Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Not A Real Kaiju, Ted? 
Burning Godzilla

Ted Turner, self-declared kaiju expert, has stated that Mothra is not a real kaiju because she appears to be an outgrowth of Japanese folklore rather than primarily a city-stompin' horror.

Discuss?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hmmm. Interesting. I don't know, of course, but even the giant statue being known as Daimajin, which is clearly a mythical/fantasy creature, is called a kaiju in the references I find (Wikipedia.)

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Burning Godzilla

I guess I don't see the contradiction between Japanese folklore and kaiju movies. Look at King Seesar, a magic lawn ornament sworn to protect his owners from all threats. How is that not folkloric?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
I guess I don't see the contradiction between Japanese folklore and kaiju movies. Look at King Seesar, a magic lawn ornament sworn to protect his owners from all threats. How is that not folkloric?

Yeah, it literally IS folkloric!

By his opinion and level of hair splitting, we could also discount Ghidorah as being a "true" kaiju as he's based on the legendery Orochi not only in design, but also in mythical origin in at least one continuity. Hell, he's based on a version of Orochi that Toho made a couple of movies out of!

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:36 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Yeah, it literally IS folkloric!

By his opinion and level of hair splitting, we could also discount Ghidorah as being a "true" kaiju as he's based on the legendery Orochi not only in design, but also in mythical origin in at least one continuity. Hell, he's based on a version of Orochi that Toho made a couple of movies out of!

And even there were no Orochi (she said, scribbling a note to watch Orochi the Eight-Headed Dragon sometime this weekend), Ghidrah would hearken back to any number of fabulous golden dragons from the collective unconscious of the Far East.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Maybe we need a clearer definition of kaiju. Is there anything in the definition that excludes creatures of mythology or folklore? Wikipedia doesn't seem to think so: "Kaiju are typically modeled after conventional animals, insects or mythological creatures..."

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:22 pm
Burning Godzilla

How old is the Japanese term "daikaiju" to begin with? Did someone coin the term/phrase to describe the types of monster movies Toho and Daiei studios were putting out in the mid-60s on?

Wikipedia, typically, was no help. But somewhere on the horizon I feel there may yet be some members who could shed some light on this.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
How old is the Japanese term "daikaiju" to begin with?

Well, it literally means just "big monster," so I'm not sure it even makes sense to treat it as a term of art in the original context, the way fans of the movies use it over here.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I think "daikaiju" is just the natural thing you'd say in Japanese if you saw a big monster. Dai 大 means big, kai 怪 means strange or mysterious or wondrous, and jū 獣 means animal.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

I have been brought to task by some in the void for my liberal use of the term "kaiju." I don't see any reason for the word to be restricted to Japanese rubber suit monsters or even Japanese monsters. To me, it's just another word for "monster," though I do immediately think of Godzilla on hearing it.

I don't recall ever hearing the term in a movie to describe a monster until Pacific Rim. I think I picked it up from the Encyclopedia of Monsters by Jeff Rovin?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:22 am
Burning Godzilla

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
I have been brought to task by some in the void for my liberal use of the term "kaiju." I don't see any reason for the word to be restricted to Japanese rubber suit monsters or even Japanese monsters. To me, it's just another word for "monster," though I do immediately think of Godzilla on hearing it.

I don't recall ever hearing the term in a movie to describe a monster until Pacific Rim. I think I picked it up from the Encyclopedia of Monsters by Jeff Rovin?

I don't think so either. I was unaware of the term until I became associated with the folks at this message board. But since then, I have, without receiving backlash, referred to the works of Willis O'Brien, Ray Harryhausen and even the team with Bert I. Gordon etc, etc. as American Kaiju.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I noticed that even when I finally saw the subtitled version of Rodan, when the hero said (dubbed) "Help! There's a monster here!", the word "kaiju" never came up -- in fact the subtitles said something more like "Everyone come quick!" One rather wonders when the word came into everyday use as applied to giant rubber menaces.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

I'm thinking it had to be in the 90s... for monster fans, anyway. I remember Kaiju Battel videos when the internet was still a young lass.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]