This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
As the Bookworm Turns (Current Reading Thread) 
Burning Godzilla

About to start Way Station by Clifford D. Simak (1963) -- The oldest Hugo-winning novel which I have not read. After that you have to go to C. J. Cherryh's Downbelow Station (1982.)

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 am
Burning Godzilla

Embarking on another journey through Brazilian and Portuguese literature. Starting with the Brazilian Romanticism classic Lucíola by José de Alencar.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Recommendation to fans of British comedy and audio drama - the new name for radio shows. The seven-show podcast "Hector vs. The Future."
It's somewhat about the rivalry between two museums that are locked in competition over local public funding: The Obsoletium and the Uptodateum. As you can surmise, the one museum celebrates all obsolete technology and the past. The more popular Uptodateum is a museum about constantly trying to keep up with the cutting edge of technology at its most stupid. Hector is the owner/curator of the Obsoleteum. Biz and Phil are the Uptodateum's curator and hologram/android, respectively. The writers paddle their canoe down a river of dark, dark satirical humor with jokes that manage to go gleefully across the line but with so much heart and love flowing through it, it's difficult to be offended. One of my favorite lines in the series: "Your advice is as helpful to me as a career counselor's in a children's sanitarium."

Completed Atwood's "The Heart Goes Last." Not sure if the overall story winds up holding together, but the conclusion is powerful and much in keeping with one of Atwood's favorite recurring themes: "Freedom To..." contrasted with "Freedom from..." This was a fun novel to read.

Finishing The Chessmen of Mars before going on to former board member Mike "Captain Wow" Bockoven's first published novel. Also anxious to return to Roosevelt, Hardin, and The Golden Age of Journalism.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

About to start Pox: Genius, Madness, and the Mysteries of Syphilis (2003) by Deborah Hayden, a cultural history of that disease.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:13 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28