Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Thing 
Burning Godzilla

OK, I just saw the prequel to Carpenter's remake again and I'm trying to think this through. I was glad to see the Thing included at Kaijumatic, especially after glimpsing the cockroach-crab shape of the survivor of the wrecked spaceship. Crab or cockroach, that was pretty dang large.

But here's my string of questions:

>> Is the ship normally operated by Things, or did it crash because it was infested with Things?

>> If the ship was built by Things, is this really the kind of ship you would expect them to be running? Weren't the proportions more, you know, human-friendly?

>> How is it that the ship -- burned out of the ice with thermite in Carpenter's movie -- burned itself out of the ice in this one?

Discuss?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

Man, I was not happy with this movie, 30 years go by and they somehow manage to make this piece of crap.

I think the Thing has to be a bioweapon of some sort from the ship design. I don't see why the Thing would opt to be huge in space travel (as the corridors in that ship were), it would be much more efficient to be smaller, right?

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:42 am
Burning Godzilla

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Man, I was not happy with this movie, 30 years go by and they somehow manage to make this piece of crap.

I think the Thing has to be a bioweapon of some sort from the ship design. I don't see why the Thing would opt to be huge in space travel (as the corridors in that ship were), it would be much more efficient to be smaller, right?

A bioweapon made by the ship's builders, or used against them?

And since it can split into autonomous pieces, I don't see the point of being one huge guy when you can be a whole crew.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I just hate the idea of The Thing being a bio-weapon. I hate the fundamental idea that The Thing needs any more explanation except that it's the Thing. Same for Alien. Same for Maleficent. Same for Darth monkeywrench Vader. Rant OFF.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Been awhile since I last saw it but wasn't Blair found making a rinky-dink ship out scraps after he got infected?

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

That bit was definitely in the original Campbell story.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

Bergerjacques wrote:
I just hate the idea of The Thing being a bio-weapon. I hate the fundamental idea that The Thing needs any more explanation except that it's the Thing. Same for Alien. Same for Maleficent. Same for Darth monkeywrench Vader. Rant OFF.

We need a Thing prequel that explains why it's so cranky! Maybe a little segment about its family life and how it was abused by its father.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 am
Burning Godzilla

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

We need a Thing prequel that explains why it's so cranky! Maybe a little segment about its family life and how it was abused by its father.

The prequel should have discovered that The Thing is actually Gloop of The Herculoids fame. In an untold back story, Gloop's offspring, Gleep, is killed by radiation exposure from Voyager II which crash landed on the Herculoids planet years and years before. Making off with a flying saucer against the wishes of Zandor, the Herculoids leader reluctantly gives the order for the craft to be destroyed. Zonk, the laser-shooting dragon, damages the ship, but not enough to prevent the vengeance-minded blob of indestructible and sentient protoplasm from making it to Earth and crash-landing in Antarctica.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
Been awhile since I last saw it but wasn't Blair found making a rinky-dink ship out scraps after he got infected?

Yes, which suggests to me that the Thing is not a bioweapon but the driver of the original ship. He knows not only how to fly it, but how to build a new one. Out of old generator parts he found in a basement in Antarctica. I couldn't do it if you paid me.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

However, if the Thing can take on not only the form but also the memories/experiences of whatever it infects, that means it could operate anything as long as it made contact with the right host. Looking at it this way I think that the possibilities of it being either the ships original pilot, a criminal, a bio-weapon, or just a stowaway are all equally viable.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:21 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

Yes, which suggests to me that the Thing is not a bioweapon but the driver of the original ship. He knows not only how to fly it, but how to build a new one. Out of old generator parts he found in a basement in Antarctica. I couldn't do it if you paid me.

That's because you're not a Thing, Cliffie.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I think they need to make a prequel that shows John Carpenter's The Thing was a spin-off from The Cat in the Hat, and that the creature in the ship was Thing Three and was fleeing the Cat when he crashed.

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mothra

Bergerjacques wrote:
Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

The prequel should have discovered that The Thing is actually Gloop of The Herculoids fame. In an untold back story, Gloop's offspring, Gleep, is killed by radiation exposure from Voyager II which crash landed on the Herculoids planet years and years before. Making off with a flying saucer against the wishes of Zandor, the Herculoids leader reluctantly gives the order for the craft to be destroyed. Zonk, the laser-shooting dragon, damages the ship, but not enough to prevent the vengeance-minded blob of indestructible and sentient protoplasm from making it to Earth and crash-landing in Antarctica.

Brilliant! That's much better than my "Slingblade" origin, you win!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:23 am
Mothra

Cliffie wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

Cliffie, that only supports my bioweapon theory.

Of course it can drive the ship and make a new one. It ate the pilots and engineers!

Oddly, it can also roller skate.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:24 am
Burning Godzilla

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Cliffie, that only supports my bioweapon theory.

Of course it can drive the ship and make a new one. It ate the pilots and engineers!

Oddly, it can also roller skate.

How can you be smart enough to manage interstellar travel and dumb enough to create a bioweapon that can eat you, then drive away in your spaceship?

Last edited by Cliffie on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next