This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
The Verrrrry Interestink TV Thread 
Burning Godzilla

I just tried an experiment -- I listened to the audio of that elevator episode while at work. I figured I would hardly need the visuals to follow a whodunnit, and I was right. Just once or twice I backed it up to actually watch a bit.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I have noticed that too. The series works just about as well as a radio show as a TV show.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:38 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Small amusements: In the episode called The Adventure of the Blunt Instrument, one of the suspects gives as an alibi that he was at an all-night movie house, watching a double feature of She-Wolf of London and The Spider Woman Strikes Back. (Both 1946, which fits the period.)

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:01 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

The first two episodes of White Rabbit Project: it's no Mythbusters and doesn't much try to be. Meh.

The first two episodes of The Grannd Tour, on the other hand, pretty much is the same old Top Gear. Those hoping that the new show would freshen up the old format may end up disappointed.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I've been alternating Ellery Queen with the first season of Newhart. I understand the series (which I have never seen) underwent many changes during its long run, so it's much too early to make any presumptions. (I do note that the famous Larry, Daryl, and Daryl, of whom even I have heard, show up as early as the second episode. And I already know about the famous twist ending on the finale.) Even when the plots and jokes and co-stars aren't that great, Newhart himself has the rare gift, as did Jack Benny, of being an absolutely hilarious straight man.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:56 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
I've been alternating Ellery Queen with the first season of Newhart. I understand the series (which I have never seen) underwent many changes during its long run, so it's much too early to make any presumptions. (I do note that the famous Larry, Daryl, and Daryl, of whom even I have heard, show up as early as the second episode. And I already know about the famous twist ending on the finale.) Even when the plots and jokes and co-stars aren't that great, Newhart himself has the rare gift, as did Jack Benny, of being an absolutely hilarious straight man.

Like Cheers and Seinfeld, when the writing team get clarity about what Newhart is really about, the quality of its humor improves dramatically. Watch how Tom Poston and Mary Frann's characters go from stock bland to unique.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Wonder Woman: Who's Afraid of Diana Prince? (1967) This pilot test was produced by William Dozier, the creator of the Adam West Batman series, and though only five minutes long is possibly the worst comic adaptation of character ever brought to life. It has a Diana Prince living with her marriage obsessed mother and worrying if Steve Trevor is okay because the weather is bad and he will be stuck at the airport. This was the late 60s, Free Love and Women’s Lib were both exploding so there was no way audiences of the time were going to embrace an idiot heroine with a 50s sitcom mentality.

You can find my full review here: Wonder Woman: Who's Afraid of Diana Prince?

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Movie Mike wrote:
Wonder Woman: Who's Afraid of Diana Prince? (1967) This pilot test was produced by William Dozier, the creator of the Adam West Batman series, and though only five minutes long is possibly the worst comic adaptation of character ever brought to life. It has a Diana Prince living with her marriage obsessed mother and worrying if Steve Trevor is okay because the weather is bad and he will be stuck at the airport. This was the late 60s, Free Love and Women’s Lib were both exploding so there was no way audiences of the time were going to embrace an idiot heroine with a 50s sitcom mentality.

You can find my full review here: Wonder Woman: Who's Afraid of Diana Prince?

Christ. At least Linda Carter got to hit people.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:05 pm
Burning Godzilla

Wonder Woman (1974) Before Linda Carter's turn as Wonder Woman, ushering thousands of young boys through puberty, there was another attempt at the character by ABC and this time starring Cathy Lee Crosby as some kind of secret agent for the goverment. In this pilot movie she comes up against the smooth and ever charming Ricardo Montalban as the nefarious "Frenchman" who as acquired some top secret books that could expose dozens of undercover operatives. In this movie Wonder Woman has no powers, only gets into her costume for the last act, and aside from coming from Paradise Island does not remotely resemble the comic book character we know and love.

You can read my full review here: Wonder Woman (1974)

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Been watching 'Good Behavior' on TNT. It's an adaptation of the book of the same name by Blake Crouch ('Wayward Pines'). The main character is Letty, a beautiful, crazy con artist recently released from prison and on parole, who just can't do good for long enough to get her life back together. Her life becomes entangled with a hit man named Javier, and they help and harm one another from episode to episode as Letty tries to regain custody of her kid and Javier tries to get back in with his family.

It has everything you want in an adult drama - profanity, damaged characters, profanity, sex, tense situations, and profanity. Yet it's not without its frustrations.

For example - in one episode, Javier forces Letty to accompany him to a crematorium a day's drive away. In the trunk of their Tesla Roadster is the body of the person Javier killed the day prior, and the crematorium is his personal evidence disposal service. But this being North Carolina, recharging stations are few and far between, so it's a race to see if they can make the crematorium before running out of juice. (As I drive an electric car myself, I can tell you this situation is highly plausible.) And yet, the writers decide to artificially amp up the tension by having someone rear-end their car at a stop light, rendering the trunk uncloseable. (As I've been driving for over 35 years, I can tell you this event is highly IMplausible).

I haven't decided if I like it enough to stick with it, mostly because I can't quite yet see where it's going.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:32 am
Burning Godzilla

Wonder Woman (1975) No matter how many people don the star spangled costume of Wonder Woman to me Lynda Carter will always be the one, and I can’t think of another actress who has ushered more boys through puberty than her, but it wasn’t just how good she looked in that costume it was how effortless charming and sweet she was. She may have had the power to pick the back end of a car up, or toss Nazis around like tinker toys, but she never took herself too seriously, and certainly never lorded her strength and ability over anyone else. This pilot brought the comic truly to life and it's cast of solid actors made it immensely entertaining as well.

You can read my full review here: Wonder Woman (1975)

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Just up to the sixth episode of Newhart and already it's become self-referential and post-modern. There's a throwaway gag where Bob Newhart is watching his favorite TV show. We hear the theme song from The Bob Newhart Show.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:52 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Wonder Woman (2011) In this never aired pilot we get a version of Wonder Woman who has three identities; first there is Diana Themyscira powerful head of Themyscira Industries, then we have her costumed Wonder Woman persona whose crime fighting is funded by the merchandise sold by her company, and finally there is Diana Prince who lives alone with her cat. Basically this is like if everyone new that millionaire Bruce Wayne was Batman but he also had a third and "secret identity" so that he could chill and watch episodes of The Bachelor. This take on Wonder Woman so misses the mark that they have her interrogate a prisoner using torture, she just sets aside her Lasso of Truth unused. Not only does she torture dudes but she straight up kills people including hapless security guards who get in her way. This is by far the worst attempt at a live action Wonder Woman and no surprise that it was never aired.

You can read my full review here: Wonder Woman (2011)

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Just up to the sixth episode of Newhart and already it's become self-referential and post-modern. There's a throwaway gag where Bob Newhart is watching his favorite TV show. We hear the theme song from The Bob Newhart Show.

Not the most famous reference to the actor's earlier project to make its way into Newhart, of course...
(For better or for worse, certain people of my generation and afterward will go through life knowing nothing whatsoever about Newhart except for that that one mindblowing thing happened.)

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:06 pm
Burning Godzilla

Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show: "Bride of Darkeid" In this run of Super Friends they introduced one of DC's most dangerous heavy hitters Darkseid, but because it was a kid show they ramped down his power set and ambitions and had him spend most of his time trying to hook up with Wonder Woman.

You can read my full review here Bride of Darkeid

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next