Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Ponderations on King Seesar 
Burning Godzilla

There are so many unique features on this daikaiju:

The only one who has floppy ears and a puff on the end of his tail.
The only one who has both fur and spiked body armor.
The only one who spends most of his time as a household knick-knack.
The only one pledged to protect a specific family.
The only one brought out of dormancy by music.
The only one who fights primarily by getting up to ramming speed and then butting you with his head.

Is it just me, or do other people wish there were other daikaiju with this many features you just don't see anywhere else? (Except on your last blind date, of course.)

What unique features would you add to a daikaiju that you designed?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

He's a weird one... and officially a golem, too! I recall some illustrated cutaway from Toho indicating he is made of bricks and other such construction materials, powered by magic or something.

My designed daikaiju don't tend to have any unique features; I like them enough just for their hugeness.

I would think a water bear daikaiju would be the coolest of all time, just make it 500 feet long!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 am
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:

Gorgo and Baragon have pretty floppy ears, although they lack tail puffs.

Cliffie wrote:

The Gargantuas have both fur and scutes.

Cliffie wrote:

Mothra has two "Oh pretty please won't you wake the hell up?" songs.

Nevertheless, your general point is a solid one. I'd like to a see monster with that multiple-pairs-of-wings motif you see so much in Semitic mythology, preferably in conjunction with some radically non-humanoid body plan. I'd also like to see a combination of mechanical and organic elements that goes beyond the usual notions of cybernetics; I mean something really upsetting, like a creature than runs on bone-and-ligament clockwork, with boilers made of meat that it fuels up by shoveling victims into coal scuttles built like heart valves. And I've long been a big fan of monsters with too many fingers per hand-- like the seven- and eight-digit feet of the earliest amphibians.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Gorgo and Baragon have pretty floppy ears, although they lack tail puffs.

Cliffie wrote:

The Gargantuas have both fur and scutes.

Cliffie wrote:

Nevertheless, your general point is a solid one.

But only Seesar has them ALL. And I feel bound to point out right now that scutes are not spikes. Seesar has spikes ON his scutes, in fact.

Even as a 10-year-old I doubted the singing woke up Mothra. Mothra appears to wake up when she's good and ready. Maybe it seems that way because I never went to church.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

OK, here's my suggestion. I would like to see more undersea/overhead daikaiju, like Dagora, who treat the air as their ocean but who all of course have radically different abilities. What about a flying proto-cetacean type of deal who paddles through the air the way a dog paddles in water, chasing down and putting the munch on aircraft because it's attracted to the heat trail a plane leaves behind? What about an immense sky-dwelling Whale Shark type of arrangement who cruises slowly up behind space capsules, the ISS and of course our low-orbit satellites, then sucks them down frogfish-style?

In space no one can hear you swallow! But when you poop crushed satellite innards onto Helsinki they take notice!

Or an immense swarm of littler guys that are attracted to spaceships, the outer surface of Mars colony buildings and so on because they love the taste of the vacuum-proof shell. In space no one can hear you go schloooooooop out a hole in the window.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
OK, here's my suggestion. I would like to see more undersea/overhead daikaiju, like Dagora, who treat the air as their ocean but who all of course have radically different abilities. What about a flying proto-cetacean type of deal who paddles through the air the way a dog paddles in water, chasing down and putting the munch on aircraft because it's attracted to the heat trail a plane leaves behind? What about an immense sky-dwelling Whale Shark type of arrangement who cruises slowly up behind space capsules, the ISS and of course our low-orbit satellites, then sucks them down frogfish-style?

In space no one can hear you swallow! But when you poop crushed satellite innards onto Helsinki they take notice!

Or an immense swarm of littler guys that are attracted to spaceships, the outer surface of Mars colony buildings and so on because they love the taste of the vacuum-proof shell. In space no one can hear you go schloooooooop out a hole in the window.

Fantasia 2000. The whales take to the air. VERY BEAUTIFUL animation.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:

I feel bound at add that Mothra is still Mothra, even when asleep. King Seesar is usually a lawn ornament.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
I'd like to a see monster with that multiple-pairs-of-wings motif you see so much in Semitic mythology, preferably in conjunction with some radically non-humanoid body plan. I'd also like to see a combination of mechanical and organic elements that goes beyond the usual notions of cybernetics; I mean something really upsetting, like a creature than runs on bone-and-ligament clockwork, with boilers made of meat that it fuels up by shoveling victims into coal scuttles built like heart valves. And I've long been a big fan of monsters with too many fingers per hand-- like the seven- and eight-digit feet of the earliest amphibians.

You've clearly been thinking about this. Do you have blueprints drawn up?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
El Santo wrote:
I'd like to a see monster with that multiple-pairs-of-wings motif you see so much in Semitic mythology, preferably in conjunction with some radically non-humanoid body plan. I'd also like to see a combination of mechanical and organic elements that goes beyond the usual notions of cybernetics; I mean something really upsetting, like a creature than runs on bone-and-ligament clockwork, with boilers made of meat that it fuels up by shoveling victims into coal scuttles built like heart valves. And I've long been a big fan of monsters with too many fingers per hand-- like the seven- and eight-digit feet of the earliest amphibians.

You've clearly been thinking about this. Do you have blueprints drawn up?

With Hideaki Anno involved with the next Godzilla, we may actually see just that! Bizarre kaiju are pretty much his wheel-house

It's interesting to me that (to the best of my knowledge), King Seesar is one of the few monsters in the G-Cannon to have a real-world mythological base (I think everything about Mothra is made from whole cloth, though Infant Island itself kind of looks like it's Ainu-influenced). Godzilla goes up against plenty of irradiated dinosaurs/bugs and aliens, but we really don't see him fight any other weird critters from Japanese myth.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Last edited by Evangelion on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:09 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
With Hideaki Anno involved with the next Godzilla, we may actually see just that! Bizarre kaiju are pretty much his wheel-house

It's interesting to me that (to the best of my knowledge), King Seesar is one of the few monsters in the G-Cannon to have a real-world mythological base (I think everything about Mothra is made from whole cloth). Godzilla goes up against plenty of irradiated dinosaurs/bugs and aliens, but we really don't see him fight any other weird critters from Japanese myth.

That is interesting. I don't know much about Japanese myths and folklore, but what little I do know, it's full to the gills with some of the most bizarre monsters and spirits I've ever seen. It's my understanding that most, or all, of the monsters in the Yokai Monsters movie series are based on real Japanese spirits. Even the umbrella monster, which I always thought was cool as hell.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

"Umbrella monster"?

Evangelion, the link in your post leads to a page marked "FORBIDDEN." What was it supposed to show?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
"Umbrella monster"?

Umbrella monster.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
"Umbrella monster"?

Umbrella monster.

Umbrella Monster from the movie.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Bergerjacques wrote:
El Santo wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
"Umbrella monster"?

Umbrella monster.

Umbrella Monster from the movie.

That's just disturbing.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:59 pm
Burning Godzilla

Fixed that link Cliffie but the picture turned out really small.

And if you think the umbrella monster is disturbing, there's also the not often mentioned shirime. They take the form of a faceless guy who walks backwards on all fours...because their only eye is located in it's anus.

Godzilla vs. The Butt-Clops!

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:11 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next