Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
What comics are you reading these days? 
Burning Godzilla

In addition to my regular diet of books, movies, audiobooks, fiddle scratchings, gospel quartet performance, and bad bad movies, my diet of comic book titles is climbing. I'm currently reading the following:

IDW - Godzilla - after the less than satisfying Godzilla: Oblivion series, the new series, Rage Across Time, is a significant improvement in story. The big G features in ancient feudal Japan and will be featured as an attacker in ancient Greece.

Boom! - Kong of Skull Island - I'm a sucker for most any type of kaiju-based comic, so I've committed to following this series, but it is extremely convoluted and hard to follow. According to this history, King Kong is the last survivor of a race of near domesticated giant gorillas created through genetic breeding by two factions of a highly advanced Polynesian tribe living in bliss on an island in the Pacific. Then the volcanoes erupted and the two factions are forced to flee to the much more volatile Skull Island inhabited by all manner of aggressive beasts. Those who appreciate how species evolution can occur differently geographically may appreciate some of the inventiveness of the general story, but I still couldn't tell you who are the protagonists and who are the antagonists or what the point of having cool giant apes is meant to be.

Boom! - The Woods - One of Boom! comics longest running titles seems to be heading toward an end, but it has been one of the line's better written and conceived titles.

Marvel - Gwenpool - Dr. McNinja creator Chris Hastings designed a parody character on Deadpool called Gwenpool for a magazine cover and at subsequent comic cons, there were a noticeable number of cosplayers. Noticeable enough to develop the characters and, what the heck, we'll give her a masthead title! I've loved the concept and enjoyed the young series thoroughly so far.

Marvel - Patsy Walker aka Hellcat - This one has captured my imagination a bit more than the much better reviewed Squirrel Girl.

Marvel - Howard the Duck - I was buying this title hoping for some semi-adult themed lunacy about my favorite foul-mouthed, cigar chewing duck a la Steve Gerber and, instead, after ten issues so far, it mostly resembles the safe, safe George Lucas movie version. Seems to be drawing to a blessed conclusion, thankfully.

DC and Boom! - Batman '66/Steed and Mrs. Peel - Two pop culture figures from the 60s are banding together in their own comic and the art and dialogue are spot on. It's only had a single issue debut, but it's balancing between the characters well. I hope this is fun.

Darby Pop - Bruce Lee: The Dragon Rises - It's Bruce Lee! It oughta be good, right? Well, more meh than good. Apparently the concept is that Bruce Lee was frozen rather than killed and now he's back and kicking butt in 2016. Not original, but hey, it's Bruce Lee.

DC - Future Quest - Hanna Barbera heroes Jonny Quest, Frankenstein Junior and Buzz, The Herculoids, Space Ghost (with Jan, Jayce and the space monkey), Birdman, Migh-Tor, and others are in a huge comic cross-over adventure where they must battle against the plottings of the evil Dr. Zin. GOOD! But there is also another, greater evil out there that resembles way too much of another hackneyed variation on HP Lovecraft's tentacle old ones. BAD and IRRITATING.

Oni Press - Heart Throb - Easily the best title of the lot that I've been following. Callie has a heart condition and works at a dead end job in Los Angeles. She gets word that a heart has been found and so, she gets a transplant. Life expectancy not being all that great, Callie wonders if there is more to life than what she is doing. And thus enters the semi-corporeal spirit of the heart donor, a career thief and heist guy. Together they form a strange sort of Bonnie and Clyde relationship. First rate storytelling.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Papa Capim: Noite Branca - So there's a Brazilian comic book writer/artist named Maurício de Souza who created a whole bunch of iconic characters for children's comics back in the 60s, like Monica's Gang; Chico Bento; Piteco the Caveman; and others. And then, late last decade, his publishing company started publishing a manga version of Monica's Gang, in which the characters were now adolescents. His work continues to sell in Brazil. With the success of the aforementioned manga "Turma da Mônica Jovem," his company has published a number of graphic novels with less child-oriented stories and art and gone for something a little more mature. Thus, the graphic novel we see here.

Papa Capim (which translates as "Yellow-Bellied Seedeater", a species of Bird) is a character created by Souza who is a Brazilian Indian boy living at about in the early days of the Age of Discovery. His girlfriend is an Indian girl named Jurema and his best friend is Cafuné. In this graphic novel, a race of mysterious creatures (who sort of look like the creatures from The Hills Have Eyes remake) whose presence is heralded by an ominous fog (hence the name Noite Branca, or White Night) attacks Papa Capim's village. Despite his attempts to warn the village shaman, he's ignored. The villagers disappear and his friend, Cafuné is transformed into a monster. Papa Capim seeks the help of the Snake Spirit so he can fight back against the monsters.

The art is beautiful and the story is compelling, although when I learned the nature of the White Night, I was a bit disappointed. It was too conventional to be really cool. But the scene of Papa Capim leading the animals of the forest against the monsters, including a panel of a monkey strangling a DESCENT-esque beast with an Emerald Tree Boa is too cool for words.

Piteco: Ingá - Another creation of Maurício de Souza given the adult/adolescente graphic novel treatment. The writer and artist of this is a fellow named Shiko, who is from the Brazilian state of Paraíba. The gist of the children's comics of Piteco is that he's a brave caveman who's Always running into dinosaurs and running away from a portly cavewoman named Thuga.

In this tale, Thuga is the village shamaness, who has called her people to migrate elsewhere, now that the river that they live by has dried up. On the eve of the tribe's departure, Thuga is kidnapped by the (Saber-Toothed) Tiger People. So Piteco, his friend Beleléu, and the warrioress Ogra team up to rescue her before she's sacrificed. They meet different gods and monsters (they ride Phorusracids and Pterosaurs, for example) during their journey.

The general idea of this story, which looks great, is that the location of the village of Lem where Piteco lives has moved from "Generic Prehistoric Land" to prehistoric Paraíba, where the author hails from. There's a city called Ingá, not too far from where I served my mission, that has some locally-famous rock carvings, which are integrated into the story. So it's a neat attempt to mix the historical with the fantastical.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Boom! and Dark Horse are giving us a pretty neat idea for a crossover with Tarzan and The Planet of the Apes. The central concept is that, instead of time traveling to 1970s America after the events of Beneath The Planet of the Apes, Cornelius and Zira time traveled to the turn of the century where they encounter an abandoned infant and raise him as their own - Tarzan! They are also educating the species of intelligent ape that Edgar Rice Burroughs created - The Mangani - who originally raised Tarzan as their own. Alas, this evolved tribe of apes, who are beginning to use speech, are being discovered by "The Beast, Man."

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]