Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Rant Thread - Irrational Overreactions Welcome 
Burning Godzilla

But we're all free to take our custom elsewhere when a site gets toxic. BMMB itself is like the slinky female aliens from Gamera vs. Guiron, moving from planet to planet, trying to fit in by eating the brains of the local children. If things get too negative, we just shuffle off to the next inhabited planet in search of more brains.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I like this vision that I am a slinky female alien in search of children's brains ..... I am exactly that, you know.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Why do so many digital music players, hardware and software, have a button to play one or more random songs, but no way to play a random album or playlist? Sometimes an album is a unified work and you don't want fragments of it. Especially with classical.

My car's stereo has a button which randomizes the order but only within a single album, which is exactly the opposite of what would do some good.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
Why do so many digital music players, hardware and software, have a button to play one or more random songs, but no way to play a random album or playlist? Sometimes an album is a unified work and you don't want fragments of it. Especially with classical.

My car's stereo has a button which randomizes the order but only within a single album, which is exactly the opposite of what would do some good.

I hate that, too.

Since I also have no interest in buying albums and a new turntable (I bought in once to the idiotic opinions of the hipster jerk version 1988. Never again.) So, is there a remarkable difference in the sound quality from a run-of-the-mill Ipod Nano to so-called "high definition" music players? Are they worth the expense at all?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I can't speak to the audio quality of the ipod nano in particular, but I will say for myself that when buying a phone I definitely went for one with a stronger DAC/amp combo than the typical default. Having high sampling rates and 24 bit support and all that stuff is basically snake oil for anyone outside of a professional studio, but the moment the sound goes from digital to analog, there are penalties for getting the cheap stuff.

What about lossless compression? For me, 256k MP3s are as good as CD, whereas 128k ones can fall slightly short, and 192k is generally good enough so I can't tell. Someone more discriminating might benefit from lossless compression but I think most won't.

What gets me is that people pay less and less attention nowadays to the actual sound-producing element: the speaker or headphone or earbud. These are the components where each individual model has its own distinct tone, where you still have to carefully compare with your own ears, and where boutique makers produce stuff substantially better than what the big consumer-electronics companies sell.

I keep meaning to buy a car speaker upgrade, and not getting around to it.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

So a certain intelligence committee head, Devin Nunes, has recently been making the news as a paragon of flailing panicked incompetence. And he happens to be the product of a particular ethnic enclave: Portuguese/Azorean dairy farmers from the middle part of California's central valley. In his other dealings, he does stuff like win a friendship medal from the Portuguese government, and try to force the Pentagon to move an intelligence base from Britain to the Azores.

Supersonic Woman just found a Nunes in her family tree. Her mom came from those Azorean dairy ranchers. Chairman Numnuts may be a sixth or eighth cousin, or something.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
So a certain intelligence committee head, Devin Nunes, has recently been making the news as a paragon of flailing panicked incompetence. And he happens to be the product of a particular ethnic enclave: Portuguese/Azorean dairy farmers from the middle part of California's central valley. In his other dealings, he does stuff like win a friendship medal from the Portuguese government, and try to force the Pentagon to move an intelligence base from Britain to the Azores.

Supersonic Woman just found a Nunes in her family tree. Her mom came from those Azorean dairy ranchers. Chairman Numnuts may be a sixth or eighth cousin, or something.

I'm a direct descendant of Portuguese/Azorean immigrants to Tuolumne County, although I think my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather found work as a miner.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15