Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Rant Thread - Irrational Overreactions Welcome 
Burning Godzilla

As a reminder, I honestly don't give a s*** about who's in charge. I'm a white upper-middle-class sort-of-straight male. Almost none of the fallout ever lands on me.

So I'm not saying this as a Trump supporter, just someone who stands against whichever side throws the most s***.

You know what's hilarious? The left hurling ad hominem insults and slinging guilt by assocation at everyone who disagrees with them. And then wondering why everyone votes for the right.

Of course nobody's going to vote for the loudmouth bullies. Why would we want to look like you?

(Funnier than that: someone calling Trump "overrated". I question how you can be overrated when 90% of sentences with your name are insults.)

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:36 am
Burning Godzilla

Keep that attitude up, and the fallout can reach just about anyone.

I am a highly skilled white collar professional and should be pretty immune, but I'm not: I need Obamacare. They take that, I may have to immediately look for a new job, and have a hard time finding one in an industry known for its age discrimination, despite the fact that just yesterday my boss's boss praised me as one of the best producers in the department.

That's only the most immediately obvious of many ways that the spread of material coming out of the fan may splatter further than you think. For instance, you may not care about tree-hugger environmental issues, but then they put a leaky oil pipeline in your town and suddenly half of your neighborhood is sick.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
....they put a leaky oil pipeline in your town and suddenly half of your neighborhood is sick.....

If "they" do that, they are most certainly open to a major class action lawsuit involving millions upon millions of dollars and every lawyer worth his salt will be in on it. And one thing I can say about state and federal legislators - most are lawyers and would not support any legislation at all that would undermine their industry's ability to earn billions. Trump is pro-business, but not in the same way representatives and senators are. They are pro legal fees.

Please feel free to overreact. Regardless of its rationality or irrationality, this is the thread for venting and spewing bile.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

You think that doesn't happen? Google "John Bolenbaugh". Maybe some lawsuits will get going eventually, but it hasn't happened yet.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
You think that doesn't happen? Google "John Bolenbaugh". Maybe some lawsuits will get going eventually, but it hasn't happened yet.

One thing that deserves more rants than it gets is LST (Legal Standard Time). The classic move of every attorney these days is to stall the patooties out of the opponents until they give up in disgust. Civil cases get even more latitude than the criminal ones when it comes to stalling. And thanks to gag orders, you may or may not hear about those lawsuits.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

As much as we can all rant about politics, let's try to stay clear or that topic shall we. There is no "winning" a politics thread/discussion only losing. 8)

A person comes up to me at the bakery counter and asks me...

Them: "How fresh is this?"

Me: "I bake everything fresh every morning. I get here about 4:30 am so I can make sure it is ready when we open."

Them: "Yeah, I get that, but.... how fresh is it?"

Me: Blink, blink, blink....

Can someone translate what this person wanted from me? I really don't understand what they were driving at.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:36 pm
Burning Godzilla

Easy E wrote:
As much as we can all rant about politics, let's try to stay clear or that topic shall we. There is no "winning" a politics thread/discussion only losing. 8)

Me: "I bake everything fresh every morning. I get here about 4:30 am so I can make sure it is ready when we open."

Can someone translate what this person wanted from me? I really don't understand what they were driving at.

"It's fresher than Doug E. Fresh and the Get-Fresh Crew on the freshest day of their lives if they had an electrified freshing machine."

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Reminds me of the person ahead of me who asked "What is half a sandwich?"

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 pm
Destoroyah

Hman wrote:
Easy E wrote:

"It's fresher than Doug E. Fresh and the Get-Fresh Crew on the freshest day of their lives if they had an electrified freshing machine."

My wife said I should have responded with, "Are you hitting on me?"

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Reminds me of the person ahead of me who asked "What is half a sandwich?"

That is a meta-physical question that the world of philosophy still can not answer.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm
Burning Godzilla

Clearly, E, they wanted to know whether you handcrafted the baking powder yourself that very morning, squoze the eggs out of the chicken yourself within the hour and lashed your children to the grinding wheel to make the flour before they got on the school bus.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I would assume they're asking what the rate of decay is, because they don't know how long a donut lasts.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

IMDb's closing their message boards. http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

From the looks of the announcement, they're going to delete all the content too. That bugs me. Even if I was never able to get an account (they wanted my phone or credit card number) I still liked the forum. There was a link to it at the bottom of every movie's page; the comments, tho sometimes harsh, provided extra info on the movie. I'll miss that. Doubly sad: the Internet Archive can't crawl IMDb's forum; the robot.txt file blocks them. Even the forum closing announcement is blocked. :x

(I already posted most of this on another website.)

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 pm
Burning Godzilla

Pacman000 wrote:

From the looks of the announcement, they're going to delete all the content too. That bugs me. Even if I was never able to get an account (they wanted my phone or credit card number) I still liked the forum. There was a link to it at the bottom of every movie's page; the comments, tho sometimes harsh, provided extra info on the movie. I'll miss that. Doubly sad: the Internet Archive can't crawl IMDb's forum; the robot.txt file blocks them. Even the forum closing announcement is blocked. :x

I loathed it. I have nothing to back me up but my assumptions, but based on past experience, the IMDB message boards was a ground zero breeding ground for the most pus-ridden of trolls. Anytime I read into those message boards, I left with this certainty: There are circumstances where the right to free speech should be yanked wholesale from the bill of rights.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

Bergerjacques wrote:
Pacman000 wrote:

I loathed it. I have nothing to back me up but my assumptions, but based on past experience, the IMDB message boards was a ground zero breeding ground for the most pus-ridden of trolls. Anytime I read into those message boards, I left with this certainty: There are circumstances where the right to free speech should be yanked wholesale from the bill of rights.

Yeah...funny they made users jump through so many hoops to get an account & still wound up with a toxic culture.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 pm
Burning Godzilla

I think it's a problem with scale. The larger an online community, the more difficult it becomes to actively moderate. Once the moderators fall behind, the bad drives out the good.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next