This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
The Verrrrry Interestink TV Thread 
Burning Godzilla

I started the last one over 2.5 years ago - let's see how long this one lasts.

New for your holiday viewing pleasure: the El Rey network answers TBS's 24-hour Christmas Eve Christmas Story marathon with their own Christmas Eve 48-Hour Kaiju Marathon. Schedule from the press release:

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 24th

"Gojira" at 6 PM ET
In the very first Godzilla film a 400-foot-tall mutant dinosaur called Gojira, awakened from the depths of the sea, becomes a rampaging nuclear nightmare, complete with glowing dorsal fins and fiery, radioactive breath. Crushing ships, villages, and buildings in his wake, Gojira marches toward Tokyo.

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" at 8:15PM ET
American reporter Steve Martin witnesses a 400-foot amphibious monster, brought back to life by underwater nuclear testing, go on a rampage through Tokyo.

"Rodan" at 10:30 PM ET
A giant pterodactyl whose wings create massive, destructive winds as it flies by makes its way to Japan.

THURSDAY DECEMBER 25th

"Ghidorrah: The Three Headed Monster" at 12:15 AM ET
The citizens of Tokyo are subjected to an ill-tempered atomic mutant: the triple-headed Ghidrah, who breathes electric volts in all directions.

"Godzilla Raids Again" at 2:15 AM ET
Tsukioka and Kobayashi fly scout planes for a small fishing fleet, based in Osaka. A mechanical problem forces Kobayashi to set his plane down on remote Iwato island, and as he and Tsukioka are trying to make repairs, they are drawn to the sound of a horrendous conflagration and discover two enormous dinosaurs battling each other amid the snowy wastes of the island.

"Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" at 4:00 AM ET
Following discovery of the mysterious Planet X in our solar system, a joint U.S./Japanese space exploratory mission is organized. The explorers discover aliens who claim their planet has been under constant attack from the powerful Monster Zero.

"Godzilla vs. Mothra" at 6:00 AM ET
Abattle royale between two of Japan's most dangerous threats.

"Godzilla's Revenge" at 8:00 AM ET
A precocious little boy has real-life traumas including harassment by bullies and kidnapping by a gang of bank robbers. He escapes these dilemmas mainly by taking frequent naps, during which he dreams of journeys to Monster Island to partake in Godzilla's exploits.

"Terror of Mechagodzilla" at 9:45 AM ET
A race of malevolent aliens bent on world domination unleash the ultimate weapon of destruction on mankind, leaving them with no hope for survival but the power of the mighty Godzilla.

"Godzilla vs. Biollante" at 11:30 AM ET
After rising from his volcanic grave, Godzilla is threatened by a mutated rosebush.

"Gojira" at 1:45 AM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" at 4:00 PM ET
[See description above]

"Rodan" at 6:30 PM ET
[See description above]

"Ghidorrah: The Three Headed Monster" at 8:15 PM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla Raids Again" at 10:15 PM ET
[See description above]

FRIDAY DECEMBER 26th

"Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" at 12:00 AM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla vs. Mothra" at 2:15 AM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla's Revenge" at 4:15 AM ET
[See description above]

"Terror of Mechagodzilla" at 6:00 AM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla vs. Biollante" at 7:45 AM ET
[See description above]

"Gojira" at 10:00 AM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" at 12:15 PM ET
[See description above]

"Rodan" at 2:30 PM ET
[See description above]

"Ghidorrah: The Three Headed Monster" at 4:15 PM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla Raids Again" at 6:15 PM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" at 8:00 PM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla vs. Mothra" at 10:15 PM ET
[See description above]

SATURDAY DECEMBER 27th

"Godzillas Revenge" at 12:15 AM ET
[See description above]

"Terror of Mechagodzilla" at 2:00 AM ET
[See description above]

"Godzilla vs. Biollante" at 3:45 AM ET
[See description above]

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:52 pm
Burning Godzilla

The verrry interestink thing about this is that El Rey is apparently showing the Japanese and American version of the original 1954 Godzilla back-to-back. Too bad they didn't think of running The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms as a kick off. But still, it should give viewers an interesting contrast between the versions - particularly on how much was cut out from the original for American audiences less than a decade removed from the Hiroshima and Nagisaki bombings.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

We got a cheap DVD with four random episodes of the old series Wagon Train, only because Leonard Nimoy is a guest star on one of them. (There are also other Star Trek connections, some of which I'll note below, and Rodenberry famously described his new series as "Wagon Train to the Stars" when he was selling it.)

First:

"The John Gillman Story" (October 4, 1964) -- Bobby Darin stars in the title role as a wounded outlaw who is rescued by a young girl, one of a bunch of orphans being taken to some facility or other somewhere out West, and hoping to be adopted along the way. The wagon master doesn't have proof that Gillman (insert "Creature From the Black Lagoon" joke here) has broken any laws, so he'll let him go off on his own before a minor official along for the ride (Whit Bissell!), who has gone off to fetch a lawman, gets back to arrest the guy. But the girl desperately needs a father figure, and is also dying from some disease or other, so nobody will adopt her . . .

As you can tell, this story totters over into sentimentality. Notable not only for Bissell (Star Trek connection #1) and being directed by Joseph Pevney (Star Trek connection #2), but for featuring Ken Weatherwax in a tiny part; the only time he ever played a role other than Pugsley Addams!

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:16 pm
Burning Godzilla

Second:

"The Tiburcio Mendez Story" (March 22, 1961) -- Busy character actor Nehemiah Persoff has the title role as an aging Californio who has been fighting off the gringos invading his people's land for a couple of decades. He has to decide whether to trust gringo justice, represented by a judge on his way to Los Angeles to bring law and order, or keep fighting. Leonard Nimoy has a major role as a hot-tempered young man, about to be married to the daughter of Mendez, who wants to continue the battle, even if it means defying the man he thinks of almost as a father. Star Trek connection #2: Written by Gene L. Coon.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:36 pm
Burning Godzilla

Third:

"The Ah Chong Story" (June 14, 1961) -- Arnold Stang has the title role, as an outrageously stereotyped Chinese immigrant (!) who joins the wagon train as a cook. Add a lot of lame comedy to the offensive content and you have an appalling episode.

Fourth:

"The Lieutenant Burton Story" (February 28, 1962) -- Dean Jones has the title role as a young, inexperienced officer who comes into conflict with a bloody-minded sergeant as they track down a pair of deserters. A decent story.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Third:

"The Ah Chong Story" (June 14, 1961) -- Arnold Stang has the title role, as an outrageously stereotyped Chinese immigrant (!) who joins the wagon train as a cook. Add a lot of lame comedy to the offensive content and you have an appalling episode.

Ah, Arnold Stang. How your career bottomed out. You were in The Man With the Golden Arm, for God's sake. How is it that your strongest role was being the voice of Top Cat?

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:58 pm
Burning Godzilla

We just got the complete The Bob Newhart Show (1972-1978) on DVD and will be watching it for some time to come. Notable among the extras is the original pilot for the series (later recycled, with maybe half the old footage replaced with new footage.) Major differences: No Howard. No Carol. Jerry is a fellow psychologist instead of a dentist. More time is spent with a inhabitant of their apartment building who will quickly disappear from the series. We also see her husband and their two kids for the only time. The revised show is a vast improvement.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:55 am
Burning Godzilla

Into the third season of The Bob Newhart Show. For the very first time one of the jokes was vividly familiar to me. (An ice cream shop where the staff makes a big production out of what people order. Some guy orders "The Great White Whale" and the staff dresses him in a raincoat and yells "You can't do it! You can't do it! You can't eat a whale!" To avoid all the fuss, Bob orders a single scoop of ice cream. The staff gathers around him to yell "Single scooper! Single scooper! This man is a party pooper!" I guess this sticks in my memory because it's a direct parody of the Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour chain, and the behavior of the staff. Way back in high school, about when this episode was first aired, I knew a guy who worked at the place.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrell's_ ... am_Parlour

Quote:
. . . the "Zoo" sundae, is delivered with great fanfare by multiple employees carrying it wildly around the restaurant on a stretcher accompanied by the sound of ambulance sirens.

It's interesting to note that while I recall this specific joke, and I recall just about all of the characters on the show, I completely forgot that Howard was divorced, that he had a young son, and that he was involved in a romance with Bob's sister. I guess my lifelong complete lack of interest in having children blanked this out of my mind.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Into the third season of The Bob Newhart Show. For the very first time one of the jokes was vividly familiar to me. (An ice cream shop where the staff makes a big production out of what people order. Some guy orders "The Great White Whale" and the staff dresses him in a raincoat and yells "You can't do it! You can't do it! You can't eat a whale!" To avoid all the fuss, Bob orders a single scoop of ice cream. The staff gathers around him to yell "Single scooper! Single scooper! This man is a party pooper!" I guess this sticks in my memory because it's a direct parody of the Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour chain, and the behavior of the staff. Way back in high school, about when this episode was first aired, I knew a guy who worked at the place.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrell's_ ... am_Parlour

Quote:
. . . the "Zoo" sundae, is delivered with great fanfare by multiple employees carrying it wildly around the restaurant on a stretcher accompanied by the sound of ambulance sirens.

