Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Something, Something, Something..... Random 
Author Message
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am
Posts: 6161
Location: In the orbit of Baltimore, Maryland
Winter staggers in a month and half late for work, her drapery (which, as always, clings to her in ways that subtly fail to comport with the known laws of physics) stained with what appear to be urine and vomit. She reeks of drunk-sweat and peppermint schnapps, and her bleary, squinting eyes fairly smolder with resentment. "Oh, now you care about the sodding polar bears, is that it?" she snarls as hurls herself into her seat. Simultaneously, an angry chill thuds down upon the eastern half of North America.

_________________
Now at 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting-- Arrival, The House that Dripped Blood, Magic, Rogue One, and more!


Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:12 pm
Posts: 3763
Location: Minnesota
El Santo wrote:
Winter staggers in a month and half late for work, her drapery (which, as always, clings to her in ways that subtly fail to comport with the known laws of physics) stained with what appear to be urine and vomit. She reeks of drunk-sweat and peppermint schnapps, and her bleary, squinting eyes fairly smolder with resentment. "Oh, now you care about the sodding polar bears, is that it?" she snarls as hurls herself into her seat. Simultaneously, an angry chill thuds down upon the eastern half of North America.


Meanwhile, in the midwest, Winter's estranged brother, Cold Season, leans on his desk, face on his hands. His suit is elegantly cut and trimmed out with gold on the cuffs, and if you listen closely, you can hear it crack a tad when he moves. (Some people joke that he cuts his chair when he sits down.) "What the hell took you so long?" he yells into his cell phone.

During this time, it snows on Minnesota as it has intermittently since November, as the temperatures finally dare to climb above 20 degrees F for the first time in three weeks.

_________________
"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised." - Brian Warner

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth


Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:20 am
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Minnesota
The only good thing about the Minnesota Cold is that if you listen, you can really hear everything around you. The rattle of your breath, the soft crunch beneath boot with every step, and sounds carried from miles around. It is amazing!

_________________
*This space available*


Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:08 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:48 am
Posts: 4912
Location: Brighton, MI
I was trudging out to my car to go to work this morning, thinking, "I cannot be living in a world that has been without David Bowie for a whole year now. It's too cruel. Especially after that freaking presidential election."

I turned on the car, and there was Ozzy singing "See You On The Other Side." It seemed calculated to set my mind at ease...at least on the David Bowie issue.

_________________
Guy in bar: "I got 50 dollars in my pocket saying you're coming home with me tonight."
Girl in bar: "They're lying to you."
(from Psychos In Love)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!


Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:12 pm
Posts: 3763
Location: Minnesota
Just got back from a Jeff Dunham show.

Yeah, I know, lowbrow. But I still laughed untiL I went lightheaded.

Best moments were, as usual, when things went off the rails. This time it included Jeff accidentally hurling Peanut across the stage ("WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT?!?") and, during a question-answer session with Achmed, Jeff unthinkingly reading the name "Hugh Jorgin".

_________________
"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised." - Brian Warner

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth


Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 am
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
We actually got a little snow last week down here in Texas.

Today it was about 80 degrees.

I never thought I'd miss midwestern winters until I moved to a place that only has winter once every four years, and then only for about a week and a half.




---------------------------
Hopefully I remember I said this when I'm up in Chicago next week...


Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:18 am
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
Just a quick thanks to BJ for bringing Rocket Raccoon and Groot Steal the Galaxy to my attention. Dan Abnett's been a favorite of mine for a while now as the workhorse of the Warhammer 40K library, and yet this had slipped under my radar. I'll be making a point to grabbing it ASAP.



--------------------------
The title alone is making me happy.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:01 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:12 pm
Posts: 3763
Location: Minnesota
The Rev. D.D. wrote:
Just a quick thanks to BJ for bringing Rocket Raccoon and Groot Steal the Galaxy to my attention. Dan Abnett's been a favorite of mine for a while now as the workhorse of the Warhammer 40K library, and yet this had slipped under my radar. I'll be making a point to grabbing it ASAP.



--------------------------
The title alone is making me happy.


I'm afraid I can't share your enthusiasm. Unless Gaunt's Ghosts got a lot better really damned fast after the first 2 1/3 books, to me, Abnett's name indicates expository dialogue and tell-don't-show storytelling.

Then again, that's an audiodrama you're talking about, isn't it? Maybe his writing style works a hell of a lot better in an audio-only format.

