Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
R.I.P. Yumi Ito of the Shobijin 
Burning Godzilla

Yumi Ito has died at age 75.

Yumi Ito and her twin sister, Emi, were a pop music duo known as The Peanuts in Japan, but are best known by Westerners for playing the Shobijin, the miniature fairies who controlled Mothra in three Toho movies: Mothra (1961); Mothra vs. Godzilla/Godzilla vs. the Thing (1964); and Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964).

Emi Ito had passed away in 2012, so we can take comfort in knowing that the two sisters have been reunited on the other side.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

And are possibly even now singing their soulful rendition of "Sacred Spring" for an adoring crowd.

Sing it, sisters!

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

There will only be two Shobijin* as far as I'm concerned, and now both are gone. And just before I went to see the Rifftrax guys take on Mothra, too. I got a little teary-eyed when they started singing the Mothra song.

-------------------------
*I will give honorable mention to their later-added sister Belvera, who was awesome until they ruined her.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 am
Burning Godzilla

The Rev. D.D. wrote:

*I will give honorable mention to their later-added sister Belvera, who was awesome until they ruined her.

That sounds like a good story to share. THEY, being her sisters?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
And are possibly even now singing their soulful rendition of "Sacred Spring" for an adoring crowd.

Sing it, sisters!

The one time they ever got to finish a song without being interrupted by monsters.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Bergerjacques wrote:
The Rev. D.D. wrote:

That sounds like a good story to share. THEY, being her sisters?

No, "they" being the people behind Rebirth of Mothra III. Mind you, the whole trilogy is a train wreck, the occasional decent monster fight notwithstanding. The first is the best by sole virtue of having the one genuinely moving scene in the trilogy, and for introducing Belvera and her pet dragon Garugaru, who despite being the nominal bad guys skew audience sympathies by being 50 times cooler than her sisters and Fairy Mothra, and approximately 2.5 million times less annoying than the kids who are supposed to be the protagonists. The second movie literally has nothing going for it except Belvera and Garugaru; however, its bland dullness seems fresh and exciting compared to the execrable third movie. It continues the previous movies' sins: evil monsters who are talked up as horrifying threats to all life, and then spend the whole movie puttering around doing practically nothing; Mothra being a Mary Sue Pokemon who evolves into a new form with exactly the right powers to win the current fight every movie; horrible child actors; and very little plot. Then it throws on the most embarrassing special effects sequence I've seen in a Toho movie (I'm surprised Tsubaraya Eiji's corpse didn't start spinning so fast that it ended up surfacing off the coast of Uruguay), and tops it all off by making Garugaru a non-entity and sidelining Belvera for pretty much the whole movie before ruining her with a hokey "redemption" where she makes nice with the Elias and the power of love defeats King Ghidorah. Well, that and Mothra reaching Super Saiyajin 4.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to watch RoM III or the 1998 American Godzilla, I'd tell them to pull the trigger already.

--------------------------
I trust I need say no more.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]