Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Battle of the Bad Movie Science Synopses 
Burning Godzilla

Lowest Hanging Fruit Feature:

THE CORE: The Earth is imperiled by the terrible consequences its core slowing down and eventually cooling, which would inevitably make the planet no more than a frozen floating rock in space. WE'RE NOT? Our answer is to develop the ne plus ultra in a manned drilling machine made of UNOBTANIUM. In the process of getting to the core, the crew accidentally shatters a GIANT CRYSTAL GEODE and drills through a layer of diamonds. The destruction of the core produces major electrical storms and meteorological disturbances which the government acknowledges is a serious matter and requires the heroic work of SCIENTISTS playing with thermonuclear bombs in the Earth's core. The nuclear bombs won't be effective unless they go off in carefully timed intervals to get the core spinning again. The Earth, apparently, is nothing more than a big giant rocky gyroscope and scientists are there to pull the string.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The Wasp Woman is created via royal jelly from a queen wasp.

Apparently somebody thinks wasps are bees.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:26 pm
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Our answer is to develop the ne plus ultra in a manned drilling machine made of UNOBTANIUM.

Which, given that the scientists can exit the drill - well into the mantle - while only wearing thin "space"suits, apparently can be woven into fabric.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:09 am
Godzilla

An oldie from the MST3K days: Aliens on the titualr The Phantom Planet look just like us, but really small. This entirely sensible variation is driven by the differences in the size of air molecules in the different atmosphere. When an astronaut visits the planet, he too shrinks after a little time breathing their air, and is assured that breathing the larger version of oxygen back home would restore him to his previous size.

Meanwhile, silly movies sometimes get it right. Frankenstein [still pronouncing it "Fronk-en-shteen" at that point, naturally] opens Young Frankenstein by unambiguously proclaiming that once fully differentiated into their adult form, damaged brain cells (neurons) will absolutely, under no circumstances, ever regenerate. The silly movie goes on to show us a fairly dramatic exception to that allegedly immutable rule. Decades later, real-life medical science has also demonstrated exceptions.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:54 pm
Burning Godzilla

According to Edgar Rice Burroughs, master of knowing just enough science to really screw things up, the internal world of Pellucidar exists in a state of perpetual daylight because the Earth's core forms it's sun. Haven't read Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth to see how the celebrated speculative fiction writer explains the existence of a prehistoric world thousands of feet beneath the Earth's crust, other than BECAUSE.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Haven't read Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth to see how the celebrated speculative fiction writer explains the existence of a prehistoric world thousands of feet beneath the Earth's crust, other than BECAUSE.

I don't remember the story ever actually explaining it, aside from a three-page-long rant about how the Earth's core couldn't possibly be hot. What I do recall is the ending heavily implying that they were nowhere near the core and that the guy who'd delivered said rant had to rethink it.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

One of the less endearing things about the Brendan Fraser Journey to the Center of the Earth remake - even after you get to the earth's core, you can still get a cell phone signal.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:09 am
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:
One of the less endearing things about the Brendan Fraser Journey to the Center of the Earth remake - even after you get to the earth's core, you can still get a cell phone signal.

SCIENCE!!!! and some very creative digital engineering.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Pure Chaos = being pursued by the things that make you guilty, seeking to even the score. (Event Horizon AND Solaris)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Lessons of CONTACT - Messages directed at SETI will invariably be metaphysical manifestations of a dead parent desperate to reconcile with their estranged child. Which means, I suppose, that the afterlife is just your corporeal form transported across the universe.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:

I know it's done as a joke, but in Enchanted, you can get a cell phone signal across diferente dimensions.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

Its been about 20 years since I last saw it the movie Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea that involves something about shooting a nuclear missile into the burning Van Allen radiation belt to save humanity.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Could apply to any number of movies. The Blob 80s era remake: We made an unstoppable killing glop of meta-protoplasm because we thought it a plausible weapon to use against our enemies, even though said mass has no possible way of discerning between "enemies" and "allies" and is essentially an insatiable stomach.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Could apply to any number of movies. The Blob 80s era remake: We made an unstoppable killing glop of meta-protoplasm because we thought it a plausible weapon to use against our enemies, even though said mass has no possible way of discerning between "enemies" and "allies" and is essentially an insatiable stomach.

That same kind of logic also makes me wonder why Weyland-Yutani is so hell-bent on using the Xenomorph as a weapon.

What kind of terrible space wars are happening, which are so bad that something like THAT is considered a viable option?

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

That same kind of logic also makes me wonder why Weyland-Yutani is so hell-bent on using the Xenomorph as a weapon.

What kind of terrible space wars are happening, which are so bad that something like THAT is considered a viable option?

I think it's less a matter of "wars so terrible that the Xenomorphs are a viable option" and more "that thing could kick so much ass if we had it". To partially quote Ripley, Weyland-Yutani was better at "f*****g each other over for a g*ddamn percentage" than logic.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next