_________________
"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised." - Brian Warner

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth


Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:31 pm
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Minnesota
The Eisenhorn trilogy was entertaining, but I never got into Gaunt's Ghosts.

_________________
*This space available*


Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9308
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
Mr. Paradox wrote:
The Rev. D.D. wrote:
Just a quick thanks to BJ for bringing Rocket Raccoon and Groot Steal the Galaxy to my attention. Dan Abnett's been a favorite of mine for a while now as the workhorse of the Warhammer 40K library, and yet this had slipped under my radar. I'll be making a point to grabbing it ASAP.



--------------------------
The title alone is making me happy.


I'm afraid I can't share your enthusiasm. Unless Gaunt's Ghosts got a lot better really damned fast after the first 2 1/3 books, to me, Abnett's name indicates expository dialogue and tell-don't-show storytelling.

Then again, that's an audiodrama you're talking about, isn't it? Maybe his writing style works a hell of a lot better in an audio-only format.


Abnett pokes a lot of fun at himself and his penchant for exposition. There are three key narrators, one of whom is the main character - a recorder android designed specifically to record events happening in the galaxy and then periodically return to his home planet to dump the stored narrative into this grand history. Throughout the audio presentation, he undergoes a change in his personal detachment from the narrative because of Rocket, Groot, and Gamora's influence. In addition, he opts for moments to halt the narrative completely to offer a personal insight or find an Earth metaphor so that we can relate. There are moments that occur away from the Recorder robot's POV that are handled through a traditional style narrator, but even it it is prone to quirks. A gigantic space battle between giant Kree and Badoon battle cruisers is epic enough to be viewed in some context by civilizations of nearby planets. The effect is markedly different between a planet occupied by peoples capable of space flight and those on a distant planet that are just developing an awareness of the use of semi-complex tools. (As I explained before, it reaches for the kind of tangents for which Douglas Adams is notably famous. Abnett does not have Adams deep wells of creative anarchy, but he doesn't suck at it either.)
Some moments work better than others, but Abnett is an accomplished enough writer, and apparently self-aware enough of his own style, that the overall story works just fine. I was reluctant to bring it to an end.

It seems obvious that Graphic Audio has the expertise and resources to put together this blend of audiobook narrative with audiodrama. The cast is huge - perhaps aided by Marvel/Disney - but it really is what an audio-only adventure should be.

There is also a six-hour treatment of the original Marvel Civil War cross over which diverges from the comics and from the Captain America movie. The audio recording was a finalist for best production in the 2014 Audie Awards.I think I'll look into that next.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 1:12 am
Posts: 245
Location: East Windsor, NJ
*yawn* I am up. Sorry for being away for so long. I have been pretty busy with looking for a job and going back to school. How has it been going for everyone?

_________________
-Just Finished Playing:
-Currently Playing: Danganronpa 2
-"Crap. This is my hobby." -Dr. Freex
-"Willie Dynamite is a king among pimps. He is stylish, he makes his scratch from his hoes' backs, he keeps his b****es in line, and...OH MY GOD! IT'S GORDON FROM "SESAME STREET!" - Badmovies.org


Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9308
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
Looked for a job, found a job. Got this other job, too.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:35 am
Posts: 2432
Location: Chattanooga TN
Welcome back!

_________________
Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.


Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5122
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Here in Brazil, there’s a certain percentage of your salary that’s deducted every month and placed into a special fund that you don’t have access to unless a) you’re laid off, b) you’re going to buy a house, or c) you retire. In an attempt to stimulate the economy, the government has liberated those values from the fund that were deposited from previous jobs. With this money, my wife and I were able to pay off a big bank loan (that otherwise we would’ve been paying until December) plus a second, smaller debt. You read that right, two of my debts have now been divided by zero.

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:12 pm
Posts: 3763
Location: Minnesota
Hman wrote:
Here in Brazil, there’s a certain percentage of your salary that’s deducted every month and placed into a special fund that you don’t have access to unless a) you’re laid off, b) you’re going to buy a house, or c) you retire. In an attempt to stimulate the economy, the government has liberated those values from the fund that were deposited from previous jobs. With this money, my wife and I were able to pay off a big bank loan (that otherwise we would’ve been paying until December) plus a second, smaller debt. You read that right, two of my debts have now been divided by zero.


I think that's similar to the American 401K, but I'm a part-time worker who'll never see one, so I'm not sure.

_________________
"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised." - Brian Warner

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth


Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:22 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy