Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster: Two Versions 
Burning Godzilla

So I just watched my new copy of this movie last night and I confess I was startled to see all the changes. The DVD version seemed to have new monster-throwdown footage, and that's all good. The colors and all the other visuals are brighter and clearer, and that's great. But they changed so many other things for apparently no reason. It seems like a different, unfamiliar, and rather less inviting film than the one I grew up with...

>> Why change the dubbing? They gave everyone new voices; Taiyo, the character played by Kumi Mizuno, sounds kind of harsh and schoolmarmish in this version, and the guy in the brown hoodie with the kangaroo pocket went from sounding like an agreeable doofus in the version I know so well, to coming across as a total moron, even though he has good ideas and keeps everyone on the right track throughout the story. Very unfair!

>> Why change the translation of the Japanese? The meanings are no different, but a lot of the lines are less snappy and less funny. They even match the lip movements less well than the originals. As a kid watching this I always found myself getting impatient with the human dialogue; now it is going to be even slower and draggier for a generation of kids with MUCH shorter attention spans than I ever had.

>> Why change the music? The Infant Island rituals, backed by the familiar 23-piece Ricky Ricardo orchestra, is just not the same stripped down.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I sent for another copy of the one I think of as the original. The only reason I stopped watching it was that the picture was wearing off the tape. This way I get the best of both worlds. Now I hie myself hence to watch the subtitled version on the newer disc.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Kenny

Cliffie wrote:
>> Why change the dubbing? They gave everyone new voices; Taiyo, the character played by Kumi Mizuno, sounds kind of harsh and schoolmarmish in this version, and the guy in the brown hoodie with the kangaroo pocket went from sounding like an agreeable doofus in the version I know so well, to coming across as a total moron, even though he has good ideas and keeps everyone on the right track throughout the story. Very unfair!

They're actually old voices. The version currently available on DVD and Blu-Ray is Toho's international version. It was dubbed in Tokyo by Frontier Enterprises some time around the film's original release. The US distributor chose to have the film dubbed again in New York by Titan Productions. That edited US version is the one that was shown on TV and available on VHS up through the early 2000s. Why was it replaced? Well, the best answer is that Toho has superior available materials for the international dub. I would guess they have only an old video transfer of the US edit. It's also convenient that the Toho dub matches up with the full length Japanese version.

Frontier, by the way, was responsible for the Toho international versions of Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters as well. You can hear their work on those movies on the Sony DVD of Son of Godzilla and the old ADV releases of DAM. They also did the only English version of Gappa.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:52 pm
Burning Godzilla

ThatVHSGuy wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

They're actually old voices. The version currently available on DVD and Blu-Ray is Toho's international version. It was dubbed in Tokyo by Frontier Enterprises some time around the film's original release. The US distributor chose to have the film dubbed again in New York by Titan Productions. That edited US version is the one that was shown on TV and available on VHS up through the early 2000s. Why was it replaced? Well, the best answer is that Toho has superior available materials for the international dub. I would guess they have only an old video transfer of the US edit. It's also convenient that the Toho dub matches up with the full length Japanese version.

Frontier, by the way, was responsible for the Toho international versions of Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters as well. You can hear their work on those movies on the Sony DVD of Son of Godzilla and the old ADV releases of DAM. They also did the only English version of Gappa.

Well, that's very helpful information. How odd that the new and improved version turns out to be the old and unimproved. The question remains, though: does anyone know where I can get hold of a new copy of the version I prefer?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
ThatVHSGuy wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Well, that's very helpful information. How odd that the new and improved version turns out to be the old and unimproved. The question remains, though: does anyone know where I can get hold of a new copy of the version I prefer?

You'd have to settle for an old VHS tape, most likely.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Which I tried to obtain -- all I can find is the awful version. I don't know how to tell the desirable ones from the undesirable.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Did you get the Video Treasures VHS? I think that has the desirable version.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:

Yup. That's the old Walter Reade dub.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Hman wrote:

Yup. That's the old Walter Reade dub.

And just like that, it was ordered...thanks, guys!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]