Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Remake of a remake 
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:
This is one I liked from the list: Yojimbo to Fistful of Dollars to Last Man Standing.

And since we last spoke, a new one has emerged: The Seven Samurai - The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brynner) - The Magnificent Seven (Denzel Washington).

Yojimbo to Fistful of Dollars to Warrior and the Sorceress to Last Man Standing to Rogue Assassin aka War.

And you can add the Dashiell Hammett novel Red Harvest to the front of the list, too.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:51 pm
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
And since we last spoke, a new one has emerged: The Seven Samurai - The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brynner) - The Magnificent Seven (Denzel Washington).

The Seven Samurai - The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brynner) - Battle Beyond the Stars - Seven Warriors (Hong Kong) - A Bug's Life - The Magnificent Seven (Denzel Washington)

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

The Seven Samurai - The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brynner) - Battle Beyond the Stars - Seven Warriors (Hong Kong) - A Bug's Life - The Magnificent Seven (Denzel Washington)

Thanks. I knew I was missing a lot.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

The Seven Samurai --> The Magnificent Seven (Brynner) --> Message from Space --> Battle Beyond the Stars --> Seven Magnificent Gladiators --> Seven Warriors --> A Bug's Life --> The Magnificent Seven (Washington)

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms -> Gojira/Godzilla, King of the Monsters -> The Giant Behemoth -> Gorgo -> Monster from a Prehistoric Planet

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms -> Gojira/Godzilla, King of the Monsters -> The Giant Behemoth -> Gorgo -> Monster from a Prehistoric Planet

And Jaws 3-D could be considered a remake of Gorgo.

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

But only in the sense that Piranha is a remake of Jaws...

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Cliffie wrote:

..and Jaws is essntially Moby Dick

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:01 pm
Minya

TelstarMan wrote:
We're getting a Ben-Hur this year, aren't we? That's the remake of the Fifties version that I believe was a remake of a silent take on the same material.

And there were two silent versions, one from the 19-teens, & one from the 1920's.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:
This is one I liked from the list: Yojimbo to Fistful of Dollars to Last Man Standing.

Yojimbo to Fistful of Dollars to Warrior and the Sorceress to Last Man Standing to Rogue Assassin aka War.

That's a bit tricky. When does it stop being "Remake of X" and become "Same general premise but not much else from X"?

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:33 pm
Burning Godzilla

It's much more fun to call a movie a Jaws rip-off than a movie that shares the same general premise as Jaws. Because who knows, with newer generations not being nearly as pop culture savvy when they are younger as us old fogeys, they may have been inspired to make a rip-off of, say, Megalodon VS Octoshark then be surprised when informed that the movie they ripped off was, itself, a rip-off. But what does that make that rip-off - besides a huge steaming pile of really fun to make fun of dog doody.

Can you imagine a shoddy director proclaiming that they were inspired by Tentacles and then see the incredulity on their face when they are told that movie was a rip-off of this movie called Jaws.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

El Santo wrote:
The Seven Samurai --> The Magnificent Seven (Brynner) --> Message from Space --> Battle Beyond the Stars --> Seven Magnificent Gladiators --> Seven Warriors --> A Bug's Life --> The Magnificent Seven (Washington)

Allegedly, Message from Space was loosely based on a 19th century novel, not The Seven Samurai. The director later made a period adaption, Legend of the Eight Samurai, which also took liberties with the source.

Info on Message from Space:
https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/201 ... pace-1978/

Legend of the Eight Samurai:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of ... ht_Samurai

And here's info on the novels both these films are supposed to be based on:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nans%C5%8 ... _Hakkenden

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 pm
Burning Godzilla

Snurt64 wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

..and Jaws is essntially Moby Dick

Wow, I never noticed that before.

So, is this thread about remakes or about archetypes?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2