Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Can Campus Food be "Racist"? 
Godzilla

When I was a kid, my parents always insisted that I bring a sack lunch to school since they felt that they could provide a better, more wholesome meal than the school lunch program. They might have been right since I hard nothing but complaints from the other kids about how bad the school lunches were. Moving on to college, all ever heard from the kids who, unlike myself, took part in the school cafeteria and the like was how "starchy" the food was.

However, for all the complaints that I heard, I never heard anyone complain about the official food programs being "racist."

In 2015, kids ran amuck on college campuses decrying racism in places where nobody ever saw racism before:

http://nypost.com/2015/12/27/spoiled-co ... s-a-right/

But everyone’s got a complaint these days. Take the students at Oberlin whining that the food served in campus dining halls is racist. Their parents are paying more than $60,000 a year in tuition, enough to cover a few meals at Le Bernadin each week, but instead they are stuck with inauthentic banh mi sandwiches and General Tso’s chicken prepared with the wrong sauce.

“When you’re cooking a country’s dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you’re also representing the meaning of the dish as well as its culture,” said student Tomoyo Joshi. “So if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative.”

(Shockingly, Oberlin apologized!)

It’s a little hard to figure out how to navigate this minefield of microaggressions, though. Black students on campus are demanding more fried chicken be added to the menu at the Afrikan Heritage House. But if some Oberlin dean had suggested adding more fried chicken to the cafeteria serving black students, he probably would have been fired by now for racial insensitivity.

The horrors!

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Dude, I don't know what kinda tiny hatchet you're wanting to grind with these posts, but whatever it is, it's not something I even want to make a response to, and I don't seem to be alone in that. And we do have a rule:

Quote:
No Serious Discussion of Politics, Religion or (tee-hee) Sex: We’re not saying you aren’t capable of having such discussions. More that such discussions, even if started with the best of intentions, tend to lead towards loudness and the shouting with the insults and the hurt feelings and oy lady! Ahem.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

What, specifically, is your objection to discussing current events here?

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:08 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

There's a lot I could say, but the simple answer is that it's not what we come here for. In other words, nobody wants to hear it. That's why you don't get much response.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
There's a lot I could say, but the simple answer is that it's not what we come here for. In other words, nobody wants to hear it. That's why you don't get much response.

Oddly enough, of all the posts that I've made here one that got more response than most of the others was about the Chappaquiddick movie that is reportedly in the works. Nobody here complained about it being posted even though it involved one of the most prominent politicians of the past half century. How was that not objectionable on political grounds while a post about complaints about school food on grounds other than food quality is?

topic7844.html

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax...I'm trying to find a way to explain it. We are a SUPER open group, and honestly having not only a new member, but also one who likes to start a lot of conversation is extremely welcome.

It's just...so many of those discussions about are controversies and "I can't believe they said that", or "why aren't people paying more attention to X". I think it just gives you a kind of very confrontational "tone" which may make people uncomfortable. This board is a pretty cozy, nerdy place and I just don't think it's the right place for that kind of stuff.

I can't really decide or describe what's "right" for this board...hell a lot of us have been on this board so long that we just kind of naturally "assume" what's right, so I really don't know how to accurately put it. Just when you come to this board I think you should think of it as a place to relax and have fun foremost, I guess I can describe it.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:48 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
Fornax...I'm trying to find a way to explain it. We are a SUPER open group, and honestly having not only a new member, but also one who likes to start a lot of conversation is extremely welcome.

It's just...so many of those discussions about are controversies and "I can't believe they said that", or "why aren't people paying more attention to X". I think it just gives you a kind of very confrontational "tone" which may make people uncomfortable. This board is a pretty cozy, nerdy place and I just don't think it's the right place for that kind of stuff.

I can't really decide or describe what's "right" for this board...hell a lot of us have been on this board so long that we just kind of naturally "assume" what's right, so I really don't know how to accurately put it. Just when you come to this board I think you should think of it as a place to relax and have fun foremost, I guess I can describe it.

I can certainly understand where you're coming from. In any event, for the most part, my posting was confined to the reviews board until I noticed that most of the posting elsewhere was limited to the accumulation threads and not a whole lot of discussion going on here.

In any event, I'm going to take a few days off posting here. Not so much, however, because of this thread, but because I've gotten interested in Edward D. Wood, Jr and have been looking up stuff on him lately to post about later this week.

If you want some idea about what I've been thinking about lately, let's put it this way: Was Ed Wood really as incompetent as people say he was? I've seen quite a few movies over the years that had plots that were were worse than most of the stuff that Wood made. Example: If you've ever seen Jail Bait, that's a flick with a coherent story, at least average acting and direction and it compares well to a number of other "film noir" movies.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
supersonic man wrote:

Oddly enough, of all the posts that I've made here one that got more response than most of the others was about the Chappaquiddick movie that is reportedly in the works. Nobody here complained about it being posted even though it involved one of the most prominent politicians of the past half century. How was that not objectionable on political grounds while a post about complaints about school food on grounds other than food quality is?

topic7844.html

Because it's a movie. This is a movie board. Some movies are political and generally we can handle that. A post like this one is, by comparison, gratuitous.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]