Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Toho to Produce Godzilla film 
Burning Godzilla

Brother Ragnarok wrote:
That said, I like Smog Monster and I'm 100% ready for someone to take Godzilla and do something really experimental and crazy with him.

I second that emotion!

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Cliffie wrote:
Brother Ragnarok wrote:
That said, I like Smog Monster and I'm 100% ready for someone to take Godzilla and do something really experimental and crazy with him.

I second that emotion!

I third it. I love that movie; one of my favorite of the series, and the constant tonal shifts and nuttiness are a big part of it.

However, I've not watched "NGE," so I don't know how I'd react to his vision for a Godzilla movie. The last time we got a different vision, we ended up with Final Wars.

-----------------------------
And I don't need that kind of heartbreak again.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 pm
Burning Godzilla

It's very hard for me to say what we can expect from him. The guy is pretty infamous for his work, but it's pretty difficult how much actually about him is truth and how is internet here-say.

Based on from what I've seen from him (not just NGE)...the new Godzilla can be anything from a loving tribute to fans...or a nightmarish condemnation of them.

In a recent interview where he talked about what the major inspiration for NGE is he cited the Cold War

Quote:
"There was a real sense that if atomic war broke out, the world would be destroyed... That was the reality at the time, that fear of Armageddon... I sincerely thought that the world would end in the 20th century."

Anno went on to talk about how this fear manifested itself in the creation of Evangelion, saying, "It was a big influence on Evangelion, which is about what happens after the world has been destroyed. At that time a lot of Japanese anime dealt with what happens after a nuclear holocaust."

He added, "Japan... is a country where merciless [natural] destruction happens naturally. It gives you a strong sense that God exists out there."

So...one could argue that he definitely has the right mindset for a Godzilla film.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:49 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

So for the curious this week we got some cast announcements and stuff, as well as an official title, Shin Godzilla

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:30 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

At first, I was all "New Godzilla? Really? Is that seriously the best you can do?" But then I remembered that shin can also mean "true," so that we can read the title as either New Godzilla or Suck It, Hollywood.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Apparently this one is gonna be Fukushimazilla in the same sort of way that the original was Hiroshimazilla.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Photos of the new Godzilla design have leaked onto the net.

Godzilla looks like a real radiation victim here, although his arms look malnourished in the pix and his neck is a bit too long. Awaiting high-res pics to make a final evaluation.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:

Godzilla looks like a real radiation victim here, although his arms look malnourished in the pix and his neck is a bit too long. Awaiting high-res pics to make a final evaluation.

I'm on board with it. It's been a while since I've been truly scared by Godzilla (since seeing '85 in theaters, probably), and even though I generally tend to prefer him in a heroic role, I'm excited to see where this goes.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:34 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Hman wrote:

I'm on board with it. It's been a while since I've been truly scared by Godzilla (since seeing '85 in theaters, probably), and even though I generally tend to prefer him in a heroic role, I'm excited to see where this goes.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Apparently those pictures are of Godzilla's first form in the film. It seems he'll be going through a reverse-melting regeneration process throughout the movie.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

So my pegging him as a giant angry tumor was pretty much spot on.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Seeing it in color has me warming myself up to the design a little.

Also: Exposed muscle? Constantly regenerating? Attack on Titan connection right off the bat!

---Megalemur

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:35 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

He doesn't look healthy, but he looks very bada$$ed. And if this is only one of the forms he takes during the movie, I am more than ready to experience the others.

Not only can the title be read to mean "suck it, Hollywood;" it can also mean "think you can beat your nuclear swords into ploughshares? Nice clean energy for just pennies a day? Suck it, Reddy Kilowatt!"

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

GODZILLA VS. EVANGELION!!! THE MOVIE!!

...is totally an April Fool's joke by Toho.

They at least went to effort of making a fake website with an awesome piece of artwork!

---Megalemur

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:25 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

The first reviews for the movie are in. Some call it a disappointment, with criticisms that are ironically similar to those of the 2014 Legendary Pictures movie, while others praise it for being a compelling look at modern Japanese politics.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Shin Godzilla rules the box office for the second straight weekend.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next