Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Thing 
Destoroyah

Bergerjacques wrote:
I just hate the idea of The Thing being a bio-weapon. I hate the fundamental idea that The Thing needs any more explanation except that it's the Thing. Same for Alien. Same for Maleficent. Same for Darth monkeywrench Vader. Rant OFF.

I agree. As much as I like backstory to explain the origin of the beastie, when it come to The Thing and Alien, can't we just accept the fact that this is the path evolution took on their respective planets?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:51 pm
Mothra

Snurt64 wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:
I just hate the idea of The Thing being a bio-weapon. I hate the fundamental idea that The Thing needs any more explanation except that it's the Thing. Same for Alien. Same for Maleficent. Same for Darth monkeywrench Vader. Rant OFF.

I agree. As much as I like backstory to explain the origin of the beastie, when it come to The Thing and Alien, can't we just accept the fact that this is the path evolution took on their respective planets?

No! That's no fun. Evolution doesn't make super aliens that lay eggs in species they've never encountered before.

I don't think the Thing was a bioweapon employed or carried by the alien craft purposefully. I suspect they were victims of it.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 pm
Burning Godzilla

A bioweapon that can go on a joyride in a stolen spaceship and crash it into the side of Antarctica is nothing to fool with.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
A bioweapon that can go on a joyride in a stolen spaceship and crash it into the side of Antarctica is nothing to fool with.

Lucky there was no one around to poke it with a stick.

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mothra

This is a short story written from the Thing's perspective, enjoy!

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:48 am
Burning Godzilla

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
I think the Thing has to be a bioweapon of some sort from the ship design. I don't see why the Thing would opt to be huge in space travel (as the corridors in that ship were), it would be much more efficient to be smaller, right?

On sober reflection, I really wonder. Not knowing my Thing psychology very well, I can see where there might possibly be reasons to keep your options open regarding size. You would definitely want to be the right size to reach both the pedals and steering wheel on the ship once you'd eaten some chopper pilots, fixed the broken fan belt and were ready to leave. But breaking into smaller pieces -- aside from your burning social needs and the occasional necessity of getting your best shooter marble out of the sink trap in your stateroom -- might become too much of a good thing. And maybe as you get hungrier, you get smaller. Maybe you eat each other. There are SO many possibilities.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

We need a Thing prequel that explains why it's so cranky! Maybe a little segment about its family life and how it was abused by its father.

Could it be the fact that the featherless bipeds in the story keep coming after it with blowtorches?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

You think about the events of the Howard Hawks movie/or the Norwegians - depending on the movie. They discover your ship buried in the ice and the first thing they do is blow it up. Don't even think that maybe, just maybe, a Thing's concept of vacation and relaxation is to bury itself in a polar ice cap for an extended period of time. Probably had a mate Thing down there with it and had pulled some kind of "We're stuck in the ice. Could be awhile. Why don't we make ourselves more comfortable. Here, I'm a bearskin rug. Lay on me."
Then BAM!, your ship is depth-bombed, then these ugly bipedal hairless apes toy with you by running a chainsaw around the length of your body. Then they just take you right out of the block of ice - YOUR PERSONAL COMFORT ZONE - and then shoot fire at you. Did they think that was funny?!
I'll show those bastards funny!!

Then when all your trying to do is build a new ship to get off this stupid rock with its aggressive killer species that shouldn't really be living on these ice caps to begin with, and they blow that up too! Now its clear. This isn't a joke. These creatures are actually trying to kill you!! What did you do to them, except be different. And if you try to fit in somehow, take on their form to show you mean no harm, they tie you to a couch and threaten to torture you with a hot iron. Don't they know how much that hurts!?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

They do know, BJ, and they go ahead and blowtorch the poor creature anyway. Which sort of proves the Thing's point about kicking all their butts.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

Cliffie wrote:
Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Cliffie, that only supports my bioweapon theory.

Of course it can drive the ship and make a new one. It ate the pilots and engineers!

Oddly, it can also roller skate.

How can you be smart enough to manage interstellar travel and dumb enough to create a bioweapon that can s=eat you, then drive away in your spaceship?

Standard sci-fi mad scientist problem. They always create something they can't control; even advanced alien civilizations can't stop themselves from going too far.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2