Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Happy Telstar Day! 
Burning Godzilla

Fifty-four years of satellite communications, and nothing's changed (one of the reasons that the Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964 was that people worldwide got to see what the various sheriffs and cops were up to in 1962 when suppressing civil rights demonstrators). That machine killed fascists. Its descendants are doing the same.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:37 pm
Burning Godzilla

A shout out for all the lives saved by weather satellites, too.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:17 pm
Burning Godzilla

And be of good cheer, everyone: They're fixing the GPS problem that failed to take into account the fact that Australia is moving north at a rate of about 3" a year.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

To satellites, even if they will some day carry the lasers that kill us all.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Minya

Echo I was launched in 1960, two years before Telstar. Of course, Echo I was basically a large silver balloon sent into orbit to reflect radio signals aimed at it back to earth. Wikipedia also mentions an experimental communication satellite called SCORE, launched in 1958. I'd heard of Echo I; I'd not heard of SCORE.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]