Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Something, Something, Something..... Random 
Burning Godzilla

Well, I was completely wrong.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Guys...

...I'm kind of scared right now

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:32 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

I've said it again and again since Kerry lost. The left is great at insulting people, but they're terrible at convincing the public why they should vote for them instead.

You can't shame people onto your side. It just makes you look bad.

(For the record, I voted for Gary Johnson.)

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:35 pm
Burning Godzilla

It's a b-movie unfolding before our eyes - part crass sex comedy, part horror slasher, part overheated melodrama, a dollop of Sextette (The Donald is younger than Mae West, Melania is little older than Timothy Dalton), a hint of Cannon/Golan Globus, and perhaps even some elements of Dragonball anime wherein The Donald and Putin spend two years flexing their power to Super Saiyan levels.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

supersonic man wrote:
Well, I was completely wrong.

Yeah, this is the first election since.... ever that I have called completely wrong. I guess I misunderstood the level of frustration out there, and I was the one living in a bubble of cognitive dissonance the whole time.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:45 pm
Burning Godzilla

Don't just chalk it up to frustrated voters. Remember that this is also the first presidential election in decades with the Voting Rights Act disabled, and there have been extensive shenanigans with voter suppression, such as removing people's names from the registration list just because they have the same first and last name as a felon who lives on the other side of the country. Between that and some dubious counting incidents, there are at least two swing states I know of, maybe three or four, that probably ought to get an investigative recount a la Bush v Gore, though I doubt they will. I hope so, though, because the 538 electors don't actually pick the president until December.

This is the third time in as many presidencies where the difference between a free and fair election, and what we actually got, may well have changed the electoral college outcome. We need to get out of the habit of declaring an instant victor on election night, and routinely go over any close election in the weeks after. But of course, the winning side never wants that to happen. The people should have an absolute nonpartisan interest in maintaining fair and valid voting, but usually the parties just want to win.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I can't pretend to have any deep insights about whatever just happened, but as always, we can't chalk it up to "just one" thing. The games the political parties play (and the fact that one party has been so much better at that game for the past 5 years or so) to win elections is part of it, and that definitely includes getting systems in place to disproportionately favor "your" people over "their" people. Upswell of nationalism and racism is part of the story too, although I desperately hope that it was a more minor one.

The narrative about our divided country is real, though. The cities and people who spend time in the cities are one world, the rural counties and small towns are another world, and there's not really all that much communication between the two echo chambers. Can we really deny that the political media is a creature of urban America that doesn't entirely understand rural America?

I'm fascinated by this long article which was published about two weeks before the election (from our elitist media standpoint, obviously). It gives one explanation of this pseudo-populist revolution, recognizes that it was brewing, and gives one perspective on how the Republicans have captured the working-class vote in recent decades. Even if some of DNC leadership didn't see it coming, Clinton did, but wasn't able to adjust.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... ist-revolt

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:54 pm
Burning Godzilla

Benjamin wrote:
I can't pretend to have any deep insights about whatever just happened, but as always, we can't chalk it up to "just one" thing. The games the political parties play (and the fact that one party has been so much better at that game for the past 5 years or so) to win elections is part of it, and that definitely includes getting systems in place to disproportionately favor "your" people over "their" people. Upswell of nationalism and racism is part of the story too, although I desperately hope that it was a more minor one.

The narrative about our divided country is real, though. The cities and people who spend time in the cities are one world, the rural counties and small towns are another world, and there's not really all that much communication between the two echo chambers. Can we really deny that the political media is a creature of urban America that doesn't entirely understand rural America?

I'm fascinated by this long article which was published about two weeks before the election (from our elitist media standpoint, obviously). It gives one explanation of this pseudo-populist revolution, recognizes that it was brewing, and gives one perspective on how the Republicans have captured the working-class vote in recent decades. Even if some of DNC leadership didn't see it coming, Clinton did, but wasn't able to adjust.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... ist-revolt

I read a Time magazine article a few years ago about how the working class turned away from the left... and it was so incredibly patronizing that it alone, more than any of the arguments in it, made it clear what had happened. (Basically, it amounted to, "We have to pretend to be idiots so that these morons come back to us".)

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:27 pm
Burning Godzilla

We bought a used Smart car a couple of days ago. A rougher ride than the Honda Civic, but nice to have a small vehicle in these SUV-dominated says.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The extreme drought in this part of the country exhausted the storage tanks for our rainwater collection system. We got a guy from Nashville to try to bring us a truck full of water, but he couldn't get up our steep, narrow, twisting driveway. I hope we can get him to use a smaller vehicle and try again.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:00 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Looks like I've got the play list and label jokes locked down for the B Fest 2017 mix discs. Now I just need to burn 250 or so discs, print the labels, attach 'em to the correct discs, and put them in cases in my spare time over the next eight weeks.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:55 am
Destoroyah

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
We bought a used Smart car a couple of days ago. A rougher ride than the Honda Civic, but nice to have a small vehicle in these SUV-dominated says.

I am starting to see them on the local used market in my area, and I am sorely tempted to buy one.

Any other thoughts on it as a around-town car?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:48 pm
Burning Godzilla

Easy E wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:

I am starting to see them on the local used market in my area, and I am sorely tempted to buy one.

Any other thoughts on it as a around-town car?

Very good on gasoline use. Enough room behind the two passenger seats for, say, a couple of bags of groceries. Has all the stuff I might need -- automatic transmission, radio, air/heat, cruise control. I have been able to drive it at 70 mph on the freeway, and to climb up our steep, winding driveway at home. Practical car, not flashy.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:08 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Question of opinion: I'm doing my countdown to 200 Japanese movies watched (as I did with 500 Chinese movies watched this year), and as I number the movies I've seen thus far, a doubt has arisen: Do/should OVAs (Original Video Animations) count as movies on the list? You know, those anime films that are told in 40-50 minute vídeos, or over the course of 2-3 volumes of 40-50 vídeos?

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:56 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

I'd say some of them do count as movies. Some OVAs were planned for a theatrical release but the deal fell through. Some OVAs ended up getting a theatrical release in the west. Some OVAs get recut into theatrical movies (Macross Plus comes to mind). Some were originally planned as TV shows. Some are just cross-promotional items/extras made just to give fans another expensive thing to buy, or pilots made to test the waters for a full series.

It's all really fluid, and I don't think anyone should give you much guff over your judgement. I would personally just take things into like run-time and if it's broken into episodes, how "serialized" the story feels.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:34 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
I'd say some of them do count as movies. Some OVAs were planned for a theatrical release but the deal fell through. Some OVAs ended up getting a theatrical release in the west. Some OVAs get recut into theatrical movies (Macross Plus comes to mind). Some were originally planned as TV shows. Some are just cross-promotional items/extras made just to give fans another expensive thing to buy, or pilots made to test the waters for a full series.

It's all really fluid, and I don't think anyone should give you much guff over your judgement. I would personally just take things into like run-time and if it's broken into episodes, how "serialized" the story feels.

Thanks! I ended up only ousting Ayane's High Kick from the list. I'll create a post with my list, so you all can give me some suggestions.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next