Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Suspiria Remake? 
Destoroyah

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... piria.html

Quote:
Chloë Grace Moretz has joined the cast of director Luca Guadagnino’s remake of Dario Argento’s 1977 film Suspiria, Variety reports. Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson, and Mia Goth were already on board, but Moretz’s addition earned the film a greenlight; it will begin shooting this month in Italy and Hungary.

The original film, written by Argento and Daria Nicolodi, starred Jessica Harper as an American ballet student who discovers a murderous supernatural conspiracy at the prestigious German ballet school she is attending. It’s a classic of Italian horror, as well known for its vivid colors as its plot. Argento went so far as to have Technicolor IB prints made in the film’s initial release, a process which produces extraordinarily bright reds but was already rare by 1977. It will be interesting to see how Guadagnino handles the challenge of an Argento-like color scheme in the age of DCPs. His 2009 film I Am Love was vividly colored—but it was also released on film.

Variety’s story lists no fewer than eight producers and four executive producers, which speaks to the length of time a Suspiria remake has been in the works. In 2003, Dimension Films took a stab at it, hiring Shadow of the Vampire writer Steven Katz to write a screenplay. That went nowhere, and Guadagnino acquired the rights in 2007 through his production company First Star Films, but by the time the project neared production, he wasn’t attached as a director. Instead, in 2012 he hired David Gordon Green, who wrote a script with Chris Gebert; this version would have starred Isabelle Fuhrman. Now David Kajganich—who wrote Guadagnino’s A Bigger Splash—is writing a version Guadagnino will finally direct himself.

As of yet no details on who is playing which part have been released. More importantly, though, the director hasn’t yet commented on the single most important question about any Suspiria remake. Will the first 92 minutes be as terrifying as the last twelve?

Your thoughts?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:27 pm
Burning Godzilla

According to El Santo's rules for remaking:

Quote:
What is your version going to have that the original does not? What variant perspective, sensibility, or intent do you bring to the project? What previously unavailable technique or technology will you use, what newly won freedom from censorship or convention will you exploit, and how will doing so enable you to retell the story in an interesting and meaningfully different way? In short, what makes you think your version is going to be better than what we already have? Anyone who cannot answer those questions, or whose answers are unconvincing when stated directly, should forget all about whatever remake they were developing, and go do something worthwhile instead.

If they can make the story more coherent and still have killer use of colors, set design and cinematography without using CGI to touch things up, then OK.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Heh. Funny that you should quote me specifically in tentatively defending the project, considering what I was just coming in here to say. I really don't understand what the point of a Suspiria remake is supposed to be. Not only is the one we already have perfectly good enough, but I think any serious attempt to fix the elements that don't work seems to doomed to break the ones that do. If you tightened up the story so that the murder mystery first act flowed more smoothly into the occult second and third acts, or so that the whole film throughout wasn't littered with illogic and unreason, you'd lose the "waking up from a half-remembered nightmare" quality that makes Argento's version unique and valuable.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Heh. Funny that you should quote me specifically in tentatively defending the project, considering what I was just coming in here to say. I really don't understand what the point of a Suspiria remake is supposed to be. Not only is the one we already have perfectly good enough, but I think any serious attempt to fix the elements that don't work seems to doomed to break the ones that do. If you tightened up the story so that the murder mystery first act flowed more smoothly into the occult second and third acts, or so that the whole film throughout wasn't littered with illogic and unreason, you'd lose the "waking up from a half-remembered nightmare" quality that makes Argento's version unique and valuable.

My support is quite guarded, especially considering my strong negative reaction to Moretz's Carrie remake (not really her fault, but still). I honestly don't think this will be any good, but I won't dismiss the idea on general anti-remake principle. The best approach they could go for is to make a sort of prequel to the original, as Stomp2 mentioned in his Mother of Tears review that it was implied that something big, yet unspecified, happened before the events of Suspiria.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Carrie. Let Me In. Dark Shadows. Suspiria.

Moretz is the modern queen of horror remakes.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]