Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Rodan: In The Original Japanese 
Burning Godzilla

I have finally gotten around to watching this film, at least 3 years after the disc was urgently recommended to me by a friend who thinks the cleaned-up remix of War of the Gargantuas, included in the set, is the greatest thing since dog pedicures. I am so, so sorry I waited to see this version of Rodan.

Aside from having been remastered so the colors are just a little brighter, the focus just a tiny bit sharper -- the only real change I was led to expect by my friend -- this is a dandy film a notch above the dubbed one I am used to. The subtitles (clear and readable, thank you very much) give you an idea of what the original lines were, for a start. While I get a twinge when my 2 favorite English lines prove to be missing ("He's almost hacked to pieces!" and "Most sickening sight!"), I have to admit that the original dialogue does make more sense. (I always sort of wondered why there wasn't a mark of any kind on the miner who was 'almost hacked to pieces,' for example.) This version makes clear that the newscasters in the different countries, shown seconds apart, are not just reporting things that happened separately and got clumped together a week later to show the global terror. They were shown seconds apart because Rodan buzzed Beijing, Manila and Tokyo seconds apart, and they were all giving you the breaking news on that event as it happened. It doesn't seem this way in the American version at all.

And there's MORE FOOTAGE in this one. More confrontations with the Rodans AND the Meganeuras. More footage of almost everything, as a matter of fact. We get to see the women in the alleyway trying to fend off the grieving widow who thinks Kiyo's brother killed her husband. We see more suspense build-up as Shigeru and his men go into the flooded mineshaft. We get to see what happens right after Shigeru busts a move on the Meganeuras with the coal carts. We see the camera linger on the animal, better allowing us to admire the champing mandibles.

All these years I thought the monster was shot and killed on the coal tip, but it didn't happen that way in this version at all. It was a much more exciting scene in this one. We even get to see more of the scene at Kyushu with the happy couple taking photos, then coming a cropper as Rodan passes by. The American version lets you guess what the investigators found; the original shows you, and it's not at all what the American version implies. Great stuff, Maynard!

Also, this version of the movie doesn't explain everything to death. It's nice to watch a movie that respects its audience.

I will never lose my affection for the American Rodan -- and I am very grateful it is included on this disc -- but this is a kick-butt improvement on the trimmed-back, misinterpreted American cut.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Last edited by Cliffie on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 30, 2015 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
I will never lose my affection for the American Rodan -- and I am very grateful it is included on this disc -- but this is a kick-butt improvement on the trimmed-back, misinterpreted American cut.

Only one thing I like about the American dub over the Japanese and that's Keye Luke's delivery on the narration. It does make the final scenes just a bit more poetic and tragic.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I concur. Entirely.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Welp, I know what I'm watching this weekend. Because I, too, have had it sitting over there for a while, unwatched, which is ridiculous since it has two of my favorite non-Godzilla/non-Gamera giant monster movies on it.

-------------------------------
I should go for a trifecta and FINALLY watch the Dogora movie, too.

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:44 pm
Burning Godzilla

Is there much difference between the scores of the two films?

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:

Rodan and Rodan? I found the original Japanese version much subtler, but I haven't seen the Usual Americanized Version is well over a year and I would have to see them back-to-back to make sure.

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
Hman wrote:

Rodan and Rodan? I found the original Japanese version much subtler, but I haven't seen the Usual Americanized Version is well over a year and I would have to see them back-to-back to make sure.

OK, I went ahead and watched the Americanized version. There is MUCH less incidental music in the Japanese version, along with the reduced voiceovers and subtler script. The English version also added a bunch of Americans taking credit for the whole thing when there was no H-bomb action in the original at all.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]