Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
The Visit (2015) 
Godzilla

The Visit (2015)

The Visit is an unusually good movie by M. Night Shyamalan. It is also an original idea, at least by Hollywood standards. It is a film that is both creepy and funny at the same time. There is hardly any boring parts in this flick as it holds your attention for its 94 minute duration. In terms of humor, the best part is during the closing credits that you ought to stick around for. This not an especially scary flick, but the creepiness makes up for that. Despite the fact that there is no big name acting talent in this movie, it is very well acted.

The Visit is about a gal (Kathryn Hahn) who fell in love with one of her high school teachers and married him against her parents' wishes. This led to a state of estrangement between the gal and her parents. Her husband grew bored of her, and despite having two kids, dumped her for another floozy. Meanwhile, her parents tracked her down and asked her to send her kids to them so they could see their grandchildren, something that they had never done before. Since the gal was going to go on a cruise ship with her new boyfriend, she accedes to their wishes.

The two kids, Rebecca (Olivia DeJonge) and Tyler (Ed Oxenbould) are both up to their necks in computer and Internet technology. They both want to make it big in the entertainment industry when they grow up and to that end they want to make a documentary about their visit to the grandparents.

At first when the kids arrive at their granparents' place, all seems well. However, both of the grandparents start acting strangely. The kids become frightened so much so that they lock the door to their room at night.

Modern day technology pervades this film. The kids complain about not being able to get a cellphone signal. The kids use Skype to communicate with their mother. They also watch a video she sends them and they do other things online. They also use a camera to record some of the odd things happening at the house.

There are some funny moments in this film, especially concerning the grandmother who the kids call "Nana." The kids also call the grandfather "Pop-Pop." There is also a running gag concerning some of the bit players in the movie.

As the movie progresses, so does the mystery of why the grandparents behave so oddly. Not to mention visitors to the house who are also a bit strange themselves.

The Visit is one of the rare movies in which the trailer makes the movie seem worse than what it really is. Usually trailers make movies seem more interesting than what they really are like.

The Visit is funny and provides great escapist entertainment.

The Visit is also notable for the fact that its closing credits are pretty interesting and well worth watching.

All in all, The Visit is a movie that is well worth your time and money.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I keep hearing good things about this one...

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

We always knew M. Nightie could make a good movie again -- it was just a question of if he would ever want to.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
We always knew M. Nightie could make a good movie again -- it was just a question of if he would ever want to.

Now, if only John Carpenter could get his momentum back...

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
supersonic man wrote:

He hasn't made a really good movie since The Thing back in 1982.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
supersonic man wrote:

He hasn't made a really good movie since The Thing back in 1982.

Ummmm...what about Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness?

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

They Live was just plain horrible and idiotic. Those other movies you mentioned were just mediocre.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
They Live was just plain horrible and idiotic. Those other movies you mentioned were just mediocre.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do feel he's been going downhill ever since The Thing.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Actually, I should have said excellent instead of really good. Really good means above average while excellent means the pinnacle of cinematic success. There is no doubt that both Halloween and The Thing--aka one of the few remakes to be far superior to the original--are at the height of cinema wonderfulness.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Finally got around to The Visit this week. Great movie, although it was a little too much like going to work. I'm now telling everyone in my department that it's just like working with one of our client families...NONE of them has seen it.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]