Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Rant Thread - Irrational Overreactions Welcome 
Author Message
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:12 pm
Posts: 3783
Location: Minnesota
As a reminder, I honestly don't give a s*** about who's in charge. I'm a white upper-middle-class sort-of-straight male. Almost none of the fallout ever lands on me.

So I'm not saying this as a Trump supporter, just someone who stands against whichever side throws the most s***.

You know what's hilarious? The left hurling ad hominem insults and slinging guilt by assocation at everyone who disagrees with them. And then wondering why everyone votes for the right.

Of course nobody's going to vote for the loudmouth bullies. Why would we want to look like you?

(Funnier than that: someone calling Trump "overrated". I question how you can be overrated when 90% of sentences with your name are insults.)

_________________
"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised." - Brian Warner

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth


Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:36 am
Profile
Online
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 6571
Location: California's #2 tourist destination
Keep that attitude up, and the fallout can reach just about anyone.

I am a highly skilled white collar professional and should be pretty immune, but I'm not: I need Obamacare. They take that, I may have to immediately look for a new job, and have a hard time finding one in an industry known for its age discrimination, despite the fact that just yesterday my boss's boss praised me as one of the best producers in the department.

That's only the most immediately obvious of many ways that the spread of material coming out of the fan may splatter further than you think. For instance, you may not care about tree-hugger environmental issues, but then they put a leaky oil pipeline in your town and suddenly half of your neighborhood is sick.

_________________
"This is a Star Trek that pretends to have balls, but continues to prove that those balls are actually rubber prophylactics pretending to be balls." -- Bj

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s


Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9376
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
supersonic man wrote:
....they put a leaky oil pipeline in your town and suddenly half of your neighborhood is sick.....


If "they" do that, they are most certainly open to a major class action lawsuit involving millions upon millions of dollars and every lawyer worth his salt will be in on it. And one thing I can say about state and federal legislators - most are lawyers and would not support any legislation at all that would undermine their industry's ability to earn billions. Trump is pro-business, but not in the same way representatives and senators are. They are pro legal fees.

Please feel free to overreact. Regardless of its rationality or irrationality, this is the thread for venting and spewing bile.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 6571
Location: California's #2 tourist destination
You think that doesn't happen? Google "John Bolenbaugh". Maybe some lawsuits will get going eventually, but it hasn't happened yet.

_________________
"This is a Star Trek that pretends to have balls, but continues to prove that those balls are actually rubber prophylactics pretending to be balls." -- Bj

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s


Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:48 am
Posts: 4966
Location: Brighton, MI
supersonic man wrote:
You think that doesn't happen? Google "John Bolenbaugh". Maybe some lawsuits will get going eventually, but it hasn't happened yet.


One thing that deserves more rants than it gets is LST (Legal Standard Time). The classic move of every attorney these days is to stall the patooties out of the opponents until they give up in disgust. Civil cases get even more latitude than the criminal ones when it comes to stalling. And thanks to gag orders, you may or may not hear about those lawsuits.

_________________
Guy in bar: "I got 50 dollars in my pocket saying you're coming home with me tonight."
Girl in bar: "They're lying to you."
(from Psychos In Love)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!


Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 996
Location: Minnesota
As much as we can all rant about politics, let's try to stay clear or that topic shall we. There is no "winning" a politics thread/discussion only losing. 8)

A person comes up to me at the bakery counter and asks me...

Them: "How fresh is this?"

Me: "I bake everything fresh every morning. I get here about 4:30 am so I can make sure it is ready when we open."

Them: "Yeah, I get that, but.... how fresh is it?"

Me: Blink, blink, blink....

Can someone translate what this person wanted from me? I really don't understand what they were driving at.

_________________
*This space available*


Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:36 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5156
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Easy E wrote:
As much as we can all rant about politics, let's try to stay clear or that topic shall we. There is no "winning" a politics thread/discussion only losing. 8)

A person comes up to me at the bakery counter and asks me...

Them: "How fresh is this?"

Me: "I bake everything fresh every morning. I get here about 4:30 am so I can make sure it is ready when we open."

Them: "Yeah, I get that, but.... how fresh is it?"

Me: Blink, blink, blink....

Can someone translate what this person wanted from me? I really don't understand what they were driving at.


"It's fresher than Doug E. Fresh and the Get-Fresh Crew on the freshest day of their lives if they had an electrified freshing machine."

