Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
The Hallow 
Burning Godzilla

The Hallow

2015 release, directed by Corin Hardy

Starring Joseph Mawle, Bojana Novakovic, Wren Hardy, Michael McElhatton and a cast of...Matangos???

PLOT SUMMARY: Adam (Mawle), his wife Clare (Novakovic), their infant son, Finn (Hardy) and dog Iggy have just moved into a very rustic, out-of-the-way cottage in the Irish countryside, where Adam is doing some sort of scientific research. You never hear any indication of who he is working for or what he is trying to find out, but the job takes him into the forest, Finn strapped into a papoose carrier on dad's back, Iggy running ahead chasing down hoodoos while Adam takes samples. Walking into the ruins of a cabin, he finds something quite disturbing to us -- a dead sheep stretched in what looks like agony against an interior wall, with some kind of spiky deals reaching out of its shattered skull. Adam, far from being disturbed, excitedly takes a vial of samples and feeds them into his computer, explaining to a grossed-out Clare that he's found an example of cordyceps, "the Trojan Horse of fungi." Her answer, in essence, is "You didn't bring that into the house, did you!?" While all this is going on, they are getting into some hassle with an angry neighbor named Colm (McElhatton), who tells Adam he is trespassing and should not be taking his baby out into the woods -- "It's a danger to the little one," he says. They learn later that he lost his little daughter in those same woods and never found her again, which gives them a little sympathy for him, but they still think he's basically a fuzzyduckling. When they refuse to pack up and leave, someone starts throwing rocks in the windows, narrowly missing the baby; they suspect Colm. The local constabulary dismisses it as a bird that hit the window "after having a pint too many." Clare also finds Finn surrounded by green ooze in his crib -- grody-looking stuff sliming out of the roofbeams. This new neighborhood is not working out for them at all. WILL ANYONE SURVIVE?

CLIFFIE'S NOTES:

>> This was billed to me as an underappreciated Halloween feature. Well, it is and it isn't. The movie straddles the line -- if there is a shared boundary at all -- between science fiction and the superstition-riddled ancient Irish landscape that gave us Halloween. I'll tell you what, this one worked a lot better than the straddling of the same boundary I saw in Halloween III: Season of the Witch. But, hoping for a supernatural, spooky feature, I found myself ultimately watching a scary sci-fi story.

>> They did a good job of making Colm straddle the line between 'fuzzyduckling' and 'victim of a danger too terrible to name.' A great moment comes when Clare, fleeing the mayhem with her baby in her arms, finds Colm's house surrounded by Alsatian dogs and buttoned up in a way that suggests Colm is expecting World War III to break out at any moment. Is it because he's such a fuzzyduckling, or because his keep in the Irish forest is surrounded by legit 1upmushrooms?

>> The atmosphere was great. The visuals were great. The SFX were great. The willies they gave me were great.

>> I thought the story moved a little too fast, somehow. We didn't get to know the characters well enough and there wasn't quite enough normality before the weirdness started to interfere with it. the action, once it started, was a tiny bit too much action, not used to tell you more about the characters and how they were faring and what they needed to do to survive.

>> Remember that loooooong moment in House of 1,000 Corpses before Bill Moseley shot the police officer? We had one of those in here, although it had nothing to do with guns. I have to say that in this case, it really made me harder to believe in the character it happened to. they should have handled that one better. That character continued to disappoint me in the rest of the film; but it was made up for by the others.

Overall, though, this was a good, suspenseful watch.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]