Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Decline of this Forum 
Burning Godzilla

stomptokyo wrote:
Quote:
Somewhere along the way, this board must have "banned" the Google 'bot, which he thinks may account for the message.

I don’t recall ever having done that, but anything’s possible. Did the support people offer any solutions?

He said to contact the guy who set it up.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Icrywolf wrote:
Re: activity... keep in mind this community (and by that I mean the vast majority of the members) has been going for 15+ years. That's ancient! We're more a family of adult cousins hanging out in the rec room during the big family Thanksgiving get-together than crazed One Direction fans hopping up and down together in a stadium.

We also know our comments so well, often we just think about posting and most members understand what we intended to say....

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
That's odd. I thought you had volunteered to be the mod.

Same thing happened to me. I wonder if this happened when we tried to control for the influx of ad 'bots.

For a little while I wondered if I might prefer social media over message boards until social media became this many-headed hydra of misinformation, propaganda, and neighbors in my hometown that I honestly don't want to keep up with. Too damn many people nosing into my business with too widespread an interest. And some just plainly do not share my interests.

One of the best decisions I ever made recently was ejecting all social media platforms from my smart phone, particularly Facebook. Less pinging, less histrionics, better sense that the world is not made up of ridiculous people and a-holes, more apps that put me in touch only with those individuals with whom I want to connect.

Like the BMMB, where we can talk at length about those things I enjoy and we confine the histrionics - and the ad shills and everything else - to kinda sorta single subject debates and talks. And I still trust the movie opinions expressed on this board more than every wanna-be critic on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.

There's a small town atmosphere here - or maybe its like going to Cheers where everybody knows your name and you're glad that they came - that I find far more appealing the Facebook. Never cared much for Twitter at all. I keep contact with my hostdaughters in Whatsapp and we share pics on Instagram. But the rest of social media can go right to farging hell, as far as I'm concerned.

I understand where you're coming from. Still there are those who feel that low participation on a forum like this are symptoms of a lack of engagement. We have lost a few people over the past year or so, they just vanished.

For my part I use forums for 'serious' interest based discussion and social media for casual interaction with friends. If we ever wanted to actually 'grow the board,' something like Facebook would make it pretty easy. Set up a fan page, use it to promote the board, drive new members here. Pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Charnelhouse on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:58 pm
Burning Godzilla

That might be worth doing.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Just looked it up on search.yahoo.com and found the following:

bmmb.prophpbb.com
bmmb.prophpbb.com/faq.php
We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.

That's pretty interesting since I've seen the Yahoo! bot listed as being a member perusing the board.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

For me, when I got my blog for my reviews, there wasn't a huge reason to be here, since that's mainly what I did back in the heyday. Of course, I have hung around here, and am constantly lurking.

That, and I'm trying to write a fiction piece so I can convince myself I can do real writing...something I have struggled with for a long time. I'd like to be able to make a little bit of money off of something I write someday. Obviously not "Stephen King" money, but hey, this check came from a publisher money.

Been going through a lot of personal things in my life the past six years (a terrible break up of a relationship of 10 years, some bouts with depression, wanting to do something different with my life, but not sure what, the usual mopey crap), but really just want to start writing seriously again outside of reviews.

"By Milk Kitchen (is no dead)" - The last thing one sees while watching "Sawai Miyuu's You".

"Home is definitely where the heart is. Along with some spleen. And a little chunk of liver in the hall." Tagline for Silent Hill 4: The Room

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:56 am
Godzilla

Here's the best way to judge the health of this forum:

It says that I'm the newest member here and I signed up 2 months ago. That's not good.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Today this isn't so much a forum as it is a place that old friends hang out. I'm cool with that.

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Seconded!

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Although I certainly miss the good old days when I could check for replies on this board every few minutes or so, I am still very fond of it as a place of witty and intelligent conversation.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:50 pm
Burning Godzilla

Yeah. At the same time, it's nice to have somebody wanting to inject some new vitality into the old homestead.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I think a marketing campaign of some sort to bring in some fresh blood would be a great idea. We have tossed around a lot of idea over the years but I'm not sure what came of most of them.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Lawgiver

In years past I’ve promoted the board at B-Fest -- there were little 1-inch buttons, the URL was on the cups that got printed up, some years the board got its own sponsorship slide etc etc. I also mention the board in one or two of the B-Fest updates each year.

I think B-Fest is a perfect spot to recruit new folks, but you have to do it in an organized and friendly way, and then make it inescapable at the fest.

I get a sponsorship slot each year in exchange for maintaining the B-Fest web site and email list. I'd be happy to donate that slot to the BMMB this year. The rest would be up to you guys.

I’ll look into the Google banned user problem, but sheesh, I kinda wish prophpbb were a little more uh, supportive with their support. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we paying customers?

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Lawgiver

OK, I poked around and found a list of banned IP addresses, which I guess I added at some point to reduce spam. Since that doesn’t seem to be much of a problem anymore I un-banned them, hopefully that will fix the google problem. Eventually.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Here's the best way to judge the health of this forum:

It says that I'm the newest member here and I signed up 2 months ago. That's not good.

And how old is the second newest? A year or two?

.........Among visibly active users, I guess that would be westlondon_boy, and yeah, it's been over a year.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next