Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Rant Thread - Irrational Overreactions Welcome 
Burning Godzilla

I feel we need a place to vent, hence this thread.

Mine - have you ever been in a work situation that imparts mind-numbing anxiety in every waking hour of your life? That's where I am now. Go to bed, work on the brain. Wake up, work on the brain. Weekend, work on the brain. No way out. Looks like I will have to leave to do anything about it.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Burning Godzilla

I am livid that it's likely I will not get an opportunity to watch what many people are calling a modern day classic horror on a big screen with a large, and very unnerved, audience.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Last night I was driving home from work, in the right lane, and somebody came from an intersecting street on the left, crossing over the left lane, right in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid crashing into them.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:59 am
Burning Godzilla

While my co-workers have many fine qualities, being organized is NOT among them. Is it too much to ask that just once, when I make an appointment to meet with my supervisor as a required part of my job, that that she be A) in her office and B) NOT shut in there talking to someone else for half the time? Today she did both to me. Talks to 2 other people for 20 minutes, then tells me she's finally available to meet...and disappears for 10 more minutes. I expect this out of my clients, not my boss for pete's sake.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Last edited by Cliffie on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Me (three weeks before the game): Hey, what does everyone want to do about tailgating for the game?
Tailgating friends: Grumble, I don't know, etc.

Me (two weeks before the game): Hey, what does everyone want to do about tailgating for the game?
Tailgating friends: Grumble, I don't know, etc.

Me (today): Hey, what does everyone want to do about tailgating for the game tomorrow?
Tailgating friends: We decided to tailgate indoors at a bar in downtown Annapolis. (no mention of where or when)

If that isn't sending a message I don't know what is.

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:02 am
Burning Godzilla

Back in the summer, he TOLD her in no uncertain terms, with a witness right there, that he wanted nothing further to do with her. Then when he boycotts Tanksgiving, she's baffled. I explained it to her. Twice. Now he boycotts Fishmas, and she's astounded when he isn't there. I explain it to her twice more. She keeps asking me all the livelong day where he got to, and then finally, as if she were coming up with this on her own for the very first time, asks me if he's angry with her. Is she stoopid or what?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

It would be great if there was some kind of training / procedures document so that people working a new job would know what to do in situations that are commonplace but sporadically occurring. And what the buttons on the phone other than numerals do.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie talk about A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, the Farsi-language vampire movie set in Iran and filmed in Bakersfield, California. SPOILER: They liked it.

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:56 pm
Burning Godzilla

Why do the most modern software design standards and fashions end up looking like 1996 AOL? I know you guys think 3D-look beveled buttons are way behind the times, but if you claim the flat colors we use today are in any way better or clearer, you're lying.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

TelstarMan wrote:
It would be great if there was some kind of training / procedures document so that people working a new job would know what to do in situations that are commonplace but sporadically occurring. And what the buttons on the phone other than numerals do.

Check under the phone or in the seemingly meaningless paperwork left by your predecessor in the hanging files in your desk. There should be a set of phone instructions SOMEWHERE. If all else fails, rifle your office manager's desk.

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hey... remember when I was all excited about auditioning for that band in the Awesomeness thread this past summer? Well, I forgot about the old-as-time road bump to any musical endeavor... the guys in the band not liking each other anymore. The bass player and the lead guitarist have decided that the other guy isn't getting in touch with them, despite me begging them separately and in shared e-mails and texts to "just agree on a practice time". So, it looks like things are done with that dream. On to the next artistic endeavor...

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
Hey... remember when I was all excited about auditioning for that band in the Awesomeness thread this past summer? Well, I forgot about the old-as-time road bump to any musical endeavor... the guys in the band not liking each other anymore. The bass player and the lead guitarist have decided that the other guy isn't getting in touch with them, despite me begging them separately and in shared e-mails and texts to "just agree on a practice time". So, it looks like things are done with that dream. On to the next artistic endeavor...

My lead singer decided he couldn't go on with the other guitarist so we just hired a new guitarist. Derailed us for about three months since we were performing with fill-in players.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

Modern technology rant:

The CD player in my car got messed up. When I put in something like a CD of old Bob and Ray routines, it would play OK for several tracks, then about halfway through it made a regular thumping noise that kept getting louder and louder until you couldn't hear the CD. So I took it to the car audio place. They said it would caost $400 to fix and $200 for a whole new radio/CD player. Obviously I go for the new one.

This being 2014, the new radio/CD has teeny tiny itty bitty little buttons, so it's hard to hit the right one. When playing the radio, it doesn't scan continuously; you have to hit the scan button to get to the next station every time.

Most annoying is the clock. It doesn't appear except when the radio/CD is on; I have to choose either the "standby" (used to set various parameters) function or the "USB" function (useless to low tech me) if I want to see what time it is without turning on the radio or CD. Even so, with the display set to maximum brightness, it's nearly invisible in bright sunlight. I'm going to have to find some kind of brightly lit clock to stick in my car.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:07 am
Destoroyah

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Modern technology rant:

Most annoying is the clock. It doesn't appear except when the radio/CD is on; I have to choose either the "standby" (used to set various parameters) function or the "USB" function (useless to low tech me) if I want to see what time it is without turning on the radio or CD. Even so, with the display set to maximum brightness, it's nearly invisible in bright sunlight. I'm going to have to find some kind of brightly lit clock to stick in my car.

Related. I have a super new, high-tech car radio that the previous owner installed. Pretty Tres Chic actually. However, it takes about a minute for it to warm up after I turn the car on before it will show me anything. Very frustrating.

The same thing happens when I try to turn on and off new fangled SmartTV technology. I turn it off and the power button shuts down, but the sound and image keep playing for anywhere from a second to a few minutes. Samething when I turn it on, about a minute to warm up the picture and who knows how long for it to actually start playing sound.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:44 pm
Burning Godzilla

Sounds a bit like what happens if you feed my bluray player a disc that has Java content. It takes up to two minutes for the Java to start executing, and once it does, it usually makes the viewing experience worse than the default would have been without it.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

For nigh on three years, my Windows 7 operating system has functioned extremely well. Elegantly, in fact. I prefer it well over the current version of the Apple iOS I use at work. So, of course, for Christmas, I get a huge 7 update (not to 8 or to an 8 hybrid, thank Christmas) but I still get something I am convinced was an overreaction to the Sony Hacking incident. The updates took over an hour to download and, once completed with about three mandatory computer re-boots - the OS was about as responsive as a corpse to a surprise birthday party.

There have been subsequent updates (READ: Fixes) that have restored most of the elegant functionality of my beloved operating system. When something actually manages to work really, really, really well, why can't programmers just leave it the f___ alone. Here's an idea: Test your F___ing updates thoroughly THEN update me.

By the way, new generation of "Cloud" storage geeks - I cannot imagine a less secure way of keeping track of sensitive information than "Cloud" tech storage. It has its uses. I love my Drop Box for sharing pictures that I want to share. I like keeping documents I'm working on available in Onedrive so I can access it hither and yon without dragging along a jump drive.

But the sensitive stuff - no freaking way.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next