Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Force Awakens Flame War Spectacular!... just kidding... 
Burning Godzilla

I was never impressed with Han Solo. The character was a walking cliche and I thought Ford wasn't anything all that special playing him. Indy was a way cooler role.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Easy E wrote:
Hmmm, I am surprised no one has much more to say about this.

If you read my review in the Review Thread, I pretty much say the same as BJ did, so no sense in repeating it here. That is exactly what happened.

But again, the true test will be what Abrams does next. Where is he taking the franchise. He can't tell Empire Strikes Back Again, given what happened when he retold Space Seed/Wrath of Khan.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 am
Godzilla

TelstarMan wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:
Easy E wrote:
I think the off-year, movies will be much more interesting AND play around with genre conventions the way the Marvel films have done. For example, Rogue sounds like it is going to be a spy/heist movie int eh Star wars universe. I can totally get behind that idea, since that was what Ant-man did with the Marvel universe.

I have not heard of "Rogue," but if Disney does plan to launch new stories with characters from within the Star Wars universe, I can get really excited about the futures of the franchise. Like we both said, I could REALLY dig an Adventures of Han and Chewbacca with nary a light saber in sight.

Well, we're supposedly getting a Han Solo film in a couple years; it'll be about what he was getting up to in the decade or so before A New Hope. I imagine that it won't be a complete origin story, but rather just him on a smuggling run with Chewbacca in the co-pilot's seat. Maybe it'll show him winning the Millenium Falcon from Lando Calrissian in that fixed card game or something too (proving that the ship was always a piece of junk and never looked new).

Rogue One supposedly has Donnie Yen as a Jedi, so I'm going to love it.

First I've heard of a Han Solo film. Is it going to be based on any of the novels by Brian Daley? Those were great.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
First I've heard of a Han Solo film. Is it going to be based on any of the novels by Brian Daley? Those were great.

Can't tell you anything about what the movie's going to be based on (I don't believe it's been written yet), but at a guess? No. The entire "expanded universe" of novels and other ancillary products has been removed from continuity so that Disney can develop the storylines however they want to. There's articles on io9.com about what got kept and what got removed and which things from The Force Awakens are similar to stuff from the expanded universe but I never read any of those books or comics or watched the TV shows, so I can't give you any examples off the top of my head.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie covers April Ghoul's Day at the Riverside Drive-In, located in scenic Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am
Burning Godzilla

I just got back from it, and honestly, as someone who was never that into Star Wars I thought it was GREAT! And honestly, not all much of a retread from the previous films. There were definitely echos and beats, but no more than any other big franchise, and certainly not to the film's detriment.

This may come close to actually making me a fan.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:05 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Easy E wrote:
Can someone help explain why they are still called The Resistance?

The impression I got was that the Republic and the Resistance were two different but connected things. After the Emperor's death, the Empire fractured into two mutually antagonistic states: the Republic and the First Order. The Resistance is to the First Order what the Rebel Alliance was to the Empire, and because its aims align with those of the Republic, the Republic feeds the Resistance resources under the table.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

...so it's state-sponsored terrorism.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
...so it's state-sponsored terrorism.

Yup. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, as the saying goes. I'd love to see the series actually do something with that one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I wouldn't expect it either. Star Wars has always been kid stuff. If you want nuance, or a view of both sides of an issue, you'll have much better odds of finding it in Star Trek than Star Wars.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Finally got around to seeing this one, and, hmm, did not like too much about it. Well, OK, that's not true--the background practical effects creatures were great! I enjoyed them every time they were on the screen. Scraggly little birds! Pig-beasts! Three mosquito ladies! And Simon Pegg was some kind of blobfish man, which was nice. But everything else, it was just kind of there, you know? It did not evoke any strong feelings positive or negative, it felt like it was just going through the motions. Maybe I'm just over Star Wars as a thing, which would be a shame because I used to love that franchise, but I just don't understand what folks are talking about when they say it "sent them right back to 1977 again" or suchlike. To me it was but echoes in the dark.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Finally got around to seeing this one, and, hmm, did not like too much about it. Well, OK, that's not true--the background practical effects creatures were great! I enjoyed them every time they were on the screen. Scraggly little birds! Pig-beasts! Three mosquito ladies! And Simon Pegg was some kind of blobfish man, which was nice. But everything else, it was just kind of there, you know? It did not evoke any strong feelings positive or negative, it felt like it was just going through the motions. Maybe I'm just over Star Wars as a thing, which would be a shame because I used to love that franchise, but I just don't understand what folks are talking about when they say it "sent them right back to 1977 again" or suchlike. To me it was but echoes in the dark.

For me it was the new characters, which are about 100x more interesting and likable than those in the prequels. I think that is key, most assess the film in the context of what came before it.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:55 am
Godzilla

Finally got around to seeing it earlier today and didn't like it at all. When are the SW writers going to get over the idea of constantly using the Death Star gimmick?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Oh I liked the new Death Star. It eats stars and spits out blazing hell lasers. It's pretty metal.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Finally got around to seeing it earlier today and didn't like it at all. When are the SW writers going to get over the idea of constantly using the Death Star gimmick?

My hope is that spin offs from the main continuity get away from major big bads and planet destroying weapons and get down to other ways of being evil. There is plenty of ongoing smuggling and organized crime throughout the Star Wars universe. Maybe a lone space drifter profits off of dueling Hut clans in a remote town in Tattooine a la Yojimbo.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
Oh I liked the new Death Star. It eats stars and spits out blazing hell lasers. It's pretty metal.

Eh, it was more "magical red stuff that destroys planets" that Abrams is so fond of (see Star Trek) while defying physics even moreso than the original Death Star (and employing the same "everything in space can be seen in the daytime sky of whatever planet you're on" that also bugged me in Star Trek). And as little as we cared about Alderaan before it was destroyed in Ep. IV, at least we could be upset about it a little bit through Leia, this time around the audience is made to give zero craps about this whole system of planets that asplodes.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next