Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Decline of this Forum 
Godzilla

Going through the back posts to this forum, its clear that there used to be a lot more folks on this forum than there are now. One of the moderators, Marlowe, seems to be missing. Although this seems to be the trend elsewhere on the Internet, this seems kind of strange since this is a forum with a very well informed group of folks.

Up until yesterday when I was at the McHenry County College Library, this seemed like a mystery. I got on a computer and couldn't remember the URL, so I typed in the forum's name and got this listing from Google;

Board index - ProphpBB
bmmb.prophpbb.com/
You have been permanently banned from this board. Please contact the Board Administrator for more information. A ban has been issued on your username.

After I got home, I tried it out and got the exact same listing from Google.

Questions: Is this the way that the webmaster has set this forum up or is there some other reason for the way that this forum is listed on Google?
Could this listing be the reason for this forum's failure to add new blood?

Last edited by Fornax on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Well, I think there are numerous reasons involved.

Some people just simply had life get in the way. There's no getting around that. They had to cut out some superfluous things to make time for other commitments, and the Board was among the first to go.

Second, I think some just grew tired of the board, or maybe the arguments/discussions that seemed more repetitive than constructive.

In my observations, it was a few months after the release of the first Avengers film that things really began to slow down. Up until then, we were going quite Strong. But that's just me.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Up until yesterday when I was at the McHenry County College Library, this seemed like a mystery. I got on a computer and couldn't remember the URL, so I typed in the forum's name and got this listing from Google;

Board index - ProphpBB
bmmb.prophpbb.com/
You have been permanently banned from this board. Please contact the Board Administrator for more information. A ban has been issued on your username.

Questions: Is this the way that the webmaster has set this forum up or is there some other reason for the way that this forum is listed on Google?

Okay, that's bizarre. I get the same thing. Link to the site, and below it the ban notification as the line of sample text. No idea what that's about, but thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. I think TelstarMan is handling the techie side of things now. I'll make sure he sees this, and if he can't figure out what's causing it, maybe Chris and Scott from Stomp Tokyo (whose e-mail I should still have around here somewhere) can offer some insight.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

I think other Social Media methods such as Blogging, Facebook, Tweetting are simply replacing Message Boards. Message Boards are the old fashion way of doing Social Media now. Therefore, we probably won't get a lot of new registrations or even continued activity from old users.

That and the board can be a bit tough to find if you aren't a regular.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:25 pm
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Fornax wrote:

Board index - ProphpBB
bmmb.prophpbb.com/

Okay, that's bizarre. I get the same thing. Link to the site, and below it the ban notification as the line of sample text. No idea what that's about, but thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. I think TelstarMan is handling the techie side of things now. I'll make sure he sees this, and if he can't figure out what's causing it, maybe Chris and Scott from Stomp Tokyo (whose e-mail I should still have around here somewhere) can offer some insight.

I'm afraid I'm not in charge of anything, tech-side or otherwise.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie talk about A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, the Farsi-language vampire movie set in Iran and filmed in Bakersfield, California. SPOILER: They liked it.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:47 pm
Burning Godzilla

That's odd. I thought you had volunteered to be the mod.

Same thing happened to me. I wonder if this happened when we tried to control for the influx of ad 'bots.

For a little while I wondered if I might prefer social media over message boards until social media became this many-headed hydra of misinformation, propaganda, and neighbors in my hometown that I honestly don't want to keep up with. Too damn many people nosing into my business with too widespread an interest. And some just plainly do not share my interests.

One of the best decisions I ever made recently was ejecting all social media platforms from my smart phone, particularly Facebook. Less pinging, less histrionics, better sense that the world is not made up of ridiculous people and a-holes, more apps that put me in touch only with those individuals with whom I want to connect.

Like the BMMB, where we can talk at length about those things I enjoy and we confine the histrionics - and the ad shills and everything else - to kinda sorta single subject debates and talks. And I still trust the movie opinions expressed on this board more than every wanna-be critic on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.

There's a small town atmosphere here - or maybe its like going to Cheers where everybody knows your name and you're glad that they came - that I find far more appealing the Facebook. Never cared much for Twitter at all. I keep contact with my hostdaughters in Whatsapp and we share pics on Instagram. But the rest of social media can go right to farging hell, as far as I'm concerned.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Not that I know much about this, but I sent a "contact" request to prophpbb to see what we can do to change that text in the listing. Thanks for discovering that Fornax.

Of further interest, I conducted the same search on BING. Did not come up with the same listing. In fact, we were pretty deep down in the list for a board that is named b-movie message board.

However, one of the links said this:
Quote:
The B-Movie Message Board
Charles Rector's Weblog; Oct. 19, 2015; By Charles Rector
Type: Commentary

The B-Movie Message Board is possibly the best online community devoted to the discussion of B-Movies aka low budget flicks.

That was just darn nice.

Another weird thing. Apparently we have a MySpace location

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Bergerjacques wrote:
But the rest of social media can go right to farging hell, as far as I'm concerned.

Good news everyone! it is all ready there!

I agree. I much prefer message boards with shared common interests. That's why I am here. However, if I was a younger sort, I would probably feel differently. If I was too much older, I probably wouldn't be using a message board either.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

I feel like social media is paradoxically undermining the ability of the average person with something to say to be heard online. People end up paying attention only to their own existing circle of friends and family, and only by "going viral", or being promoted by some curated click-bait site, will an outside voice break into the discussion, and even then only when the people in that circle already agree with it.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Heh. The Prophpbb people responded. Somewhere along the way, this board must have "banned" the Google 'bot, which he thinks may account for the message.

I have mixed feelings.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Well, that whole "banned" thing lead me to believe that I could not get to this site for something like two years, until I finally figured out how to rest my password. (A computer genius I am not.) From what little I have seen of Facebook, it doesn't seem at all interesting to me. I much prefer a forum like this one, although they seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:07 pm
Godzilla

Message boards (and Usenet, if anyone still remembers that) are a good forum for long-winded pontification; plenty of time to type something up at one's leisure. I don't have strong opinions about the inherent goodness or evil of the the more real-time platforms Kids These Days are using (I don't either, but we're a bit of an anomaly), but I guess my hope is that Twitter et al can get on with just replacing other instant-gratification things like chatrooms and instant messages, and that forums/message boards can keep hold of some little corner of the Internets.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:51 pm
Burning Godzilla

Oh Marlowe isn't missing, we all know where he is, writing reviews at avclub.com, making that fat Walking Dead money. I kid though, I miss him but wish him well! He's truly living the dream.

I really love this board. I don't think I've really wrote that out loud before. It's probably been the safest place on the internet for me. I am kind of bummed about how quiet it's gotten, there are lots of people who used to be here that I really miss (miss A LOT more than Marlowe. Again, kidding!). But even those who've stuck around have all been so smart and nice and funny ( a LOT more than me. Half kidding!). Coming around here is still a great experience, I don't imagine I'll be quitting anytime soon.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:29 am
Profile YIM
Lawgiver

Quote:
Somewhere along the way, this board must have "banned" the Google 'bot, which he thinks may account for the message.

I don’t recall ever having done that, but anything’s possible. Did the support people offer any solutions?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Re: activity... keep in mind this community (and by that I mean the vast majority of the members) has been going for 15+ years. That's ancient! We're more a family of adult cousins hanging out in the rec room during the big family Thanksgiving get-together than crazed One Direction fans hopping up and down together in a stadium.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next