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:35 am
Posts: 2479
Location: Chattanooga TN
Reminds me of the person ahead of me who asked "What is half a sandwich?"

_________________
Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.


Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 pm
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 996
Location: Minnesota
Hman wrote:
Easy E wrote:
As much as we can all rant about politics, let's try to stay clear or that topic shall we. There is no "winning" a politics thread/discussion only losing. 8)

A person comes up to me at the bakery counter and asks me...

Them: "How fresh is this?"

Me: "I bake everything fresh every morning. I get here about 4:30 am so I can make sure it is ready when we open."

Them: "Yeah, I get that, but.... how fresh is it?"

Me: Blink, blink, blink....

Can someone translate what this person wanted from me? I really don't understand what they were driving at.


"It's fresher than Doug E. Fresh and the Get-Fresh Crew on the freshest day of their lives if they had an electrified freshing machine."


My wife said I should have responded with, "Are you hitting on me?"

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Reminds me of the person ahead of me who asked "What is half a sandwich?"


That is a meta-physical question that the world of philosophy still can not answer.

_________________
*This space available*


Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:48 am
Posts: 4966
Location: Brighton, MI
Clearly, E, they wanted to know whether you handcrafted the baking powder yourself that very morning, squoze the eggs out of the chicken yourself within the hour and lashed your children to the grinding wheel to make the flour before they got on the school bus.

_________________
Guy in bar: "I got 50 dollars in my pocket saying you're coming home with me tonight."
Girl in bar: "They're lying to you."
(from Psychos In Love)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!


Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 6571
Location: California's #2 tourist destination
I would assume they're asking what the rate of decay is, because they don't know how long a donut lasts.

_________________
"This is a Star Trek that pretends to have balls, but continues to prove that those balls are actually rubber prophylactics pretending to be balls." -- Bj

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s


Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 21
IMDb's closing their message boards. http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

From the looks of the announcement, they're going to delete all the content too. That bugs me. Even if I was never able to get an account (they wanted my phone or credit card number) I still liked the forum. There was a link to it at the bottom of every movie's page; the comments, tho sometimes harsh, provided extra info on the movie. I'll miss that. Doubly sad: the Internet Archive can't crawl IMDb's forum; the robot.txt file blocks them. Even the forum closing announcement is blocked. :x

(I already posted most of this on another website.)


Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9376
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
Pacman000 wrote:
IMDb's closing their message boards. http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

From the looks of the announcement, they're going to delete all the content too. That bugs me. Even if I was never able to get an account (they wanted my phone or credit card number) I still liked the forum. There was a link to it at the bottom of every movie's page; the comments, tho sometimes harsh, provided extra info on the movie. I'll miss that. Doubly sad: the Internet Archive can't crawl IMDb's forum; the robot.txt file blocks them. Even the forum closing announcement is blocked. :x

(I already posted most of this on another website.)


I loathed it. I have nothing to back me up but my assumptions, but based on past experience, the IMDB message boards was a ground zero breeding ground for the most pus-ridden of trolls. Anytime I read into those message boards, I left with this certainty: There are circumstances where the right to free speech should be yanked wholesale from the bill of rights.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 21
Bergerjacques wrote:
Pacman000 wrote:
IMDb's closing their message boards. http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

From the looks of the announcement, they're going to delete all the content too. That bugs me. Even if I was never able to get an account (they wanted my phone or credit card number) I still liked the forum. There was a link to it at the bottom of every movie's page; the comments, tho sometimes harsh, provided extra info on the movie. I'll miss that. Doubly sad: the Internet Archive can't crawl IMDb's forum; the robot.txt file blocks them. Even the forum closing announcement is blocked. :x

(I already posted most of this on another website.)


I loathed it. I have nothing to back me up but my assumptions, but based on past experience, the IMDB message boards was a ground zero breeding ground for the most pus-ridden of trolls. Anytime I read into those message boards, I left with this certainty: There are circumstances where the right to free speech should be yanked wholesale from the bill of rights.

Yeah...funny they made users jump through so many hoops to get an account & still wound up with a toxic culture.


Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile
Online
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 6571
Location: California's #2 tourist destination
I think it's a problem with scale. The larger an online community, the more difficult it becomes to actively moderate. Once the moderators fall behind, the bad drives out the good.

_________________
"This is a Star Trek that pretends to have balls, but continues to prove that those balls are actually rubber prophylactics pretending to be balls." -- Bj

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s


Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy