Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Book Review:Hammer Films' Psychological Thrillers, 1950-1972 
Godzilla

The British film production company Hammer Films is famous among film buffs for its horror movies. However, what most folks are not aware of nowadays is that Hammer also made a number of first rate flicks that were not horror movies at all. David Huckvale's Hammer Films' Psychological Thrillers, 1950-1972 takes a look at some of these movies. These movies included such productions as The Full Treatment (1960), Taste of Fear (1961), Nightmare (1964) and The Nanny (1965).

British film historian David Huckvalle believes that the time has come for a reassessment of Hammer's legacy. He believes that for all their prowess in horror films, it was really in the area of psychological thrillers that Hammer really made its mark. He also believes that Hammer proved to be more influential in thrillers than it was in horror. Huckvale also shows how Hammer's thrillers also influenced some of their horror movies. Huckvale also shows how since these thrillers were all made in glorious black and white, they were hailed by critics as being better than their technicolor horror films.

However, despite their critical reception, these films did not fare as well as the horror flicks. As a consequence, they have been overlooked by later generations of both film buffs and critics alike. This is what makes Huckvale's book so important.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Very cool. I've only seen a handful of these, but they're pretty impressive.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:08 pm
Burning Godzilla

Thanks to DVD movie compilations, I'm only just now discovering these gems. Thanks for the tip on the book, Fornax.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Huckvale also shows how since these thrillers were all made in glorious black and white, they were hailed by critics as being better than their technicolor horror films.

This is an interesting point, in part because not quite all of the Hammer thrillers were monochrome. Three of the ones I've seen-- Die, Die, My Darling!, The Anniversary, and Fear in the Night-- were in color, and all of those were noticeably inferior to the earlier, black-and-white "Mini-Hitchcocks."

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]