Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Something, Something, Something..... Random 
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
Here in Brazil, there’s a certain percentage of your salary that’s deducted every month and placed into a special fund that you don’t have access to unless a) you’re laid off, b) you’re going to buy a house, or c) you retire. In an attempt to stimulate the economy, the government has liberated those values from the fund that were deposited from previous jobs. With this money, my wife and I were able to pay off a big bank loan (that otherwise we would’ve been paying until December) plus a second, smaller debt. You read that right, two of my debts have now been divided by zero.

And you have money left over?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Hman wrote:
Here in Brazil, there’s a certain percentage of your salary that’s deducted every month and placed into a special fund that you don’t have access to unless a) you’re laid off, b) you’re going to buy a house, or c) you retire. In an attempt to stimulate the economy, the government has liberated those values from the fund that were deposited from previous jobs. With this money, my wife and I were able to pay off a big bank loan (that otherwise we would’ve been paying until December) plus a second, smaller debt. You read that right, two of my debts have now been divided by zero.

And you have money left over?

Enough to pick up a package of 16 DVDs a friend sent that got caught in customs, plus buy some used furniture from my sister-in-law's aunt to go toward the new house we plan on renting.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Listened to a cd of Famous Monsters Speak (1963), a novelty album that was advertised in the back of monster magazines in the old days. (Apparently there is no direct connection to Famous Monsters of Filmland.) There are two tracks. (They'd be the two sides of a vinyl album in the original version.) In the first one, an announcer reveals that a recording of the Frankenstein monster has been discovered in Switzerland. We then listen to the monster's voice as he tells us of his creation and his desire to destroy his creator and, later, all of humanity. Definitely not the mute Karloff version. The second one begins with a narrator typing his story of discovering Dracula in the depths of a London museum. We then hear Dracula lead the fellow out into the streets in search of a victim. This version of the Count is done with then typical Lugosi accent. The whole thing is surprisingly well done. The monsters are treated seriously. One actor supplies all the voices, judging by the credits ("the voices of Gabriel Dell.")

The cd uses only a small version of the original groovy cover art.

http://spocksrecordround-up.blogspot.co ... -with.html

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:28 am
Burning Godzilla

So are there any sci-fi or horror movies out there that one might say, “Oh, this could easily be part of the ALIEN universe” without squinting very hard? You know, in terms of story elements, thematic elements, tonal consistency and maybe even set design? They don’t have to be rip-offs, although perhaps some of those might fit the bill.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Galaxy of Terror comes to mind. There's a brief scene, if memory serves, where an experienced space traveler states that some previous encounter, not specified, was traumatic enough that she almost wound up at a "breather bar." She could be an older Ripley with some bad memories.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat May 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Burning Godzilla

Doing my usual morning chores -- giving the cats their food and water, scooping out the little boxes, and so on -- I went into the downstairs bathroom and saw a round, light brown object on the roll of toilet paper. I could not imagine what it might be. Cat vomit? Part of the body of a rodent? Nothing seemed likely. Upon inspection it turned out to be a bat, its wings folded away and entirely concealed by its body. I took the roll outside and shook it until the bat flew away unharmed.

Sun May 21, 2017 7:11 pm
Burning Godzilla

Made it to the special "Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters" exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Art today. It ends next week.

Mr. del Toro keeps many, many strange things in his Bleak House, quite a lot of which were on display at the exhibit. For one, to my lack of surprise, he has a minor obsession with Frankenstein's monster. He also has a room set up so that it always looks and sounds like it's raining, an effect recreated in the exhibit.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Galaxy of Terror comes to mind. There's a brief scene, if memory serves, where an experienced space traveler states that some previous encounter, not specified, was traumatic enough that she almost wound up at a "breather bar." She could be an older Ripley with some bad memories.

I almost suggested Galaxy of Terror when H-Man asked me the same question privately via Facebook, but then I remembered the Planet Master. I'm not sure the Alien universe has room for living gods who want nothing more than to die already, and who therefore lay elaborate traps in the hope of tricking some other schmuck into accepting apotheosis in their place.

Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:

I almost suggested Galaxy of Terror when H-Man asked me the same question privately via Facebook, but then I remembered the Planet Master. I'm not sure the Alien universe has room for living gods who want nothing more than to die already, and who therefore lay elaborate traps in the hope of tricking some other schmuck into accepting apotheosis in their place.

I've read comments on other forums that suggest that Outland could exist in the same universe, in terms of visuals/set design. Perhaps Creature could, albeit at an earlier point where interstelar travel hadn't quite become the norm?

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hello everyone...thought I'd drop in....and I realize...I joined this board 15 years ago? Wow.

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Welcome back, and stick around.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:14 pm
Burning Godzilla

ProfessorMortis wrote:
Hello everyone...thought I'd drop in....and I realize...I joined this board 15 years ago? Wow.

You joined this board before you were married and had a kid, Mort. And already your one post has generated three box within a box responses. You're amazing.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I had a dream last night where I was locked in a swordfight with Nelo Angelo from Devil May Cry (who I kept calling Beowulf for some reason).

By far the most interesting dream I've had in ages.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 am
Site Admin

I'm partly posting this to say hi, partly because I honestly don't remember what my signature is.

Edit: Huh! Well, at least the user pic is still dead on. Hello, everyone!

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Greetings and felicitations. I hope all is going well for you.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next