Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
G54 question: arranged marriage? 
Godzilla

Gonna have to call on the expertise of this group because my google fu is failing me. I'm writing a chapter for a Japanese book about the appeal of Godzilla in the states. This dude says http://new-savanna.blogspot.com/2010/11/gojira-1954.html that the triangle in G54 is partly about the clash between modern ideas about marriage and the arranged marriages of Japanese tradition. I think it's a very logical point, but is it ever explicitly stated in either version of the movie that Emiko and Serizawa were in fact supposed to have an arranged marriage? Or is that an American assumption? Or is it so obvious in Japan that it doesn't need to be said outright?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Now I want to watch it again to see if I pick up any hints of that. Because it sure never dawned on me in past viewings.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

As I recall, Dr. Serizawa specifically said that their engagement was arranged by their families. Of course, that was dubbed in in English, so it may have been tacked on by someone somewhere along the line. I don't remember whether the subtitled original made any mention of an arranged marriage.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Last edited by Cliffie on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

I just remember Raymond Burr's voice over in the US version stating that it was "the usual triangle."

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:13 pm
Destoroyah

Cliffie wrote:
As I recall, Dr. Serizawa specifically said that their engagement was arranged by their families. Of course, that was dubbed in in English, so it may have been tacked on by someone somewhere along the line. I don't remember whether the subtitled original made any mention of an arranged marriage.

I've not rewatched it in a while, but I recall the same thing, that it had been an arranged marriage. This was in the original version, too, not just the Americanized one.

----------------------
OH NO I MAY HAVE TO WATCH IT YET AGAIN THE HORROR

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]