Wow.....I celebrated two birthdays at Farrell's at Oxmoor Mall in Louisville. It was sooo RED in there for some reason.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

"Better Call Saul" is the spinoff 'prequel' to "Breaking Bad" featuring a supporting character, Saul the self-destructive yet brilliant lawyer. It is amazingly good so far. The writing is top notch, Saul's character is complex, and the storyline drives itself effectively with hooks at the end of each episode.

But I can easily see this becoming formulaic as they appear to rely on a repetitive story structure: "Saul does something stupid, sets a sequence of unintended events in motion, gets into big trouble and then does something brilliant to get out of it."

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 pm
Burning Godzilla

I just finished the first season of Capaldi as the Doctor. I had high hopes, but they weren't actually based on anything but him not being Matt Smith. I ended up feeling like it might be the weakest season they've had yet. Just too many stupid ones.

But wow, the finale pair. I think Michelle Gomez as "Missy" might be my favorite performance by anyone in the history of that show.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I continue my orgy of 1960's/1970's television nostalgia with Logan's Run: The Complete Series (1977-1978). Only 14 episodes, including the pilot. I never saw this series when it first aired, my television viewing decreasing greatly when I was in college.

So far we've just seen the 90 minute pilot, simply called "Logan's Run." It starts by setting up the premise, using a fair amount of footage from the movie, particularly the "Carousel" sequence. After Logan runs off with Jessica, chased by former friend and fellow Sandman Francis, they have a couple of adventures.

Major change in the premise: The domed city where everybody is killed at age 30 is secretly run by a council of older folks, who use the ritual of Carousel to keep the population down. (Since we establish that babies are raised in nurseries and not by their parents, it seems to me that it would be easier just to limit births.) They reveal themselves to Francis and promise to let him become part of the council if he catches Logan and Jessica. Minor change in the premise: Our heroes find an old hovercraft (played by a car with futuristic stuff added to the body; you can sometimes spot the tires) so they can wander around this post-Atomic War Earth and encounter all kinds of societies as they search for the fabled Sanctuary.

With some Star Trek folks involved (particularly story editor D. C. Fontana), this setup reminds me of nothing so much as another variation on Gene Rodenberry's Genesis II/Planet Earth/Strange New World trio of failed pilots, all of them dealing with the protagonists journeying around post-apocalyptic Earth, meeting various cultures.

The first encounter involves some peaceful folks forced to live in an underground fallout shelter to avoid being enslaved by the Riders, nasty folks who wear metal helmets covering their heads and full length capes. They also ride horses and use laser rifles. After a little girl stupidly leaves the shelter and gets captured by the Riders, Logan has to convince the pacifist underground folks to fight to free the slaves.

The second leads our protagonists to a utopian city in the mountains, where friendly folks want to do nothing but serve them. You know there's a catch. The "people" turn out to be robots, who are intent on keeping Logan and Jessica as prisoners in a gilded cage. There's a pretty effective scene where the smiling robots take them to meet their Masters, who turn out to be skeletons. This sequence also introduces our other continuing character, a more advanced robot named Rem. (In typical science fiction fashion, they confuse the terms "robot" and "android" and "cyborg." Rem insists that he's either an android or a cyborg, but only the others are robots. I think this character is going to be a lot more interesting than our bland leads and their bland antagonist.)

Interesting coincidence: One of the servile robots, in the form of a woman with a lovely voice, is named Siri. I had to wonder if the person who named the "digital assistant" program (originally with a female voice, but now apparently you have a choice of sex) of the same name was familiar with this character. Alas, a little research reveals that an executive of Norse ancestry simply liked the name, which is short for Sigrid, which means something like "beautiful victory."

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:19 pm
Burning Godzilla

I'd dig seeing Genesis II again...

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
I'd dig seeing Genesis II again...

I think you can see the pilot on Youtube. I remember that show well, really liked GR's choice for the lead. Plus he found a nice supporting role for the great Ted Cassidy!

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:01 pm
Burning Godzilla

Finished Logan's Run. Not very good, but not terrible. Mostly felt like a weak version of Star Trek style science fiction. The usual SF elements thrown in -- aliens, time travel, and so on. One episode give the story credit (not screenplay) to Harlan Ellison, but it was pretty much just a murder mystery, so I assume it was changed a lot from the original. (Although he didn't change his credit to "Cordwainer Bird" the way he does when he's not pleased with the way things come out, so I assume he didn't hate it.) (One episode, a little better than most, was credited to "Noah Ward," which is what David Gerrold does when he's not happy.)

The only oddball episode was one with the heroes spending the night in a spooky old house, with the inhabitants attempting to return someone from the dead with black magic -- and there was no science fiction explanation for all this! It was pure supernatural horror, nothing like the rest of the series.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:32 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 361 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next