Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Return Of The Killer Shrews 
Burning Godzilla

2012 release, directed by Steve Latshaw

Starring John Schneider, James Best, Bruce Davison, and a cast of KILLER SHREWS!

PLOT SUMMARY: Thorne Sherman -- once again played by James Best -- returns to the fabled Isle of the Killer Shrews, much against his better judgement, aboard a boat that bears an even more striking resemblance to the Minnow than the one he captained in the original movie. The people he's transporting this time are filming an episode of a dumb reality show about wildlife, starring a self-impressed dork named Johnny Reno (Schneider), who's prone to saying things like "This is Reno's world; you just live in it!" The director of this show is another self-impressed dork, named Willard (Chris Goodman), and the crew is the usual assortment of good-looking twentysomethings, ill-equipped to manage safely even at the Ramada Inn, let alone on a deserted island in the wild and exotic Gulf of Mexico. You can probably tell me what happens from there, right? The killer shrews show up, and they're as hungry as ever they were. WILL ANYONE SURVIVE? None other than Bruce Davison, playing Jerry, will be the one deciding that question!

CLIFFIE'S NOTES ON THIS UNBELIEVABLY WONDERFUL FEATURE:

>> The all-new and improved killer shrews will make you long for the ones they used in the 1959 original. Oh. Dear. God. I hardly need to tell you that they are computer-generated cartoons, right? Let me sort of grade them for you by saying that they do look better than the Sharks in Blue Demon -- I know, that's like saying someone is "nicer than Hitler" -- but not nearly as good as the Pterodactyls in Pterodactyl. That should give you an idea.

>> The great virtue of this film is the constant references, and even flashbacks, to the original picture. It was not a coincidence that there is a character named Willard playing opposite the guy who defined the Willard character back in the early 1970s. They constantly refer to the original Willard, as well, and it did my heart good.

>> They smoothly ignore the fact that shrews are not related to rats. I guess they figured that Bruce Davison is the Master of Small Furries and decided to leave it at that.

>> They also manage, once again, to forget the fact that shrews are poisonous. I can't believe that they keep skipping over this potential horror-film goldmine. Then again, the whole movie is about people too clueless to find their own behinds using both hands and a flashlight, so...

>> Other factors did not do my heart good at all. The guy dressed up as a goat. The rubber snake on a string. The way they find a skeleton equipped with a pocket watch bearing the name of one of the main characters in the story, and never even mention it to him. The lame assaults on the victims that still left everyone in emotional tatters, as if it were scary or upsetting to have a cartoon jump on you. The continuity errors that weren't even funny! Unbelievable!

>> What did my heart the most good of all? The title card at the end that said "COMING SOON: REVENGE OF THE KILLER SHREWS."

I bought my own copy of this one. You should too.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Wow. I didn't expect a decades-later sequel to this one.

I like the fact that they make references to the first one, instead of ignoring it completely.

So, is the overall tone of the film broad comedy, or tongue-in-cheek seriousness?

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

Comedy. The very broadest. When Best said at one point that the scientific experiment in the first installment made the shrews grow "as big as dogs," I laughed out loud.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Quote:
>> They smoothly ignore the fact that shrews are not related to rats. I guess they figured that Bruce Davison is the Master of Small Furries and decided to leave it at that.

I discovered after my initial review that the movie in Portuguese is called Ataque dos Roedores (transl. Attack of the Rodents). I assume they did that because very few people in Brazil would know what exactly a Musaranho is.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Even though they showed a cage full of them in one of the flashback scenes? For nearly a full second of screen time? What more do these people need!?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:

2012 release, directed by Steve Latshaw

Starring John Schneider, James Best, Bruce Davison, and a cast of KILLER SHREWS!

PLOT SUMMARY: Thorne Sherman -- once again played by James Best -- returns to the fabled Isle of the Killer Shrews, much against his better judgement, aboard a boat that bears an even more striking resemblance to the Minnow than the one he captained in the original movie.

Did you know that the Minnow was named after FCC Commissioner Newton Minow who made the (in)famous "Vast Wasteland" speech? Naming the stricken boat after him was the producer's way of making a protest against Minow?

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I never heard of the "vast wasteland" speech. Can you hum a few bars?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Article here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televisio ... c_Interest

Quote:
When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:12 pm
Burning Godzilla

For a second there, I thought all of you were referencing the Gilligan's Island "Minnow," which would lend absolute credence to the former FCC Commissioner's comment.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I was sure talking about Gilligan's Island.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
For a second there, I thought all of you were referencing the Gilligan's Island "Minnow," which would lend absolute credence to the former FCC Commissioner's comment.

The FCC Commissioner's statement was made about 4 years before Gilligan's Island even got on the air.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

The FCC Commissioner's statement was made about 4 years before Gilligan's Island even got on the air.

So it's possible that The Minnow was Sherwood Schwartz getting in a bit of wry commentary in a television show utterly bereft of wry commentary.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Likely, even...

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]