Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Toho to Produce Godzilla film 
Destoroyah

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
Like maybe if my theory was proven, that Mothra mistook the Cleveland power plant for a giant bug zapper and thereby caused the Great Midwestern Blackout of 2003?

Like maybe if Mothra sided with Battra and Ghidorah against the children of the world and, you know, ate them all?

Mothra grubs, drenched in blood, exploding from their human host!

I think they should exit through the eye sockets.

You haven't recently watched Slugs, have you?...

Okay, before I go any further....did I somehow forget hman's true identity, or did I somehow never know it in the first place?!? How did I forget this/not know this!?

What next? Are one of you secretly Jeffery Combs or Bruce Campbell?

All right, Godzilla. I'd be happy to see a new monster, no question. I'd also be okay with lesser-used monsters. Spacegodzilla, Varan, Battra or especially Biollante would be great. I will also throw in a vote for Millennium-version Gigan, who was utterly wasted and needs a movie to shine in.

I love King Ghidorah so much that I'd be okay with a return for it, which I know puts me in the minority, but goddamn it's fantastic. I would also be happy with Rodan, who again I really like. I'm perfectly happy not to have either one show up, though.

Mechagodzilla I'm torn on; the first two versions gave us some of the best movies of their respective series, but the last one, although I liked the design and idea behind it, came in movies that weren't very good. I think I'd be okay without a new MG anytime soon, all told.

Mothra I'll completely pass on. Partly because it's been done to death, and partly because of the Mothra trilogy, a group of movies which ranged in quality from "crappy" to "1upmushroomy" to "MONKEYWRENCH YOU MOVIE." Seriously, that third one made me near-1998 Godzilla levels of angry.

-------------------------
Don't even get me started on what they did to Belvera, those monkeywrenchers.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:31 am
Burning Godzilla

The Rev. D.D. wrote:
Okay, before I go any further....did I somehow forget hman's true identity, or did I somehow never know it in the first place?!? How did I forget this/not know this!?

True identity?

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The Rev. D.D. wrote:
Mothra I'll completely pass on. Partly because it's been done to death, and partly because of the Mothra trilogy, a group of movies which ranged in quality from "crappy" to "1upmushroomy" to "MONKEYWRENCH YOU MOVIE." Seriously, that third one made me near-1998 Godzilla levels of angry.

I saw all three of them in Japanese, thanks to Video Daikaiju. I liked the first one, the overracting during Mothra's death scene (plus the upteenth incarnation of Ghidorah) notwithstanding. The music was really good and it was also one of Koichi Kawakita's most consistente films, FX-wise. The second one was really not that great. The third one was a real mixed bag. The city destruction scenes with King Ghidorah were awesome, and the fight between Cretaceous King Ghidorah and Mothra was well-mounted. Everything else...however...uhhh...yeah.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
The Rev. D.D. wrote:

True identity?

H-Man — The Rondo Award-winning author of EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS. August Ragone has commented on Japanese film and popular culture on radio, television, in print, online, and at events for more than three decades. As a teen, he served as Horror Host Bob Wilkins' "Japanese Film" & "Godzilla Expert" at KTVU TV-2. And has lectured at Lucasfilm.

He has contributed liner notes for numerous DVD releases, edited and authored over 150 subtitle scripts (so far), and written for periodicals such as Japanese Fantasy Film Journal, Filmfax. Video Watchdog, Asian Cult Cinema, Henshin! Online, Oriental Cinema, G-Fan, Super7, Otaku USA, and Famous Monsters of Filmland.

As an events promoter, the San Francisco-born native hosted the "Japanese Fantasy Film Faire" (1979), the first Anime & Tokusatsu event outside of Japan, and has gone on to produce live music and multi-media events including The Sleazefest, Incredibly Strange Wrestling, The Greaseball, Godzillafest, and Shock It To Me!.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I was under the impression that H-Man was a guy named Blake Matthews, who lives in Sao Paolo. Or are we now to believe that that was all a clever smokescreen?

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
I was under the impression that H-Man was a guy named Blake Matthews, who lives in Sao Paolo. Or are we now to believe that that was all a clever smokescreen?

Actually, it's São Paulo, but El Santo is right.

I think I confused someone with the first post in the thread. What I meant is that I had mentioned the subject in Grab Bag thread, but decided to give it it's thread here.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Dang. For a second there, I was really impressed. Not by the writing, but by being Bob Wilkins' teenage kaiju expert.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
El Santo wrote:

I think I confused someone with the first post in the thread. What I meant is that I had mentioned the subject in Grab Bag thread, but decided to give it it's thread here.

See, there people go again. Confusing effective marketing with the truth!

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Hman wrote:
El Santo wrote:

Okay, I feel better now.

