Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Famous Last Words 
Author Message
Godzilla

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:53 am
Posts: 227
Location: Woodstock, IL
Here's an idea for a new compilation thread:
instances where someone has said or written something that makes them look foolish in light of subsequent events.

Here's what gave me the idea:

One of my favorite Internet movie reviewers Andrea Chase at Killer Movie Reviews had this to say about Suicide Squad:
http://www.killermoviereviews.com/movie/suicide-squad/

Quote:
Watching SUICIDE SQUAD, that is, and thinking that here we have a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying much worse than nothing, signifying a major financial loss for its studio.


Well, from what I gather, Suicide Squad has done boffo box office in its premiere week which means that unless the negative buzz results in a massive drop off in subsequent weeks, the studio will make a bundle and a sequel will be commissioned. And you know what they say about sequels being worse than the original. As for myself, since I consider the Harley Quinn character to be as poorly conceived as Squirrel Girl, who was deservedly included in Jon Morris's book on regrettable superheroes, I wouldn't even consider seeing this flick even if the critical reception was a complete 180 degrees different than what it has been.

In any event, do you guys have any examples of profound statements that looked foolish in light of subsequent events, or do you think that this is a bad idea for a thread?


Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:17 am
Posts: 2230
Location: Jacksonville, Arknasas
I dunno, laughing at people with our future foresight feels kind of mean for some reason.

But I'll bite, because if you're going to mention Squirrel Girl and things people say that seem pretty funny in retrospect...

_________________
Currently Watching: Rage of Bahamut

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur


Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:22 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:44 pm
Posts: 6680
Location: London, Ontario
Fornax wrote:

Well, from what I gather, Suicide Squad has done boffo box office in its premiere week which means that unless the negative buzz results in a massive drop off in subsequent weeks, the studio will make a bundle and a sequel will be commissioned.

Well Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice took a 60% drop in ticket sales by the second week, and being that BvS got 27% on Rotten Tomatoes and Suicide Squad got 26% there is a good chance it will drop just as fast.

Fornax wrote:
As for myself, since I consider the Harley Quinn character to be as poorly conceived as Squirrel Girl, who was deservedly included in Jon Morris's book on regrettable superheroes.

Have you even read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and drawn by Erica Henderson? It's bloody brilliant!

_________________
End of Line

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.


Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:37 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9376
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
Movie Mike wrote:
Fornax wrote:
As for myself, since I consider the Harley Quinn character to be as poorly conceived as Squirrel Girl, who was deservedly included in Jon Morris's book on regrettable superheroes.

Have you even read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and drawn by Erica Henderson? It's bloody brilliant!


Darn it, Mike. You beat me to it. I've been loving the more lighthearted line of Marvel funnybooks recently. Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, Gwenpool. They've been more fun than the more established titles and their endless spin offs and cross-overs.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:53 am
Posts: 227
Location: Woodstock, IL
Movie Mike wrote:
Fornax wrote:

Well, from what I gather, Suicide Squad has done boffo box office in its premiere week which means that unless the negative buzz results in a massive drop off in subsequent weeks, the studio will make a bundle and a sequel will be commissioned.

Well Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice took a 60% drop in ticket sales by the second week, and being that BvS got 27% on Rotten Tomatoes and Suicide Squad got 26% there is a good chance it will drop just as fast.

Fornax wrote:
As for myself, since I consider the Harley Quinn character to be as poorly conceived as Squirrel Girl, who was deservedly included in Jon Morris's book on regrettable superheroes.

Have you even read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and drawn by Erica Henderson? It's bloody brilliant!


http://deadline.com/2016/08/weekend-box ... 201802677/
Turns out that Suicide Squad did indeed drop 67% this past week.


Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:12 pm
Posts: 3783
Location: Minnesota
Bergerjacques wrote:
Movie Mike wrote:
Fornax wrote:
As for myself, since I consider the Harley Quinn character to be as poorly conceived as Squirrel Girl, who was deservedly included in Jon Morris's book on regrettable superheroes.

Have you even read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and drawn by Erica Henderson? It's bloody brilliant!


Darn it, Mike. You beat me to it. I've been loving the more lighthearted line of Marvel funnybooks recently. Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, Gwenpool. They've been more fun than the more established titles and their endless spin offs and cross-overs.


I dunno. Squirrel Girl to me is one joke carried on for way, way, way too long.

_________________
"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised." - Brian Warner

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth


Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:50 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2001 2:24 am
Posts: 6572
Location: Tyrannia (NOTE: This is a lie.)
Entertainment Weekly used to do a box office prediction issue where executives would go on the record about stuff that was coming down the pipeline from various studios. They stopped, either because feedback from readers suggested nobody cared or because people stopped going on the record making predictions because those predictions were wrong a lot. The one I remember most is someone pointing out that Leonardo DiCaprio's new movie was almost certainly going to lose a historic amount of money thanks to its troubled production history and that it went so massively over budget that it would have to break records just to break even. On top of that, teenage girls (his biggest audience) would have to go see the movie again and again in order for it to have even the remotest chance of profitability, and what were the odds of that?

The movie was Titanic, of course, and all those things that couldn't happen went on to happen.

_________________
Checkpoint Telstar enters the ring for the RussellMania review roundtable, taking a look at Ken Russell's 1971 masterpiece The Devils.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie covers April Ghoul's Day at the Riverside Drive-In, located in scenic Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.


Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:07 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Posts: 2849
Location: New Jersey, The Garden State!
TelstarMan wrote:
Entertainment Weekly used to do a box office prediction issue where executives would go on the record about stuff that was coming down the pipeline from various studios. They stopped, either because feedback from readers suggested nobody cared or because people stopped going on the record making predictions because those predictions were wrong a lot. The one I remember most is someone pointing out that Leonardo DiCaprio's new movie was almost certainly going to lose a historic amount of money thanks to its troubled production history and that it went so massively over budget that it would have to break records just to break even. On top of that, teenage girls (his biggest audience) would have to go see the movie again and again in order for it to have even the remotest chance of profitability, and what were the odds of that?

The movie was Titanic, of course, and all those things that couldn't happen went on to happen.

I had a similarly bleak view of Titanic's prospects, saying something to the effect of, "We KNOW the boat sinks! How are they going to make this interesting?!" I then avoided watching it on principle, and now I've got to be a one of a handful of people who hasn't seen it at all.

_________________
When 'Celebrity Deathmatch' just isn't nuanced enough for you @ The KO Picture Show "Reviewing the best (and worst) in Pugilistic Pictures!"

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it


Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2001 2:24 am
Posts: 6572
Location: Tyrannia (NOTE: This is a lie.)
KO Rob wrote:
TelstarMan wrote:
Entertainment Weekly used to do a box office prediction issue where executives would go on the record about stuff that was coming down the pipeline from various studios. They stopped, either because feedback from readers suggested nobody cared or because people stopped going on the record making predictions because those predictions were wrong a lot. The one I remember most is someone pointing out that Leonardo DiCaprio's new movie was almost certainly going to lose a historic amount of money thanks to its troubled production history and that it went so massively over budget that it would have to break records just to break even. On top of that, teenage girls (his biggest audience) would have to go see the movie again and again in order for it to have even the remotest chance of profitability, and what were the odds of that?

The movie was Titanic, of course, and all those things that couldn't happen went on to happen.

I had a similarly bleak view of Titanic's prospects, saying something to the effect of, "We KNOW the boat sinks! How are they going to make this interesting?!" I then avoided watching it on principle, and now I've got to be a one of a handful of people who hasn't seen it at all.


I saw it with my older brother (who has a degree in computer animation, and wanted to see the effects). It's pretty mediocre, but in a way that a huge audience responded to massively. It did provide a paycheck for David Warner, though, and for that I am quite happy.

_________________
Checkpoint Telstar enters the ring for the RussellMania review roundtable, taking a look at Ken Russell's 1971 masterpiece The Devils.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie covers April Ghoul's Day at the Riverside Drive-In, located in scenic Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.


Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 pm
Profile
Godzilla

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:53 am
Posts: 227
Location: Woodstock, IL
KO Rob wrote:
TelstarMan wrote:
Entertainment Weekly used to do a box office prediction issue where executives would go on the record about stuff that was coming down the pipeline from various studios. They stopped, either because feedback from readers suggested nobody cared or because people stopped going on the record making predictions because those predictions were wrong a lot. The one I remember most is someone pointing out that Leonardo DiCaprio's new movie was almost certainly going to lose a historic amount of money thanks to its troubled production history and that it went so massively over budget that it would have to break records just to break even. On top of that, teenage girls (his biggest audience) would have to go see the movie again and again in order for it to have even the remotest chance of profitability, and what were the odds of that?

The movie was Titanic, of course, and all those things that couldn't happen went on to happen.

I had a similarly bleak view of Titanic's prospects, saying something to the effect of, "We KNOW the boat sinks! How are they going to make this interesting?!" I then avoided watching it on principle, and now I've got to be a one of a handful of people who hasn't seen it at all.



I haven't seen it either.


Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:35 am
Posts: 2479
Location: Chattanooga TN
Allow me to join the crowd who never saw that blockbuster (as well as hardly any film made after, say, 1985, with a few exceptions here and there.)

_________________
Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.


Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:49 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Posts: 2849
Location: New Jersey, The Garden State!
BMMB = Home of the Titanic Deniers.

Our hearts most certainly will NOT go on!

_________________
When 'Celebrity Deathmatch' just isn't nuanced enough for you @ The KO Picture Show "Reviewing the best (and worst) in Pugilistic Pictures!"

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it


Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2001 2:24 am
Posts: 6572
Location: Tyrannia (NOTE: This is a lie.)
KO Rob wrote:
BMMB = Home of the Titanic Deniers.

Our hearts most certainly will NOT go on!


Here's one my favorite musical groups covering the inescapable Celine Dion song as several other Fifties tracks, most predominantly "Trickle Trickle", a doo-wop song originally by the Videos back in 1958.

BOOM!

And here's California surf-rock combo Los Straitjackets doing an instrumental cover of the same song, but sounding a bit...familiar...if you're someone who has ever received a mixtape from me.
BLAM!

_________________
Checkpoint Telstar enters the ring for the RussellMania review roundtable, taking a look at Ken Russell's 1971 masterpiece The Devils.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie covers April Ghoul's Day at the Riverside Drive-In, located in scenic Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.


Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 pm
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Allow me to join the crowd who never saw that blockbuster (as well as hardly any film made after, say, 1985, with a few exceptions here and there.)

I wouldn't have, but my girlfriend at the time dragged me to it. I invited a good friend and her at-the-time beau for a double date. My friend and I managed to piss off our respective partners by making the occasional snide remark and giggling at inappropriate times (i.e. that poor bastard falling hundreds of feet and hitting the propeller on the way down).



------------------------
Good times.


Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:44 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9376
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
I saw it. I was awestruck by the pageantry. It had an easy-bake plot acted by a team of excellent and seasoned group of actors. And the movie's big set pieces were, indeed, rather incredible while the human stories touched my heart.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy