Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
bird in human form, and werewolf? 
Mothra

Helping someone search for a movie that sounds pretty amazing. Here is his description: Way back in the early 1980s, when CBS was still running movies in the Friday, late night spot, I saw a low budget but superbly executed movie set among woodsmen/settlers in the 1800s. The plot concerned a collective of ospreys (birds) who elect one of their member to adapt human form and try to live among people. One of the birds assumes the guise of a beautiful young woman who marries a young man. The gist was that she was too innocent and not aggressive enough to live among people. The story was told with heavy voice over narration, much like Terrence Mallick's "Days of Heaven" and Avery Crounse's "Eyes of Fire." It was a African American male doing the narration, one of the supporting characters. At the end of the movie, you see the woman returning to the deep woods, a stream, where she transforms back into a bird. The narrator wraps up the story, but you see a wolf moving towards the stream. The wolf plunges in. The narrator says: "I sure hope there isn't something ELSE out in those woods getting restless." The wolf climbs out of the stream, shakes the water off himself and is transformed into a man. I thought the title was "Unnatural" but I haven't been able to find a trace of this thing anywhere. Any ideas?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:58 am
Burning Godzilla

The idea of an osprey being not aggressive enough cracks me up. I've watched them relentlessly harass bald eagles in hope of stealing a fish.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Mothra

The whole thing sounds bizarre to me. I'm pretty sure if this movie existed, I would have known about it somehow.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:03 am
Mothra

Found it! And it wasn't easy. It's called 'The Enchanted' from 1984. I have never heard of this film at all. He got some of the details around but basically the enchanted is about birds who have transformed into humans. I was searching through a few compendiums of horror films of the 80s and none of them mention this. This most be an extremely obscure movie.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:54 am
Burning Godzilla

Ro_manJohn wrote:
This most be an extremely obscure movie.

Extremely obscure, but surprisingly accessible!

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Website dedicated to this film:

http://www.theenchantedthemovie.com/index.html

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:19 pm
Profile YIM
Mothra

Thanks Santo and Victoria! Very cool. And Supersonic ... I think maybe the reason they said that about the birds was that the film was trying to make a point about how cruel people treat animals ... I guess. But I don't doubt the aggressive nature of those little guys!

Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]