Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Delicate Feelings at Emory University 
Godzilla

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... signs.html

https://reason.com/blog/2016/03/22/at-e ... ump-2016-o

https://reason.com/blog/2016/03/23/emor ... ws-to-hunt

Back when I was a college student, it was common to see chalk messages on sidewalks and elsewhere on campus. Quite often these messages were political. Hardly anyone ever talked about these messages.

However at Emory University in Atlanta, the students there have such delicate feelings that the sight of chalk messages reading "Trump 2016" referring to the man who had not too long earlier won the Georgia Primary was enough to cause a number of students to go to see the university president, James W. Wagner, to demand that their safe space be restored to them. Instead of standing up for free speech, Wagner instead groveled and kowtowed to the students promising that university security would do everything possible to identify the person(s) involved in bringing such unwanted thought to the school.

What's really weird about all this is that ever since the heyday of the New Jersey Generals and the United States Football League, Donald Trump has been in the news on a more or less continual basis. Ever since the summer of last year, he has been on the front pages of newspapers everywhere regularly and the broadcast networks are full of content about the guy. You would think that the students at Emory University would be used to hearing/seeing his name by now so much so that seeing "Trump 2016" on sidewalks would not be noticed.

So what accounts for all these delicate feelings and the fact that university officials seem hell bent on pandering to these persons no matter how absurd their claims?

Last edited by Fornax on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I have... well, it's not nearly well enough developed yet to qualify as a theory, but that's what it wants to be when it grows up... that maybe the whole safe-space/trigger-warning/cover-the-world-in-Nerf thing that you see among young lefties today is sort of a counterpart to the "Mexican ebola Muslims are coming to gay-marry our guns!" panic on the right. I went to college in the early-to-mid-90's, so I got to be at ground zero for the original outbreak of "political correctness." I saw plenty of misguided identity politics, plenty of silly attempts to control reality by policing language, plenty of self-defeating emphasis on purity of doctrine over practical results. But what I did not see was the fear. What I did not see was the insistence upon trying to interpret everything through a lens of trauma-recovery. 2016's eighteen-year-olds were born in 1998, though. That means they were three when Al Qaeda blew up the World Trade Center and temporarily turned the Pentagon into the Quadrangle. They've spent their whole conscious lives hearing people telling them to be afraid, and that has to have had an effect somewhere, even if they reject the forms of fear than any specific person might attempt to instill in them.

Like I said, this line of thinking hasn't fully matured yet, and there are plenty of details that I don't feel like it adequately explains. Nor am I confident that I understand how this "culture of fear" business might interact with other factors. I do believe I'm onto something here, however.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I wouldn't be surprised if a key catalyst for the whole 'safe space' issue on campus was the 2007 massacre at my alma mater.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if a key catalyst for the whole 'safe space' issue on campus was the 2007 massacre at my alma mater.

It's absolutely grotesque that I have to ask this, but which school shooting was that again?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

One might also wonder when the trend toward super-protective parenting began. I didn't really notice it had become a thing until about a decade ago, but I don't interact with many people who have kids. It may date back to the Satanic Panic days. I'm sure 9/11 contributed, or rather our collective reaction to it: the disaster was hardly all that unique as national traumas go, and plenty of peoples around the world have endured far worse with great frequency, but we all acted as if it was the most traumatic thing ever.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

As an American expatriate who was never too into politics even before emigrating, I admittedly don't know a whole lot about the subject. But from observing both sides (right/left) on Facebook, I can't help but wonder if the political landscape was Always such that almost *anything* said by one party was not only dismissed by the opposing party, but treated as the Ultimate Horror as well.

Over where I'm planted, Political Correctness is far less of an issue than is "will getting rid of our current leaders do anything to help dismantle the self-perpetuating Corruption Machine that has arguably been in place since the original colonization?"

Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Charnelhouse wrote:

It's absolutely grotesque that I have to ask this, but which school shooting was that again?

Virginia Tech. One disturbed student took out 32 students and faculty (and himself) on April 16, 2007.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 am
Burning Godzilla

Looks like the Daily Heil is full of it on this one: http://www.snopes.com/emory-students-trump-graffiti/

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:24 am
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:

If it was, they would (as usual) be completely missing the point.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Those of you who fancy yourselves creative writers might find this Reason Magazine contest worthy of your time:

https://reason.com/blog/2016/03/25/reas ... -the-emory

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

In doing so, are we supposed to ignore the debunking of the original story?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
It's almost like you're suggesting that the truth should have some kind of bearing on the narrative that someone wants to make out of it? Well, that's crazy talk. This is politics we're talking about here.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:07 am
Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:

First of all, I don't understand what Telstar meant by "The Daily Heil" given that most people when they hear "Heil", immediately think of Hitler.

If you were to look at my original posting, you will see that I did not repeat any of the claims made at other websites about Emory University clamoring for emergency therapy and the like. That's because those claims seemed to be not as well substantiated as the rest of the story. If you were to go back to the Snopes piece, they questioned the bit about counseling. Their "debunking" was not too much different from what I posted. However, the Snopes reporter, like myself, was not an on the scenes reporter and as it happens, Snopes has been wrong before.

In any event, there have been 2 further developments in this case that have not received as much publicity as the original allegations,

First if you go to the Inside Higher Education website at https://www.insidehighered.com/views/20 ... sity-essay you will find an essay by the Emory University Dean of Campus Life Ajay Nair that it one of the unintentionally funniest things I've read in quite some time. It gets even funnier in light of reports on the Internet that this guy is being paid over $300,000 to write drivel like that. He really got hammered in the comments.

There is some good news in light of the posting at the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education website at https://www.thefire.org/emory-president ... ion-video/ concerning the response by the president of Emory University to concerned alumni and non-paranoid students. Hopefully, we can all put this particular controversy behind us.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
supersonic man wrote:

First of all, I don't understand what Telstar meant by "The Daily Heil" given that most people when they hear "Heil", immediately think of Hitler.

They should. And when you're talking about the Daily Heil, they deserve it.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:46 am
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
If you were to look at my original posting, you will see that I did not repeat any of the claims made at other websites about Emory University clamoring for emergency therapy and the like.

Indeed you didn't repeat them, you only linked to them without any disagreement or criticism.

Fornax wrote:
Hopefully, we can all put this particular controversy behind us.

And while we're at it, how about we put the next controversy you bring up behind us too, in advance?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next