supposed to be a quite imaginative portrait of the last surviving humans in the far future after the Sun has burned out.

Wed May 03, 2017 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next