Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
We got your end of the world right here, bud. 
Burning Godzilla

In my review of Fail-Safe, I began to think about other movies that were about the nuclear apocalypse.

Thinking more along the lines of Fail-Safe, Dr. Strangelove, and Wargames rather than post-apocalyptic barbarian desert dramas inspired by Mad Max. The stuff that happens either just before, during, or just immediately after the silos empty.

In addition to the above-named 3, I listed:

On the Beach
Panic in Year Zero
Miracle Mile
The Day After

But that can't be all... What else do we have?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Threads and Testament (both, I believe, made for television, the first in the UK and the second in the USA) both showed the very human cost of a "limited" nuclear war on the populace.

The War Game is one I have not seen. Made for British TV but never shown on the small screen (as far as I know) because it was too intense a "documentary" about an atomic attack on the UK.

More of a thriller, and a good one, is The Bedford Incident.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 pm
Destoroyah

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Threads and Testament (both, I believe, made for television, the first in the UK and the second in the USA) both showed the very human cost of a "limited" nuclear war on the populace.

The War Game is one I have not seen. Made for British TV but never shown on the small screen (as far as I know) because it was too intense a "documentary" about an atomic attack on the UK.

More of a thriller, and a good one, is The Bedford Incident.

Testament is rather devastating with a superb performance from Jane Alexander.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:22 pm
Destoroyah

World War III 1982 - A made-for-TV movie that I haven't seen in a long time. I remember it being entertaining but not particularly memorable. Perhaps worth another watch.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:45 am
Destoroyah

By Dawn's Early Light 1990 - Very effective thriller with a great cast: Powers Booth, Rebecca De Mornay, James Earl Jones, Peter MacNicol, Martin Landau, Darren McGavin, others. Made by HBO (I think it was pretty early in their original programming). Well written, well directed...definitely worth a watch.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:59 am
Destoroyah

Special Bulletin 1983 - Also made for TV, but I forget which network. Not so much an end-of-the-world scenario as an examination of the possibility of domestic nuclear terrorism. Set-up as a "live transmission" broadcast, a la Orson Wells 1938 WOTW broadcast, it was well done, if at times a bit over-dramatic. Wish they'd release this one on DVD...I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Also remember the network running a disclaimer during the broadcast reminding people this was only a dramatization.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:15 am
Burning Godzilla

Probably should put this in the "I need the board's help" section. When Snurt mentioned Special Bulletin, I remembered a made for TV movie that was kind of a Groundhog's Day of doomsday scenarios. It is all made up of a similar broadcast of a massive, possibly earth ending, disaster. I think one was nuclear strikes on a city and another for folks preparing for a massive tsunami. (Not really sure if the tsunami was part of it.)

But the one whose image remains most in my head was the moments before a massive asteroid strike in which the last footage we get is of a massive, sky engulfing rock colliding with the city, then no signal.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Would we want to count Black Rain? Not the gang movie, the Hiroshima one. And as far as skating up to the edge of the war to end all wars, howsabout The Mouse That Roared? Or Godzilla!

If we reach beyond the realm of nukes, howsabout NOTLD, Day of the Animals, 2012, oh I could go on.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Snurt64 wrote:
Special Bulletin 1983 - Also made for TV, but I forget which network. Not so much an end-of-the-world scenario as an examination of the possibility of domestic nuclear terrorism. Set-up as a "live transmission" broadcast, a la Orson Wells 1938 WOTW broadcast, it was well done, if at times a bit over-dramatic. Wish they'd release this one on DVD...I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Also remember the network running a disclaimer during the broadcast reminding people this was only a dramatization.

It's been released on DVD. It only costs 300 smackers on Amazon.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

There's a nifty "averting the apocalypse" movie from 1965 called The Satan Bug. Stylistically, you might think of it as a techno-thriller from before that genre was properly codified. It's also unusual in that the potentially world-ending weapon that has fallen into the hands of nihilistic terrorists is biological rather than nuclear, and there's a cool red herring bit in which the heroes spend the first half of the movie chasing down one stolen death-germ only to discover that its theft was a distraction meant to cover that of a different synthetic pathogen that makes the first one look like the common cold.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The original novel by Alistair MacLean (as "Ian Stuart") adds another layer of deception, as the whole theft of the Satan Bug is a ploy to empty out the city of London so all of its banks can be robbed.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:38 pm
Burning Godzilla

I have that paperback, and had totally forgotten the bank robbing angle. It struck me as complete cheese -- nothing felt authentic enough to actually be scary.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
I have that paperback, and had totally forgotten the bank robbing angle. It struck me as complete cheese -- nothing felt authentic enough to actually be scary.

I can't disagree. "Ian Stuart" was MacLean trying to be Ian Fleming, I think, unlike his more effective war novels. Of course, MacLean went moved away from realistic war stories to more Bond-like suspense fiction as his career continued.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:19 pm
Minya

This is Not a Test (1962)

I've not seen this, but based on it's synopsis it qualifies.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 pm
Burning Godzilla

Good example. Very low budget film, but surprisingly effective.

You can watch it here.

https://archive.org/details/ThisisNotaTest

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next