Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Movie Gift-Giving Ideas 
Burning Godzilla

OK, I have someone in mind who's not B-minded, not that much, but who is hoping for movies about how rock 'n' roll can solve any problem. He already has Wild Zero and I have Six-String Samurai warming up in the bullpen, but are there other titles people can suggest? I haven't seen all that many movies in this subgenre.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
OK, I have someone in mind who's not B-minded, not that much, but who is hoping for movies about how rock 'n' roll can solve any problem. He already has Wild Zero and I have Six-String Samurai warming up in the bullpen, but are there other titles people can suggest? I haven't seen all that many movies in this subgenre.

Rock & Roll High School, maybe?

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:41 pm
Burning Godzilla

Miami Connection certainly features some lengthy rock performances. While it might not save the day, rock and roll certainly defines the members of Dragon Sound as much as their proficiency in Tae Kwon Do does.

And while my memories of it are hazy, doesn't Ralph Bakshi's Rock & Rule have a plot where Rock (or some form of it) saves the day?

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I have two nephews who are both active in theater performance. Ideas?

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
Miami Connection certainly features some lengthy rock performances. While it might not save the day, rock and roll certainly defines the members of Dragon Sound as much as their proficiency in Tae Kwon Do does.

And while my memories of it are hazy, doesn't Ralph Bakshi's Rock & Rule have a plot where Rock (or some form of it) saves the day?

It's not Bakshi, but it is about Rock n Roll saving the day. Fair to middling story - with an irritating voice performance by Paul Le Mat - but it is given a lift by the evil character, Mok, who's public appearance is a cross between Mick Jagger and David Bowie, his hidden appearance is early 70s Iggy Pop, and he mostly sings with Lou Reed's voice. And Debbie Harry's pop voice is very good. Wish it had been heavier metal to save the world - it's a fairly benign pop song.

The star is the excellent music score with Debby Harry, Lou Reed and Cheap Trick among others.

I also recommend Ralph Bakshi's American Pop which chronicles the development of pop music through a family that hands down music over generations. By far his best use of rotoscoping and the soundtrack is pretty amazing.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
KO Rob wrote:

It's not Bakshi, but it is about Rock n Roll saving the day. Fair to middling story - with an irritating voice performance by Paul Le Mat - but it is given a lift by the evil character, Mok, who's public appearance is a cross between Mick Jagger and David Bowie, his hidden appearance is early 70s Iggy Pop, and he mostly sings with Lou Reed's voice. And Debbie Harry's pop voice is very good. Wish it had been heavier metal to save the world - it's a fairly benign pop song.

The star is the excellent music score with Debby Harry, Lou Reed and Cheap Trick among others.

I also recommend Ralph Bakshi's American Pop which chronicles the development of pop music through a family that hands down music over generations. By far his best use of rotoscoping and the soundtrack is pretty amazing.

I would have bet money Bakshi was involved in it! My bad. I remember Mok very well. I remember it being borderline inappropriate for kids, even though it was animated. A lot of near nudity, it that usual 80's PG way (which is probably why I thought Bakshi was involved).

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

I would have bet money Bakshi was involved in it! My bad. I remember Mok very well. I remember it being borderline inappropriate for kids, even though it was animated. A lot of near nudity, it that usual 80's PG way (which is probably why I thought Bakshi was involved).

Bakshi inspired its look. The movie was the first product of the Canadian animation company, Nelvana. Their main claim to fame - The Care Bears - but I am a fan of their half-hour special, The Devil and Daniel Mouse. But Star Wars nerds revere them because George Lucas commissioned them to do the animation bits for The Star Wars Holiday Special which apparently featured the debut of a certain bounty hunter, Boba Fett. They were also the animation company to produce the Saturday morning animated series: Droids and Ewoks.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
I remember it being borderline inappropriate for kids, even though it was animated.

I distinctly recall getting freaked right out by Whatsherface, the hideously disfigured mistress of disguise whom Mok hires to break up the central couple so that he can have the girl all to himself. And I was not an easy kid to freak out. Of course, that ended up meaning I loved Rock and Rule all the more...

Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

I can't recall exactly, but doesn't The Apple somehow have music saving the world at the end? Orr was that a Not-Jesus? I just can;t recall 100%.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:27 pm
Burning Godzilla

I don't know if it's in print anymore but there's the anime film Interstella 5555. It's about an alien rock-band who gets kidnapped by an evil mogul and transformed/brain-washed to be human celebrities on earth. I think there's something about a deal with the devil by sacrificing gold records.

So it's kind of like Rock n Rule with character designs by Leiji Matsumoto (Galaxy Express 999) and no dialogue. Rather, the movie's whole audio is set to Daft Punk's Discovery.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:33 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:

The obvious choice in my own mind is Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. :twisted:

Oh, or what about House of Seven Corpses?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:

Yes. Stage Fright, the slasher movie musical about teenagers at a musical theater summer camp. It's Glee meets Phantom of the Opera meets Sleepaway Camp.

Less tongue-in-cheek: both versions of the movie Fame with preference given to the Alan Parker version of the movie.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:

You know what actually doesn't suck, suprisingly, Cliffie? Josie and the Pussycats.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

You know what actually doesn't suck, suprisingly, Cliffie? Josie and the Pussycats.

Why would you say that when you know that pussy cats eat fish?

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Why would you say that when you know that pussy cats eat fish?

Hush you .... :wink:

See Cliffie. Nize pussycats want to sing for you.....

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next