Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
A Question for the Group. 
Godzilla

If there can be a movie about giant bunny rabbits, then why not a movie about giant squirrels? You would think that with all their energy and scampering around, a giant squirrel would be far more destructive and hence terrifying than a giant passive rabbit.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hmmm. Sounds OK to me. The way that squirrels hop around trees, maybe you could set it among the giant redwoods.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:22 pm
Burning Godzilla

People would have to invent the 3D Maneuvering gear from Attack On Titan to chase them.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

They could start taking over skyscrapers, kicking out the windows and stuffing the offices and apartments with trees to keep warm through the winter. The fuss would be minimal, really, until whatever they ate to make them giant got into the Purina Porcupine Chow...

The movie could have an all-star cast, like The Towering Inferno.

Another twist: Kaiju version of the giant FLYING squirrel.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
If there can be a movie about giant bunny rabbits, then why not a movie about giant squirrels?

If you'll settle temporarily for a movie with a giant squirrel in it, allow me to direct your attention toward The 3 Worlds of Gulliver. It's not a very good film, but it does briefly feature a giant squirrel-- and a giant squirrel animated by Ray Harryhausen, at that.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I've always thought of squirrels as gussied up, more outdoorsy rats. Suburban, health food eating rats. So I'm picturing something along the lines of Of Unknown Origin (1983) but with Peter Weller getting harassed during his daily jog or hike.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
I've always thought of squirrels as gussied up, more outdoorsy rats. Suburban, health food eating rats. So I'm picturing something along the lines of Of Unknown Origin (1983) but with Peter Weller getting harassed during his daily jog or hike.

As a person who grew up next to a virtual fountain of rats, I've always thought of them as "night squirrels" -- the squirrels go to sleep and the rats wake up.

Or maybe the squirrels just take off their tail wigs to enjoy the nightlife unencumbered.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I was reading up on squirrel lore a few months ago, and they're less like rats than we suppose. They breed much less prolifically and take much better care not to overload the carrying capacity of their environment.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
I was reading up on squirrel lore a few months ago, and they're less like rats than we suppose. They breed much less prolifically and take much better care not to overload the carrying capacity of their environment.

And they literally live 10x as long. A cossetted pet rat with a great veterinarian lives about 3 years. A squirrel in the wild lives about 30.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
A squirrel in the wild lives about 30.

Wait-- really? That long?

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Quick research reveals a very large range of answers to this question, depending on the species and whether we're talking about the wild or in captivity. As a very rough average, from what little I have seen, it would see to be something less than ten years in the wild (with a heavy death rate during the first few years) and up to twenty years in captivity.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:30 pm
Burning Godzilla

We must be using different sources. Or maybe the squirrels in my study were taking Herbalife supplements... 8)

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

http://www.marinij.com/environment-and- ... -in-novato

How do they know that its the same one instead of a squirrel conspiracy?

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Sounds like that squirrel is nuts.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I Like Squirrels

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:42 pm