Hman wrote:
The Rev. D.D. wrote:

I saw all three of them in Japanese, thanks to Video Daikaiju. I liked the first one, the overracting during Mothra's death scene (plus the upteenth incarnation of Ghidorah) notwithstanding. The music was really good and it was also one of Koichi Kawakita's most consistente films, FX-wise. The second one was really not that great. The third one was a real mixed bag. The city destruction scenes with King Ghidorah were awesome, and the fight between Cretaceous King Ghidorah and Mothra was well-mounted. Everything else...however...uhhh...yeah.

Well, there was some pretty good monster stuff and effects throughout the trilogy...but since they were aimed at kids they were full of bad child actors and the plots were simplistic and boring. Mothra's constant reveal of hitherto-unknown powers, and subsequent utter pwning of previously formidable opponents kind of grated, as well. It was like "Dragonball Z" meets the Gamera trilogy.

The first one is probably the best of the three, which says very little. I liked Death Ghidorah's design, but when it wasn't fighting Mothra it stood around burning a few trees and roaring. Not exactly thrilling. The overacting during Mothra's death was bad, but the scene itself with the larva and adult was actually touching (maybe even tear-jerking). Which means, yes, the actors were out-acted by a couple of puppets. Belvera and Garugaru being so much more awesome than the Elias and Fairy Mothra skewed my sympathies pretty badly, too.

The second one is bland and Dagahra is even less pro-active than Death Ghidorah was. Its design struck me as the next evolution for Spacegodzilla if it were a Pokemon (maybe vice-versa). Gogo made me want to punch things. At least we still had Belvera and Garugaru.

The third one had a couple of good monster scenes...and also some of the most embarrassing special effects I've seen in a giant monster movie (possibly the worst Toho has done, right up there with a couple of scenes from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah), a weird reason for Ghidorah to do what it does (i.e. destroy planets) that didn't gel for me, a lot of dull stretches with way too many bad child actors and the Elias...but really, even if they'd done everything else right, their decision to neuter Belvera and stick her on the back burner would have left me unhappy. With everything else wrong, it left me spitting fire. What a waste of her character.

If Ken ever lets me write a review for Jabootu, it'll be on Mothra 3. Although, to match up to Ken, I'd first have to review the previous two films. Which means I'd have to watch them all again...which, admittedly, would suck. It's bad enough I saw the third one a second time, thanks to Sadistic Sandy inflicting it on us at a prior T-Fest.

--------------------------
I truly lament that we never got a Battra/Belvera buddy picture.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:35 am
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
El Santo wrote:
.....But I'll happily keep waiting if they'll give us some completely new monsters 15% cooler than Battra or better.

As would I. That's a good point about Battra. As difficult as it is for me to buy into Mothra being even half the challenge to Godzilla that Toho continues to assert in several movies, Battra. particularly in its Hot Wheels-colored larval form, made me a believer that a kaiju caterpillar/moth could be a contender.

They really need to get more mileage out of the caterpillars. Have you ever seen a tree entirely eaten by tent caterpiggles? Is there some reason a concrete- or naked-ape-chomping version 100 feet long couldn't "tent" the sh!t out of, say, Moscow?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat May 23, 2015 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I'm hoping somewhere in the reboots and reimaginings, we finally get to see Hedorah vs. Biollante. LIFE VERSUS ANTI-LIFE!

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie talk about A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, the Farsi-language vampire movie set in Iran and filmed in Bakersfield, California. SPOILER: They liked it.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:29 am
Burning Godzilla

TelstarMan wrote:
I'm hoping somewhere in the reboots and reimaginings, we finally get to see Hedorah vs. Biollante. LIFE VERSUS ANTI-LIFE!

There is a LOT of room for improvement in the angry-rosebush motif.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The Attack on Titan trailers have me very hopeful about this flick. It looks like more of the effects than I expected are going to be CGI-boosted practical stuff instead of purely digital, and they look fantastic.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Brother Ragnarok wrote:
The Attack on Titan trailers have me very hopeful about this flick. It looks like more of the effects than I expected are going to be CGI-boosted practical stuff instead of purely digital, and they look fantastic.

Yeah that's looking and sounding pretty good. Let's not forget that the Chief Director/writer for the new Godzilla is going to be....Hideaki Anno. Neon Genesis Evangelion creator Hideaki Anno. Which means this could end up being the strangest and controversial Godzilla film since Hedorah.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:01 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

You know, I kind of hope it is.

Realistically, if we want more Japanese Godzilla movies (and I sure know I do), it probably can't be because it wouldn't be very likely to be a commercial success.

That said, I like Smog Monster and I'm 100% ready for someone to take Godzilla and do something really experimental and crazy with him.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next